Like Tree0Likes

Gas or diesel generator

Reply
Old 11-27-2007, 09:58 AM
  #21
Registered
 
jordy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
My Boats: Big beatdown pontoon boat. Bring your own fenders.
Posts: 828
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonziJapan View Post
If they are brushless type they will be the same. If they are brush type there will be spark arrestor screens over all the cooling openings.
So now we agree on that part. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonziJapan View Post
Besides it's not just the backend! The starter and the alternator on the diesel engine are not protected like the ones on a gasoline engine.

You keep making blanket statements regarding EVERY diesel generator and EVERY diesel engine, which on the basis of that alone, makes it incorrect. I know you're trying very hard to impress everyone with your knowledge, but a blanket statement will blow your argument every time.
jordy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:11 AM
  #22
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member
 
Wobble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: 2950'49.74"N 95 5'17.55"W.......TEXAS
My Boats: SeaDoo RXP & RXP-X, Stryker Equalizer 28, Eliminator Daytona Jet
Posts: 6,708
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordy View Post
So now we agree on that part. Thanks.




You keep making blanket statements regarding EVERY diesel generator and EVERY diesel engine, which on the basis of that alone, makes it incorrect. I know you're trying very hard to impress everyone with your knowledge, but a blanket statement will blow your argument every time.

As far as I can check, I find DONZIJAPAN's info to be spot on, as is his advice.
Wobble is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:29 AM
  #23
Registered
 
jordy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
My Boats: Big beatdown pontoon boat. Bring your own fenders.
Posts: 828
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobble View Post
As far as I can check, I find DONZIJAPAN's info to be spot on, as is his advice.
Well, we agree that you can marinize the alternator end of a generator, and the starter and alternator on the engine side of it are the issues now. Seems odd to me that EVERY diesel engine is incapable of being equipped with marine style starters and alternators. I can guarantee they're out there, but don't really care enough to look as the whole premise is silly. There are OEM boat manufacturers that offer gas propulsion packages with diesel generators. Guess they don't know what they're doing.
jordy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:36 AM
  #24
Registered
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tallahassee, FL
My Boats: 1987 Donzi 22; 2008 Donzi 28 ZXO
Posts: 1,654
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordy View Post
...There are OEM boat manufacturers that offer gas propulsion packages with diesel generators. Guess they don't know what they're doing.
Which manufacturers?
VetteLT193 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:51 AM
  #25
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Knot 4 Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Central IL
My Boats: Old/Heavy/Slow
Posts: 6,663
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassman View Post
What are the pro's and con's between the two. We do over night, and have always had diesel, but are worried about the Carbon Minoxide. Have the gas gotten better. Thanks Jeff
Exhaust fumes from either can kill you. I'd go with a small Westerbeke gas genset...and multiple CO detectors.
Knot 4 Me is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 11:51 AM
  #26
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
 
Jassman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 9,371
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteLT193 View Post
Which manufacturers?

My 2000 38 SS TG, 2000 42 Sonic, 2003 37 A.T., 2004 43 Nortech, 2007 43 Nortech but that was diesel engines as well as generator, and lastly my 2008 43 Nortech. I guess they all have no clue what they are doing.

Im going to check my boat to see how many CO detecters are in the boat..Thanks Guys.
Jassman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 11:58 AM
  #27
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
 
Jassman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 9,371
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobble View Post
Jassman I am sorry that you were given bad info, Carbon Monoxide is one of the primary products of any combustion. Here is a good article re: safety. http://www.yachtsurvey.com/carbon_monoxide_alert.htm
Thanks for the article, very informative. Here is a blurb from that article:

Sleeping On Board Most CO fatalities occur to occupants sleeping on board with gas generators running. My advice is to regard sleeping with a generator running as very dangerous unless you have a high degree of certitude that the exhaust system is absolutely secure, and that you have a CO monitor that is certified operational.
Jassman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 12:09 PM
  #28
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
 
Jassman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 9,371
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteLT193 View Post
Who cares? What he writes is fact. The regulations for marine gas engines are beyond tight. Diesel on the other hand are not tight at all.

