Like Tree0Likes

Marine warrenty.HUH

Old 07-27-2007, 03:06 PM
AKA NoMoBoatin
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOMOGOFAST View Post
I don't have a problem with a warranty term being expired or not transferring the warranty. The problem is reputation. The guy that bought my boat just wanted to get it fixed, he has money and wasn't even worried about the warranty. He just asked if Dean would take care of it. It doesn't hurt to ask. Dean couldn't even supply the parts if he bought them. That is ridiculous if you ask me. So even if the drive was under warranty you couldn't get it fixed. We definitely need a spot on this site for this kind of situation.

Dean, it's very one sided if you don't reply. This is what ruins reputations and decreases your sales. I know there are two sides of every story, but no reply leads me to believe I am right.
I think it's too late for him even if he does responds.
I know you will never hear Jerri say this but "YOUR RIGHT".
Old 07-28-2007, 09:15 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

My Boats: 36' Apache Warrior / 22' Apache Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmanrich37 View Post
Not sure but I think 900 hp and he thinks he didn't loose but 1 mph.
That's a lot of ponies but still within 50 hp of the drives limits. I'd still like to know what broke in the drive...... If it's the upper, the lower, a shaft or what..... Was it a catostrophic failure like the Konrad in the other thread or did something just break that can easily be fixed?? Please post pictures...

He only lost 1 mph, I wonder why you lost "12"? Must be that your hull/power didn't like the gear ratio.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:21 AM
AKA NoMoBoatin
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther View Post
That's a lot of ponies but still within 50 hp of the drives limits. I'd still like to know what broke in the drive...... If it's the upper, the lower, a shaft or what..... Was it a catostrophic failure like the Konrad in the other thread or did something just break that can easily be fixed?? Please post pictures...

He only lost 1 mph, I wonder why you lost "12"? Must be that your hull/power didn't like the gear ratio.
I think it was gear ratio on my A/T that killed the speed.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:04 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther View Post

The drive shaft , in the lower, broke in the splines above the pinion gear. This damaged the gear set, as well as cracking the lower housing. The lower gears do show signs that they were "giving up" as well (stress cracks and pitting on gear faces). I think that the housing is repairable, so it will need a drive shaft, gear set, bearings, and seal kit to put it together.
This is a single engine application (29' Fountain), so the drive carries 100% of the load all of the time. I did call Dean, when we were researching drives, and was assured that this was the "last drive that we would ever need", for this application. It was understood that there may be some speed loss(due to gear ratio change). That was acceptable, as a trade for reliability. That is why we decided to go with the B Max.
I understand warranties, and have been in the "boating" industry at every level. I do not feel that Dean owes us 100% coverage, under the circumstances (second owner, 6 days out of warranty per Dean). I would expect that some kind of offer to "share the cost" could have helped both of us. He could have offered a discount on parts,labor, or both and still not lost money in honering a warranty, that is less than a week out. This could have turned a bad situation, into some good publicity for his company. Not only that, it would give him an oppurtunity to inspect the failed part, and determine if changes need to be made. That's very important, when you have a failure where there shouldn't be (may need to change parts or modify warranty).
I now have the second B Max on the boat, and have to wonder...when is it going to let us down??? There is no confidence in this drive now.
That is my side (opinion) of this situation. I am not bashing Dean, or his products. I just wish that our "reasonable expectations" had been met.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:19 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

