Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Don Aronow Memorial Ocean Powerboat Race (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/181841-don-aronow-memorial-ocean-powerboat-race.html)

Top Banana 03-21-2008 09:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just a little reminder of how much fun you can have with an outboard powered boat in the Gulf Stream.

This is our new flyer that we will give away at Boat shows etc., it is 8 X 10 and can be framed for your garage or shop.

88Fount33 03-21-2008 01:39 PM

Pin or Sticky this thread!

Without this type of racing and interest in our sport, none of us would have the boats we now own!

rtaylor 03-21-2008 04:08 PM

What do you think is reasonable seas to expect in June on a "regular" day, 2-3's?

ApachePete 03-21-2008 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by el indio (Post 2493340)
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......................

First offshore-race I ever saw. Didn't even own a boat!

But got the bug something terrible. :D:D

Now if Nykamp will step-up with Allez Vite . . . assuming it has motors this year . . . he can learn first-hand what it's all about! :cool-smiley-011::cool-smiley-011:

Hell, maybe even ol' ApacheCarl can rouse himself for one last chance to come out ahead for the first time ever! :evilb:

Top Banana 03-21-2008 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by rtaylor (Post 2494331)
What do you think is reasonable seas to expect in June on a "regular" day, 2-3's?

June is a quiet month.....your estimate is pretty good, maybe a little more in the middle of the Stream.

In the "Old Days" if the wind wasn't blowing at least 10 MPH at 7AM on race day, the race was canceled.

Planetwarmer 03-21-2008 04:38 PM

Do we at least get a gold participation ribbon that our moms can pin on us?

tommymonza 03-21-2008 10:46 PM

Can I do the wild Bill Cooper length alteration with a bolt on swim platform to my 18.5 foot Baron? I promise I will drive from inside the cockpit and not from the platform.

I just can't put a beak on it because when I win this race I don't want Fountain taking the credit :D But the platform should be accepted as it is part of the boat overall length,right.

I have a hot little 0 hour Roger Munn small block with some CMI's and a brand new Mercruiser Transom assembly and outdrive.I do not have external steering though.If i get the go ahead I will set it up for some bolsters in where the back seat used to be, been wanting to do this anyways.

I have never officially raced but I used to beat up on some pretty big guys in 2-3s back in the day.

I have been across the Stream and back on the same day numerous times in a 22 foot Sea Cat as we sneak over to Cay Sal Bank to dive a couple times a summer with my girlfriend and another friend - no big deal in the summer.

Also my girlfriend writes for the Naples Daily News and she is also is in charge of a spinoff website geared towards the younger crowd called Coastal Beat , anyways she spoke with her editor and they are all about it.Maybe a lead up story and after race follow up.

Could have pm this to you guys in charge but i thought I might try to drum up some interest and maybe get some people off the fence who were thinking about it.

Think about it and let me know.

BOBCATMATHEWS 03-21-2008 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Planetwarmer (Post 2494366)
Do we at least get a gold participation ribbon that our moms can pin on us?

yes,yes you do...but call us if your mom needs to be nailed:evilb::evilb:

BUIZILLA 03-22-2008 07:26 AM

I think this could be the MOST significant race in the last 20 years...

somebody want to loan me a pair of 500 EFI's for my Cary?? :) :)

DollaBill 03-22-2008 08:19 AM

This is going to be good