Mix-matching gas and diesel is not a good idea.
Again like DONZI Japan, give me a reason, not some lip service. Educate me, SHOW ME ARTICLES..I have no problems with that, I learn every day. Ive been on here since OCT 2000, Ive seen alot of smack talk over the years. Good, bad or indifferent, Donzi joined last month, has 83 posts and Ive read the majority of them. I like to know whom Im talking with, it would be nice to gain some credibility by both of you filling out some more of your information. or LET US KNOW WHAT YOU DO FOR A LIVING SO THAT WE ALL MIGHT BE ABLE TO LEARN FROM THIS THREAD. Thanks Jeff
Jassman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 01:01 PM
  #29
Registered
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tallahassee, FL
My Boats: 1987 Donzi 22; 2008 Donzi 28 ZXO
Posts: 1,654
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassman View Post
My 2000 38 SS TG, 2000 42 Sonic, 2003 37 A.T., 2004 43 Nortech, 2007 43 Nortech but that was diesel engines as well as generator, and lastly my 2008 43 Nortech. I guess they all have no clue what they are doing.

Im going to check my boat to see how many CO detecters are in the boat..Thanks Guys.
The Nortech with diesels obviously doesn't count. The current Nortech, I thought, was the one the YOU added the genset to? I haven't seen a factory option for diesel gensets from Sonic, don't know what the other brands are from your abbreviations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassman View Post
Again like DONZI Japan, give me a reason, not some lip service. Educate me, SHOW ME ARTICLES..I have no problems with that, I learn every day. Ive been on here since OCT 2000, Ive seen alot of smack talk over the years. Good, bad or indifferent, Donzi joined last month, has 83 posts and Ive read the majority of them. I like to know whom Im talking with, it would be nice to gain some credibility by both of you filling out some more of your information. or LET US KNOW WHAT YOU DO FOR A LIVING SO THAT WE ALL MIGHT BE ABLE TO LEARN FROM THIS THREAD. Thanks Jeff
This is not a 2 second article, you have to put it together from the rules and regulations. I'm guessing it's because not many people would ever even think to do this.

I'll try to explain in basic language. you can look up the laws if you feel like it.

Your boat has to comply to Federal law (183.401), because it has at least one gas engine installed inside the boat. That law (183.410 specifically) points to SAE J1171, which is the international specification regulating marine starters/alternators/etc. and spark protection for gas engines.

Now, look up a diesel alternator, starter, etc. I did a quick google of one for a Yanmar (I'm pretty sure the engine mase uses?). here is the link... http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=115711F

Add all that up, and you can see what we're trying to say. And, the worst part is even if you managed to find a J1171 compliant set, the most important thing is that you (and future owners) always get J1171 compliant parts to go on it, which will be no where as easy to find for diesels.

FWIW: I didn't/don't mean to sound like a jerk with all this... it just is what it is...

Last edited by VetteLT193; 11-27-2007 at 01:04 PM.
VetteLT193 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 02:30 PM
  #30
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Knot 4 Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Central IL
My Boats: Old/Heavy/Slow
Posts: 6,663
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteLT193 View Post
The Nortech with diesels obviously doesn't count. The current Nortech, I thought, was the one the YOU added the genset to? I haven't seen a factory option for diesel gensets from Sonic, don't know what the other brands are from your abbreviations.
SS TG = Single Step Top Gun, AT = Active Thunder.
Knot 4 Me is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Buddy OO
General Boating Discussion
16
07-21-2015 11:14 PM
CAP071
General Boating Discussion
42
10-12-2006 11:45 PM
DJD
General Boating Discussion
2
03-23-2004 11:08 AM
THRILLSEEKER
General Boating Discussion
5
08-27-2003 09:42 PM
bsag
General Boating Discussion
21
01-27-2003 12:13 AM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:16 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.