Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Diesel High Performance package-Is there Demand? >

Diesel High Performance package-Is there Demand?

Notices

Diesel High Performance package-Is there Demand?

Old 11-16-2007, 07:37 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Correction:

Owner of site is Curtis Halvorsen formerly with Gale Banks and Mclaren. He was contracted by Mark Nemschoff to develop the special Duramax package for Mark in the former Tommy Bahama boat. I know they had some drive development issues that have slowed the project, but the horsepower and torque numbers are real since I've seen the motor produce the power on the dyno. The real question now is reliability and overall cost. right now I think you're still looking at a $50K powerplant and at least a $25K drive package which still puts this type of power at $75K to $80K minimum per engine which is way to pricey for that average
"Joe performance boater" It will be interesting to see the real results from both this package and the Penninsular Duramax piece as they are really apart in horsepower delivery and rpm ranges and "just diesel" and " just affordable won't cut it in todays market.

The Story Continues!!

Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 11-18-2007, 01:02 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

While you guys are searching for big HP diesels , there's another interesting new product [albeit Steyr has been around for a long time ]
Mercruiser is involved in you may be interested to check out . My friend works for Channel Marine and a distributor for this product . 600 pound monoblock [ no head gaskets to worry about] engine producing 500 footpound of torque .Would fit just right in my potatochip boat !

http://www.channelmarinepower.com/products.html

Last edited by spectras only; 11-18-2007 at 01:05 AM.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would 5,000,000 foot pounds do the job?

http://people.bath.ac.uk/ccsshb/12cyl/

Old 11-18-2007, 07:23 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddy OO
I thought those pictures would again stir up beau, now I've gotcha wondering.playing along with your game there hot shot, no my idea is definately the cummins ,much stronger,reliable powerplant

Jim, if this is the case, bring the package forward. The problem for all the heckeling is due to the fact of all the threads that you have started over the years as to the promotion of boats or packages that none have never materilized. As you personally know, IM ALL FOR THE DIESEL THEORY. I tried that in 07 in my NorTech 4300 V with the twin Yanmars (480hp) and some Arneson ASD-8's. Although I loved the boat the top end speed was short of my expectations. Sold it and built a another 4300 with the Merc 700/#6. Anyways...The engine compartment could only handle 2 because the straight 6's took up so much room, something you need to consider. HP/rpm's to weight ratio is a problem on these diesel packages. If a BB diesel were introduced with a reliable 450-500hp then it would make sense to do another diesel project for my application. OR another twin straight 6 yeilding 600-650hp would get the job done as well.

Im actually interested if anyone can bring this to the table. I would buy the second set(s) after the production. Just get it done, and cut all the lip service out. Thank You. Jeff
Old 11-19-2007, 12:42 PM
Registered

Stop saying "Cummings". It's "Cummins"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-19-2007, 12:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by DonziJapan
Dude thats a real world engine not a toy. Just one problem with the web site. It says the pictures are from Japan. Whats up with all the Koreans in the pictures.
Yeah. I noticed that too. I difference in cultures is not lost on me. I have lived in both countries for years.

Wayne
Old 11-19-2007, 02:19 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FROGMAN524
Stop saying "Cummings". It's "Cummins"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Founder: Robert Cummings
Attached Thumbnails Diesel High Performance package-Is there Demand?-12m-600-x-828-.jpg  
Old 11-19-2007, 02:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by salesmanship
Founder: Robert Cummings

So how'd it turn into cummins?
Old 11-19-2007, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The company is located in Indiana The "Hoosier State" Hoosiers typically do not pronounce the G at the end of an "ing" word. Like "Hey are you cummin over?"
So basically Cummings became Cummins because that's the way it was pronounced and it was just easier to change the official spelling .
After founding the engine company Robert Cummings went on to have a rather successful career as a character actor in numerous TV shows and movies of the 1950's and 60's.
Are you buying any of this?

Last edited by salesmanship; 11-19-2007 at 03:25 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:05 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by salesmanship
The company is located in Indiana The "Hoosier State" Hoosiers typically do not pronounce the G at the end of an "ing" word. Like "Hey are you cummin over?"
So basically Cummings became Cummins because that's the way it was pronounced and it was just easier to change the official spelling .
After founding the engine company Robert Cummings went on to have a rather succesfull career as a character actor in numerous TV shows and movies of the 1950's and 60's.
Are you buying any of this?
Yep

You wouldn't believe the pigs that are flying around outside my office right now either.

In case anyone doesn't get my sense of humor (or salesmanship's humor) the founder of Cummins is Clessie Cummins (without the fricken G)

Quick Reply: Diesel High Performance package-Is there Demand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.