Marine warrenty.HUH

Old 07-30-2007, 12:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: Outerlimits Sl44

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100-Plus View Post
Bullhead,

I have no dog in this fight, but Dean or any other vendor is under no obligation to "reply" to an accusation in a forum. Maybe he doesn't see the upside into getting into a he-said/he-said match here. It doesn't make him guilty (that would be a case of guility until proven innnocent, and we don't, thank god, do things that way) and it doesn't ruin anyone's reputation.

Reputations should not be made or lost on a complaint. As you have correctly noted, there are two sides to every story. Every business has or eventually will have complaints. It's how those complaints are handled that, at least in terms of service, that builds or destroys a company's reputation.

That said, it looks like the Bmax side is taking a hard line on a warranty technicality. Really bad idea. Good customer service would be to say something like, "Hey, technically the drive is out of warranty and the transfer wasn't made, but I want to keep you as a customer. So we'll fix it. " That would have been the smart thing to do.

Based on what I've read here, that didn't happen. And Bmax missed a great opportunity not just to serve a customer, but to create some serious loyalty, which translates to word of mouth and more business. In the service biz, all complaints from customers provide such opportunities.

This one was missed.
Actually I was qouteing post #41....however I have seen situations like this in the past on this forum where the vendor explained things from his perspective that did shed some light on how things went down....your right he has absolutely no obligation to respond.....I know he would have sold some drives(one to me anyway) if he had handled this situation better and I do think his reputation has been dinged

Last edited by Bullhead; 07-30-2007 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:04 PM
Registered

An explanation would have helped quite a bit, you're right about that. I just wanted to be clear that one customer complaint, even if absolutely valid, should not be enough to ruin a reputation. But if they start to stack up ...

And I'm right with you ... this situation could have been handled so much better. Bmax (Bravo Shop) missed a huge opportunity to build goodwill.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:29 PM
Registered

My Boats: 353 Fastech

I had issues in the beginning on some used ones I bought from a Bmax dealer and Dean stood behind them.
They are a great alternative to the XR.
I run 800HP+ through them and the uppers are going to outlast my IMCO/XR lowers 10 fold.
I just pull them at the end of each season and freshen them up where's needed.
It's very important on how they are setup and installed also.
BTW, When I called there just now, he came to the phone and asked me how everything's goin...he had no problem replacing the shaft as I heard it, even though you didn't register them and passed on buying the extended warranty.
Good luck in the future

Last edited by Back4More; 07-30-2007 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: Outerlimits Sl44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back4More View Post
I had issues in the beginning on some used ones I bought from a Bmax dealer and Dean stood behind them.
I run 800HP+ through them and the uppers are going to outlast my IMCO/XR lowers 10 fold.
BTW, When I called there just now, he came to the phone and asked me how everything's goin...he had no problem replacing the shaft as I heard it, even though you didn't register them and passed on buying the extended warranty.
Good luck in the future
Back4more can you run an Imco lower with the Bmax upper? and thanks for the positive input....maybe these guys can get this resolved and all be happy with the outcome
Old 07-30-2007, 06:02 PM
Registered

Yes you can....you just need the Bmax vertical shaft and coupler.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:27 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back4More View Post
Good luck in the future
Back4More,
I will say that Dean has always come to the phone when I've asked to speak with him. I also think that his drives have some definate improvements over the XRs. I wish that Dean had called me about replacing the shaft. Your post is the first that I've heard of this offer. I will call him to discuss this, as well as the rest of the parts that are needed.
I want to say again, that I am not bashing Dean or his products. This may have just been an unusual part failure. I was disappointed with the responses that I received following the failure, especially after the conversation that I had with him prior to purchasing the drive. Lack of warranty transfer or being out of warranty by a few days are certainly "reasons" that can be used to deny warranty. A strong sales pitch created expectations that were not met. Because of this, I did not expect a complete denial of any "warranty" consideration, due to "small technicalities".
Old 07-31-2007, 01:30 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: EX 99 MPH 272 Baja owner, 1999 Scarab 33 AVS NOW

Pitting on lower gears (especially STOCK merc ones) is inevitable with 800 plus hp. Sheared off vert shafts and prop shafts can happen too,none of these drives using these lower parts will last forever. I was only getting 10-12 hours (2-3 weekends) out of lower gears also with 944hp/962 ft lbs of tq in my single engine Baja. I have since experiemented with various gear treatments and am making progress in getting a longer life out of them,especially the 1.50 ratio lowers. If anyones interested in trying this process PM me,its 160$ to do a set of lower gears and so far it has at least tripled the life of them,Smitty
heres what my lower gears used to look like after 2-3 weekends
Attached Thumbnails
Marine warrenty.HUH-upnorth-022.jpg   Marine warrenty.HUH-upnorth-020.jpg   Marine warrenty.HUH-dsc04710.jpg  

Old 07-31-2007, 01:40 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Here is what the gears look like treated,the third pic are ones with 15 -20 hours on them and still no pitting,they are STILL in my drive and I am still not getting metal in the oil yet,Smitty
Attached Thumbnails
Marine warrenty.HUH-boyne-178.jpg   Marine warrenty.HUH-boyne-165.jpg   Marine warrenty.HUH-dsc04712.jpg  

Old 07-31-2007, 01:40 AM
Registered

Rackster,
Let us know how it goes...

Smitty,
With those treated lower gears and the Bmax uppers...I should need not worry about holding the sticks against the wall....as much.

Last edited by Back4More; 07-31-2007 at 01:46 AM.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I even sheared off a prop shaft trying to turn a maximus 5 blade and gears STILL looked like new,Smitty
Attached Thumbnails
Marine warrenty.HUH-dsc04701.jpg   Marine warrenty.HUH-dsc04702.jpg