Notices

Ethanol Bad Gas?????

Old 09-12-2007, 09:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am going to drain my tank dry before i store the boat....

you get your boat back yet????

gonna suck to have to spend 10 hrs breakin it in again....LOL
Old 09-13-2007, 10:30 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts

There was an article that I read a while ago and it was from Hawaii and boaters were experiencing a great deal of problems when using Ethanol based fuel. Ethanol was mandated to be used in all fuels on the Islands and the problems were mainly with Marine Engines and other small engines that would be stored for periods.

It breaks down some gaskets and fuel lines on older boats causing motors to clog with debris and at times damaging the engines. The only way I would run it is if you were going to run it completely out after use and use it when Non-Ethanol fuel was unavailable.

I don't think this is the exact article but they do have a lot of problems over their when using E10.

http://starbulletin.com/2007/02/18/s...pendleton.html
Old 09-13-2007, 12:05 PM
Registered

We have had a number of these 496HO high pressure boost pumps blow out from broken down fuel lines due to ETHANOL in the fuel. Here is a pic of the clogged dried rubber which feel like sand when rubbed between two fingers.
Attached Thumbnails Ethanol Bad Gas?????-dsc03629.jpg  
Old 09-13-2007, 12:52 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Funny, last night I just caught a segment of the evening news, which stated; new info was finding that ethanol was causing problems with the enviroment. This was actually coming from the enviromentalists. We can only hope it goes away.

Darrell.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:34 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Break-down of compounds not designed for use with ethanol is one of the big problems, especially with some of the older two-stroke engines/equipment. I've got some real problems here at the ranch with stuff like chainsaws, blowers and the like.
Startron may be an answer in helping with the phase separation problem if added to the fuel when it's fresh, but it's not going to help if it already has occurred, or if condensation has already invaded the fuel tank.
This is creating a lot more work in protecting our equipment; quite maddening when you think of the insane prices we're having to pay for the stuff!
Old 09-14-2007, 08:02 AM
Registered

So.... I got her running. I think it was more bad gas than E-10 I took off My Recor filter & it was bad, I saw a ton of seperation. I just removed my carbs & they looked like hell!!!! I just cleaned them I will put them on today. I am head across the bay & down the Choptank. Wish me luck, if not any Boat US Capt. out there?
Old 09-14-2007, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

The East coast must get a different E-10 than we do in the Midwest. We've been on E-10 for years here and I have never had a problem with fuel going bad over the winter in my boat. I always top the tank off (with either 89 or 91 to account for octane drop) and treat with Sta-Bil and the boat runs like a top every spring. I've read all the reports but real-world tests here show that the gas does not go bad as quickly as reported.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:17 AM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
The East coast must get a different E-10 than we do in the Midwest. We've been on E-10 for years here and I have never had a problem with fuel going bad over the winter in my boat. I always top the tank off (with either 89 or 91 to account for octane drop) and treat with Sta-Bil and the boat runs like a top every spring. I've read all the reports but real-world tests here show that the gas does not go bad as quickly as reported.

I've had the same experience here in No. Illinois, until recently. There are all kinds of problems with the fuel now since the manadated removal of MTBE.
I'm no chemist, but it seems obvious that ethanol-spiked fuel wasn't as a big a problem with MTBE in the fuel as it is now with it removed.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:42 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=omerta one;2267267]From Powerboat Magazine:

Ethanol Attraction

Speaking of gas tanks, I remembered a letter that appeared over a year ago in Powerboat (Teague on Tech, December 2005, Page 18). A boater worried that ethanol might be eating through his fiberglass gas tank. Turns out it can do that and eat some older hoses too. Bob Teague recommended replacing the fiberglass tanks.

omerta one Hey Big Daddy any chance you have that powerboat i could get a copy or buy it from u
thnx
Old 02-14-2008, 04:25 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=RunninHotRacing158;2445296]
Originally Posted by omerta one
From Powerboat Magazine:

Ethanol Attraction

Speaking of gas tanks, I remembered a letter that appeared over a year ago in Powerboat (Teague on Tech, December 2005, Page 18). A boater worried that ethanol might be eating through his fiberglass gas tank. Turns out it can do that and eat some older hoses too. Bob Teague recommended replacing the fiberglass tanks.

omerta one Hey Big Daddy any chance you have that powerboat i could get a copy or buy it from u
thnx
If your boat already has Fiberglass tanks what do you replace them with???????????????

Quick Reply: Ethanol Bad Gas?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.