Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Need help deciding which boat to buy next! >

Need help deciding which boat to buy next!

Notices

Need help deciding which boat to buy next!

Old 01-29-2008, 11:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cool video, but i have no want to do that. i hurt just watching it.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:33 AM
Registered

I sort of mentioned this before, but I'd recommend not spending the whole nut on the initial purchase. You're going to need to keep some cash in pocket to fix the stuff you break when we go out and run like maniacs!

Knowing where you boat, and how you want to run your boat, I'd suggest something in the 28 - 35' range. I compare my 28 Pantera to a 250 dirt bike while some of the bigger rigs are more like an R1 or Hyabusa... I can go out and run 65 mph and feel like I'm running for the world championship. The guys with the big power Skaters and similar boats run hard and fast, but have an exponentially higher cost and risk factor.

I can beat the crap out of the boat and know that with a minimal cabin, a single motor and single drive to babysit that I won't break stuff that will break my bank.

Remember that those Apaches are running a pair of big power race motors that would probably run you at least $50k each today to buy and then require constant maintenance to support.

There are a lot of SCOPE guys with big, very fast boats. And a lot of those guys don't run their boats anyhwere close to 100%.

No matter what else I buy, I'll probably always own a 28 Pantera or something similar. Something that I can beat mercilessly without guilt and know that even running the boat at its limit, I'm not running too far outside the envelope of safety or cost effectiveness.

From what I've heard and experienced I'd look at the following single powered boats:

28 Pantera, 30 Activator, 29 Warlock, 29 Fountain, 29 Lavey, 28 Joker, Y2K Superboat... I'm sure there's more, but that's what comes to mind right now. Basically, check out P4-5 and F1 hulls and their pleasure counterparts.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
70k gives you a lot of options. I had a 28 Pantera and it was great boat. I now have a 32 Active Thunder and its a lot more boat tahn the Pantera was. Quality is similar.

With your budget, I would lean toward a 32 AT, 33 AVS Scarab, 31 Cig Bullet, 33 Powerplay, or 31 Sonic. The 32 Fountain is smaller than all of them and IMO the stern sits too low at rest in the water.
Take a look at the --> AT 28 SAVAGE <-- we have