Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Smoke on the Water Poker Run 2007 has been canceled >

Smoke on the Water Poker Run 2007 has been canceled

Notices

Smoke on the Water Poker Run 2007 has been canceled

Old 05-05-2007, 11:49 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

the driver was an unexperianced.how long did he own the boat.maybe he should not have been there in the first place.that would, i imagine would shift the blame.when you sign up for a run do they check your experiance.....or just experiance your check.

.....m.m....
Old 05-05-2007, 11:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was under the imperssion that it is boat a t your own risk.. Isn't that what you sign before the poker run. A liabilty waiver? ( Not to be rude) I love this event
Old 05-06-2007, 12:13 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fountain44
I was under the imperssion that it is boat a t your own risk.. Isn't that what you sign before the poker run. A liabilty waiver? ( Not to be rude) I love this event
if the participants are not screaned and the boats are not inspected there is a risk......all you need is money and you are a "speedboater"..
Old 05-06-2007, 12:39 AM
Registered

Shocking.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:49 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

it would most likely be the driver's ins co.(the boat, his umbrella, or both, whatever) behind the attempt to "spread out" the liabilty. They are the ones (corporate lawyers) fighting for thier (the ins co.'s) bottom line and to limit loss payouts. The insured has no control over this at all, though as the ins co.'s client/policyholder would be named as plaintiff.

the world is going tohell in a handbasket...
Old 05-06-2007, 12:55 AM
MES
Registered

As someone said tonight at dinner..... if you can afford it....you can run it. Just because you can afford a Jet doesn't mean you are able to fly it. I believe that if you own a boat that runs 120+ you should have to take classes to obtain a license to operate it(REAL CLASSES.....not the ones that last for 3 days).
Old 05-06-2007, 01:07 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by el indio
the driver was an unexperianced.how long did he own the boat.maybe he should not have been there in the first place.that would, i imagine would shift the blame.when you sign up for a run do they check your experiance.....or just experiance your check.
....m.m....

that, in all legality would put the promoter at
GREATER risk of liabilty. If say, I certify you as competent to operate your boat, and you wipe out, then I could be held at fault for certifying you

As someone said tonight at dinner..... if you can afford it....you can run it. Just because you can afford a Jet doesn't mean you are able to fly it. I believe that if you own a boat that runs 120+ you should have to take classes to obtain a license to operate it(REAL CLASSES.....not the ones that last for 3 days).
Be VERY carefull with your legislation ideas there, it would be just as easy for someone, anyone to make the case that no boater in his right mind needs to go 120..afterall,...its DANGEROUS going that fast, what is really needed is a speedlimit on public waterways, say 55mph.

Last edited by phragle; 05-06-2007 at 01:18 AM.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:05 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
Marc..I dont know how your legal team is right now, if you need anything give me a call, my sister is semi retired, but is a mi. atty. did does corparate law with expertise in the type of stuff your going thru. she has worked with cedar point, defending them in the various suits filed by people suposedly injured on rollercoasters and stuff..she has NEVER lost a case. she is also much more interested in a good case, challange then compensation. I know it sounds like a shameless family plug, but in all honesty she is well know for her aggressive tenacity and is truely at the top of her field. she has alson been on and around the water since we were kids. she is not one thats happy just winning...she goes for total annialtion of her opponents and like I sid..she has never lost.
Marc, I am sorry to hear about the cancellation. I do believe as a boating "family" it is time to look into something like this. Maybe as a group we could all contribute to a fund to pay a top-notch attorney to defend the future of hot-boats and poker runs. If we don't start soon, we are taking a chance of having none. OSO is the perfect place to begin this sort of legal review to make plans, rules, and fight for the rights of responsible high-performance boaters around the country.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:22 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ApachePete
Probably because the driver was sued by the families of his dead passengers, and he/his lawyers want to "lay-off" some or all of the blame on someone (anyone) else, thereby lessening what he has to pay himself.

Don't know any specifics, but would guess the driver has also sued Outerlimits, Mercury, perhaps the manufacturer of the steering system, etc., etc..

That's just the way it's done.
Right on.
Justice ainīt gonna be served that way.
But as El Indio said; Collect money and take the kids out for a Ride.
Forget the Poker Run.

IMO I have not seen Poker Runs do any good to the image of Powerboaters. Quite the opposite in fact.
If one wants to go fast, go racing.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:38 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Wow...how unfortunate that a few attorneys and well funded corporations can ruin so much for so many.

Quick Reply: Smoke on the Water Poker Run 2007 has been canceled

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.