Jobs In The Offshore Industry???

Notices

Jobs In The Offshore Industry???

Old 04-02-2008, 10:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by monstaaa
follow your heart.

money and material objects cannot enhance your true inner piece.

if your happiness and passion merge you will truly be content.

i know thats it and the only thing holding me back was my debt (damn toys . i have tried very hard in the last 4 years to take care of this and its paying off. I just love the sport and people that support it. hopefully looking at about 18 months or so.....should i go through with the merc cert before thinking of doing this?.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:07 PM
Banned

If you get into repo work make sure you have the proper paperwork or stay 100 miles away from the boat
Old 04-03-2008, 06:04 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zimm1978
....should i go through with the merc cert before thinking of doing this?.
Do you want to turn wrenches? Most dealerships will pay for certification training. As you might imagine, the will also pay more for a technician that is already certified.

Mercury offers some very good training for service and parts management. However, you must be sponsored by a dealership owner to attend. That doesn't mean that there aren't dealerships who would be happy to sponsor you while you are on your own. Just that you will have to pay your own way.

Best wishes to you.

T
Old 04-03-2008, 06:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MegaByte*3
Do you want to turn wrenches? Most dealerships will pay for certification training. As you might imagine, the will also pay more for a technician that is already certified.

Mercury offers some very good training for service and parts management. However, you must be sponsored by a dealership owner to attend. That doesn't mean that there aren't dealerships who would be happy to sponsor you while you are on your own. Just that you will have to pay your own way.

Best wishes to you.

T

I would love to be turning wrenches, re-powering boats, rigging outdrives etc. I guess I need to get myself payment free first, take a week or two off when that happens and setup schedule and map out all the dealers and boat businesses around a general area in florida. Then get a rent a car and make the tour stopping by filling out applications and talking with people. Then once I find one, I can drag my bikes, boat and garage tools down and then start looking for a place to live. thanks guys for the input, guess its time to hunker down a little harder in this back stretch. take care, I'm sure you hear me around here lurking.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:02 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Give Nor-Tech a call, they are extremely busy .
Old 04-03-2008, 10:32 AM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bgchuby01
If you get into repo work make sure you have the proper paperwork or stay 100 miles away from the boat
rotflmao
Old 04-03-2008, 10:33 AM
OSO OG
Gold Member

It's a crazy biz. You sure you're up to it? You have no idea
Old 04-03-2008, 10:44 AM
Registered

Zimm -

Sub-lease yourself a little spot, create an LLC and go into the rigging biz yourself...as a PART-TIME freelance rigger. Use the $$$ from your BMW job and no debt to fund the start-up and keep it small. You will be able to set-up accounts with many of the players in the industry and get a taste of the biz without jumping in totally.

You can advertise and do re-pair work, but I suggest researching the internet, papers, etc. for project boats that are solid in need of rigging. Do the work then flip. There will always be a market for people that want a turn-key boat and the economy is filled with boats that can be had FAR below current market value (if they were completed).

Most of all HAVE FUN with your venture. As many have mentioned, you walk a fine-line when you cross hobbies with career choice.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fantastixvoyage
Zimm -

Sub-lease yourself a little spot, create an LLC and go into the rigging biz yourself...as a PART-TIME freelance rigger. Use the $$$ from your BMW job and no debt to fund the start-up and keep it small. You will be able to set-up accounts with many of the players in the industry and get a taste of the biz without jumping in totally.

You can advertise and do re-pair work, but I suggest researching the internet, papers, etc. for project boats that are solid in need of rigging. Do the work then flip. There will always be a market for people that want a turn-key boat and the economy is filled with boats that can be had FAR below current market value (if they were completed).

Most of all HAVE FUN with your venture. As many have mentioned, you walk a fine-line when you cross hobbies with career choice.

thanks, thats great info right there. the only thing i see is that trying to stay at bmw and start a side business would be great, but I feel the market here in northern va is alot less than in sunny warmer climates. though the chesapeake bay is pretty close. great thoughts though, I will def take them into consideration, i would love to do that rigging on the side and start a LLC.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by zimm1978
i know thats it and the only thing holding me back was my debt (damn toys . i have tried very hard in the last 4 years to take care of this and its paying off. I just love the sport and people that support it. hopefully looking at about 18 months or so.....should i go through with the merc cert before thinking of doing this?.
i myself went to school for accounting.
i presently own a small family inherited buisness. collision/ auto repair, and i repeat small..
i have 3 children.
i went from top notch place to top notch place until i opened my own performance shop which lasted almost 4 years until i decided any buisness is not as important as my family.
i then sat home for a year to process a direction i wanted to take for the long run. soon there after i decided to join a truly honorable and wonderful orginazation in which i presently work for.
i my self could not be happier. i love my family, i love my job, i love my life.
i get up every day knowing that i am going to enjoy my work smelling fuel , listening to that rapture of big block engines and the sweet smell of the salt air with the wind in my face on bay tests. and when i get home enjoy my time with the fam because i took the time to find the right job with the right people so i canafford the lifestyle i want.

i dont regret the time hesitating and analizing what truly made me happy.

listen to your heart and let your mind sort out the details.

best of luck to you,,,,

Quick Reply: Jobs In The Offshore Industry???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.