My Boats: 36' Apache Warrior / 22' Apache Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackster View Post
The drive shaft , in the lower, broke in the splines above the pinion gear. This damaged the gear set, as well as cracking the lower housing. The lower gears do show signs that they were "giving up" as well (stress cracks and pitting on gear faces). I think that the housing is repairable, so it will need a drive shaft, gear set, bearings, and seal kit to put it together.
This is a single engine application (29' Fountain), so the drive carries 100% of the load all of the time. I did call Dean, when we were researching drives, and was assured that this was the "last drive that we would ever need", for this application. It was understood that there may be some speed loss(due to gear ratio change). That was acceptable, as a trade for reliability. That is why we decided to go with the B Max.
I understand warranties, and have been in the "boating" industry at every level. I do not feel that Dean owes us 100% coverage, under the circumstances (second owner, 6 days out of warranty per Dean). I would expect that some kind of offer to "share the cost" could have helped both of us. He could have offered a discount on parts,labor, or both and still not lost money in honering a warranty, that is less than a week out. This could have turned a bad situation, into some good publicity for his company. Not only that, it would give him an oppurtunity to inspect the failed part, and determine if changes need to be made. That's very important, when you have a failure where there shouldn't be (may need to change parts or modify warranty).
I now have the second B Max on the boat, and have to wonder...when is it going to let us down??? There is no confidence in this drive now.
That is my side (opinion) of this situation. I am not bashing Dean, or his products. I just wish that our "reasonable expectations" had been met.
I understand your frustration and I hope I never have a problem with mine either......

But, the lower is the weak link and they have/can blow up if you miss throttle. I know a few guys who have broken lowers before and it was usually the verticle shaft or the prop shaft. The drive may not have blew up from you miss throttling but it may have been hurt from the previous owner.

Warranty or no warranty they are going to try and figure out why the drive failed and when it's a broken shaft its either from a high X Dimension or a miss throttle.

This of course is my opinion and experience.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:54 PM
Registered

My Boats: 06 Concept 36'

Rackster,

You mentioned pitting on the gearset. When the guy that bought my boat tore the drive apart to replace the clutch he also told me there was quite a bit of pitting on the gearset and some signs of cracking. Dean couldn't answer the question of why and again, and didn't have the parts to send him while he had the drive apart.

Good Luck, I don't miss broken drives anymore, I feel your pain$$$$$$$$$$$.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:31 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOMOGOFAST View Post
Rackster,

You mentioned pitting on the gearset. When the guy that bought my boat tore the drive apart to replace the clutch he also told me there was quite a bit of pitting on the gearset and some signs of cracking. Dean couldn't answer the question of why and again, and didn't have the parts to send him while he had the drive apart.

Good Luck, I don't miss broken drives anymore, I feel your pain$$$$$$$$$$$.
I assume that you are referring to the upper gear set. I have not checked them yet. Dean told me that his gears didn't stress crack,because of his hardening process.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: Outerlimits Sl44

Dean, it's very one sided if you don't reply. This is what ruins reputations and decreases your sales. I know there are two sides of every story, but no reply leads me to believe I am right.[/QUOTE]

This is a very true statement.....there are alot of high HP single engine applications in the area where this 29 fountain runs the most....we were all watching to see how he made out with this drive and especially curious how the manufacturer was going handle the situation after it broke....guess we got our answer...one more we can cross off the list
Old 07-29-2007, 11:08 PM
Registered

Bullhead,

I have no dog in this fight, but Dean or any other vendor is under no obligation to "reply" to an accusation in a forum. Maybe he doesn't see the upside into getting into a he-said/he-said match here. It doesn't make him guilty (that would be a case of guility until proven innnocent, and we don't, thank god, do things that way) and it doesn't ruin anyone's reputation.

Reputations should not be made or lost on a complaint. As you have correctly noted, there are two sides to every story. Every business has or eventually will have complaints. It's how those complaints are handled that, at least in terms of service, that builds or destroys a company's reputation.

That said, it looks like the Bmax side is taking a hard line on a warranty technicality. Really bad idea. Good customer service would be to say something like, "Hey, technically the drive is out of warranty and the transfer wasn't made, but I want to keep you as a customer. So we'll fix it. " That would have been the smart thing to do.

Based on what I've read here, that didn't happen. And Bmax missed a great opportunity not just to serve a customer, but to create some serious loyalty, which translates to word of mouth and more business. In the service biz, all complaints from customers provide such opportunities.

This one was missed.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:49 AM
Registered

My Boats: 2006 Sonic 32 CC Sport

And there is not two sides to every story there are THREE sides, Yours , Mine , and the TRUTH.......

Dean is just like almost all of the other Marine suppliers out there, get your money and run. There is something very wrong in our hobby that alows them to do this and we just roll over and let them keep on selling products. My .02