Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Don Aronow Memorial Ocean Powerboat Race (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/181841-don-aronow-memorial-ocean-powerboat-race.html)

Top Banana 03-22-2008 08:45 AM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by tommymonza (Post 2494744)
Can I do the wild Bill Cooper length alteration with a bolt on swim platform to my 18.5 foot Baron? I promise I will drive from inside the cockpit and not from the platform.

I just can't put a beak on it because when I win this race I don't want Fountain taking the credit :D But the platform should be accepted as it is part of the boat overall length,right.

I have a hot little 0 hour Roger Munn small block with some CMI's and a brand new Mercruiser Transom assembly and outdrive.I do not have external steering though.If i get the go ahead I will set it up for some bolsters in where the back seat used to be, been wanting to do this anyways.

I have never officially raced but I used to beat up on some pretty big guys in 2-3s back in the day.

I have been across the Stream and back on the same day numerous times in a 22 foot Sea Cat as we sneak over to Cay Sal Bank to dive a couple times a summer with my girlfriend and another friend - no big deal in the summer.

Also my girlfriend writes for the Naples Daily News and she is also is in charge of a spinoff website geared towards the younger crowd called Coastal Beat , anyways she spoke with her editor and they are all about it.Maybe a lead up story and after race follow up.

Could have pm this to you guys in charge but i thought I might try to drum up some interest and maybe get some people off the fence who were thinking about it.

Think about it and let me know.

Tommy...We are meeting in Miami on Monday and Tuesday to go over the final details and finish the rules packet. I will bring this up...BUT ..we are first and foremost concerned with SAFETY.

We have a lot of interest from poker run guys who have never raced before and we are doing everything we can to make their boats acceptable, while keeping the highest level of SAFETY for everyone.

Any publication we welcome, just have them contact HORBA, www.historicraceboats.com or me and we will provide them with a lot of historical photos and storylines both old and new.

As part of the new racers package we ask them to give us a lot of personal background info. This is a new era for racing and the old names have gone....the stage is set for the next generation of offshore heroes to be introduced to the world....and I mean WORLD, as we have a lot of inquiries from Europe and ...yes, China too.

Somewhere out there is a..... "Former builder from New Jersey, who retired to Florida and heard about an open ocean powerboat race that was to be held, he entered a boat to try it and found out he was very good at this kind of thing."

That byline was used to describe Don Aronow's entry in to the sport back in the 60's. Who is the new Don Aronow of today or tomorrow?

Important point!!!!...This is a CHARITY EVENT. HORBA will be donating to a South Florida Charity in Don's name. So make plans to come and be part of this historic event and have an adventure that you can tell your grandkids about.

Top Banana 03-22-2008 09:42 AM

On Firday night we will have a banquet that will host the "Legends" Here are some of the people that will be invited.

Odell Lewis
Brownie
Mel Riggs
George Pironi
Bill Wishnick
Jerry Jacoby
Bobby Saccenti
Richie Powers
Larry Smith
Preston Henn
Sam Sarra
Roger Munn
Billy Martin
Rocky Aoki
Sammy James
Jack Stuteville
Bobby Moore
Billy Vogel
Jeff Brown
Bill Gazell
Steve Berk
Steve Sirois
Willie Meyers
Howard Arneson
Bob Magoon
Gene Lanham
Barry Cohen
Snapper Norris
Al Copeland (Just heard trhe news today, that Al has passed away,our prayers are with his family and friends.)
Carl Moesley
John Bakos
Jerry Gilbreath
Eddie Trotta
Pepe Nunez
Bill Elswick
Lester Quam
Norm Gentry
Paula Akin
Vince Vento
Tom Murphy
Erol Lanier
Richie Sutphen
Bob Idoni
Hal Sahlman
Dante Tognoli
George Linder
Rich Luhrs
Bob and Norm Teague
Scott Porter
Reggie Fountain
Bob Kaiser
Vincenzo Balestrieri
Tim Powell
Tony Garcia
Stan Ware
Jean Claude Simon
Bob Brown
Ken and Sandy Black
Wayne Vicker
Tim Sheehan
Peter Aitkin
Bob Sheer
Nick Cutro

That is not all, we are getting more contact numbers all the time.

With some special guests:
Jim Wynnes widow...Sharon, SEARACE author... John Crouse and we hope that Michael Aronow, Don's eldest son can make the trip also.

Silent auction on Friday night to feature many rare items from the past and a couple of new ones...like a checkered flag signed by all the "Legends" in attendance. Proceeds to benefit a South Florida Charity.

Concours d Sport on Saturday afternoon, featuring both old race boats and old race cars. We are working with the Historic Porsche club to bring in some of their finest race cars too.

Sunday will be the OSS race off the beach at Sunny Isles. A fun filled weekend for all is planned.

lowblue320 03-22-2008 09:58 AM

man I believe this is going to be great..........

JO - PANTERABOATS 03-22-2008 11:46 AM

Charlie,
I guess I am not invited for the second time!
I have raced in the 70's 80's 90's and the new millenium and still don't qualify for an invitation. Oh well!
Later,
Pepe @ Pantera.

Top Banana 03-22-2008 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by JO - PANTERABOATS (Post 2495065)
Charlie,
I guess I am not invited for the second time!
I have raced in the 70's 80's 90's and the new millenium and still don't qualify for an invitation. Oh well!
Later,
Pepe @ Pantera.

Pepe....you are on the list, check it again.

I have been hearing from a lot of the old racers with questions like...What can I do to help, or I have this or that item, I could contribute to the silent auction, but I haven't heard from anyone else that we forgot their name for the list.

PLEASE, PLEASE, if you are a Legend, please contact us so we can add you to the list and make sure that you are with us for the weekend.

We have been running around trying to get this thing to really happen. We just don't have the time right now, to make sure everyone is counted and on the list.....so if your feelings are hurt and you want to get on the list...let me know.

Pepe can't PM you back....your box is full.

JO - PANTERABOATS 03-22-2008 12:49 PM

I am on now, BUT I was not before, anyway,
I am a legend in my own mind.
Later,
pp.

dreamer 03-22-2008 12:59 PM

what about Kramer maglutta and falcone?:hitfan:

el indio 03-22-2008 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by lowblue320 (Post 2494993)
man I believe this is going to be great..........

better then great.......hey charlie the statue of DA is great....but just a thought; being that haulover is an unmarked inlet....do 2 statues....1 of DA and 1 of Carl kiekhieffer......give the 1 one the right red eyes and the 1 on the left green eyes...what do you think....a practical idea.....m.m...

BUIZILLA 03-22-2008 02:30 PM

Charlie, in post 121,

1) what were the approx. speeds of the boats in the first two pic's in that era....

2) how *period correct* do the engines need to be to run in Historic, if my boat is a 1972 w/T454's?? no current EFI's?? carb's only??

curiousity is killing me....

note to self> need a pair of 500EFI's... stat

bouyhunter 03-22-2008 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by JO - PANTERABOATS (Post 2495103)
I am on now, BUT I was not before, anyway,
I am a legend in my own mind.
Later,
pp.

If I had too, I'd hitch-hike my way to Miami to jump into a boat with you and Jo!:D