Notices

41ft Cig with diesel's

Old 01-27-2002, 12:32 PM
airship2

I have one of the 41's 1986 with the 375 cats(turbo/intercooled). I have arnesons with rolla props and Twin Disc transmissions. When I bought the boat 4 years ago I was told by the Scott Smith at Cigarette the boat was orgionally designed to to hit 55 MPH with this configuration. 15+ years later mine will top out at appx 52MPH in fresh water. Although no speed demon, I do cruise at 85% of WOT or 45MPH all day. As far as this boat goes,at 23 MPH the cats need some attention, without even seening the boat I would guess there is a fuel problem. Tank, Filters, lines, pickups ect. Nothing really hard, just time. The drives are another matter, I have no experience with merc outdrives but I can garantee if and when the motors got squared away, the tourqe would snap them right off. All in all the boat look pretty rough but for 10,000 that is alot of boat. Although we don't want to admit it, she will tell you, your size matters more than your speed.

Old 01-27-2002, 02:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I didn't have a boat right now I'd be on that deal like a fly on poop. It's exactly what I'm looking for as my next boat. And I'd agree with Airship about the fuel problem. I've run the 3208 Cats in the past and consider them to be a decent engine.
Old 01-28-2002, 12:47 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

i like big boats but if she runs 23mph that is just sad. Imagine running an offshore deep vee and getting passed by sailboats!!!!
Old 01-28-2002, 01:09 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
airship2 ,Welcome to the board !
THose boats are cool .Often thought about getting one myself . THatboat will go faster like airship2 said ,it just needs some TLC !

Old 01-28-2002, 07:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks Boot, I've been lurking for about four months, BTW I really like the OE's too. The new diesel sounds cool. Puder your right about not spilling your drink. I can't tell you how many times some guy flys by in the smooth stuff and when they get to open water they go flying all over the place. We just keep on going. I can only imagine how much beer must be getting spilled all over the boat. I would like to hear an opinion on that 48' OE w/6's. I think this is one of those grass is greener things, but then I think about the motors, drives, cat insurance. Mechanically, I am really spoiled. All I do is change the oil every year and every other year the arnesons are inspected and they have been fine to date. Of course with an older boat the list of projects are always there. But that is why I am here. Trying to learn a little and help if I can.

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: airship ]
Old 01-28-2002, 10:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

If that is the same one that used to be in the Northwest I know that it ran over 45MPH three years ago when it was over for the fun run in Silverdale.(Didn't run they just came to watch, the boat could sure haul a load of people.
Caleb
Old 01-28-2002, 11:46 PM
Registered

heck to a trawler that thing is a performance boat at 23mph. I have been on 36' grand banks that will do 10knts with current, wind, and someone pushing.
Old 01-29-2002, 12:20 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

i know when i get old and decrepid i will get a slower cruisers (it happens to the best of us). I might even learn to enjoya slow leasureley(sp) trip but even then i am pretty sure 10knots will still be frikkin dirt slow!!!!! I know they run forever on one tank of jiuce but still 10knots!!!! Even if you coudl run 1000miles on a full tank it woudl take a week of solid runngin to ever get there!!!!