What is going on with Poker Runs?

Old 04-11-2008, 11:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

or two more, BURNT OUT.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:07 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it all has to do with so many conflicting dates. A few years back most of us went to the same runs every year. It seems like every poker run this year has a conflicting run that weekend.
A few weeks ago there was sarasota and ft myers same day. This week was Key west and captiva island (which got cancelled). Next week Havasu and Ft Myers.
Than Texas Outlaw shoot out and Tickfaw.
Emerald coast is the same weekend as the orange beach race.

Not only can we not be 2 places at once. We have famiily lives also. I know one poker run a month is enough. between the work getting the boat ready the week before, and the work fixing everything that broke the following week, besides it being fortune of money and very time consuming not to mention tiring.

Truthfully, I like the way things use to be. You would go to a run and see everyone. It was a big group with a lot of boats. Now the groups are split up and there are fewer boats on the runs.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:14 AM
Registered

SCOPE is on bigger than every this year. In the top 3 last year in this country!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-12-2008, 06:53 AM
Registered

Boating on the Chesapeake Bay the last 8 years, I have seen a drastic decline in boats out on the bay in the last 4 years (since fuel prices have been going up). But that does not surprise me. Boating most of my life, I have seen people buy new boats and never leave the docks unless it is a SPECIAL occasion.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:31 AM

I can answer this one: I run a lot of Poker Runs on the East Coast. It is a compination of things, One a Poker Run takes a good 5 days to get there if its in Florida from NJ, Diesel is $4 a gallon, Fuel $5 gallon at the Marina the run is the cheapest part of the run. But lets put money aside.. 1200-1300 mile tow wear and tear on your body getting there. Donig the same run year after year gets old unless there is something to do. Atlantic City and 1000 Islands I will never get tired of. My business leaving at long intervels. So I cut out The Florida Runs except Miami Boat show Poker Run.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GO4BROKE
I was going to do two, now I'm doing one. Strictly cash flow. Business is down, I can have several weekends with the family for the grand I would spend doing each run.

I dont see how you can do one for a grand? The jacksonville Run coming up .... 600.00 entry for 4 people ...600.00 for fuel if you run Friday and Saturday and 600.00 will be tough ( and I know thats not a huge HP setup) ....plus all that has been stated ... travel (fuel) lodging ...it adds up .. To the big guns its not a big deal but I bet even some of those guys are feeling the pinch of total cost ........m
Old 04-12-2008, 09:01 AM
Registered

I'd love to but along with the expenses listed above , I think that It has gotten out of control. Don't even show up at a run with a dualie towing yout rig or you get looked down upon. It's gotta be a f650 tricked or freightliner business cab done to the extreme. Your boat better be in the 500k to 1m range to be a player. Just seems to be a money race now and thats great for some , just not me. I'd rather just have fun with bunch of good peeps than worry about being the big man @ the dock. I love the boats and will be there somewhere in the sidelines to check out the equipment , probably not in the spotlight though.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:15 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by hunster
I'd love to but along with the expenses listed above , I think that It has gotten out of control. Don't even show up at a run with a dualie towing yout rig or you get looked down upon. It's gotta be a f650 tricked or freightliner business cab done to the extreme. Your boat better be in the 500k to 1m range to be a player. Just seems to be a money race now and thats great for some , just not me. I'd rather just have fun with bunch of good peeps than worry about being the big man @ the dock. I love the boats and will be there somewhere in the sidelines to check out the equipment , probably not in the spotlight though.
Yep...show up at ours with a f150 towing a 24 ft Baja and your welcomed just for making the trip. I like the big boats too, but the attitudes of a few can go to hellooo.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:47 AM
NorTechNorth.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think it is as bad as people think. I have been to runs where there are huge dollar rigs, no doubt. But what people don't realize is that there are usually some modest boats at the runs too. The guys in the modest boats often have the most fun. Believe it or not, I've never heard anyone say "what are you doing here in that thing?" Most of the guys I know with big iron are the nicest, coolest people I know. The problem is that many people don't realize it. They think that they can't bring their boat to the run because they won't fit in: Not true.

I agree with Gino that there are more events now. That is a good thing and a bad thing. Conflicting dates are no good for anyone. But the amount of dates available allow people to use their boats and justify their investment. I am happy to say that up here, between Poker Runs America and Performance Boat Club of Canada, there is a run almost every weekend of the summer. If that isn't enough boating, Poker Runs America and Florida Powerboat Club will keep you busy all winter.

The main point I want to stress is this. COME OUT AND PLAY. The misconception that you need a brand new Nor-tech, Skater, Outerlimits or Cigarette to poker run is the biggest thing we have to overcome. If you have a 27 Baja, come out to the events. If you have a 30 Spectre, come out to the events. If you have a 29 Scarab, come out to the events. If you have a 311 Formula, come out to the events. One of my friends is an avid poker runner in his 25 Baja and has a blast! Another one of my friends has a 30ft Cruisers with 496's and has a blast when he poker runs.

As far as Chuck's point of attendance being down, I think it is because the smaller boats are staying away. The last poker run I attended was St. Petes' two weeks ago. It was attended primarily by big iron, as are most of PRA's Florida runs. But the few smaller boats that were there seemed to be having a great time.

There are lots of regional runs that you don't have to tow 1500miles to attend. Heck, most of the events even have speed classes now so you don't necessarily need to be on the pin all day if you don't want to. I understand that not everyone can afford to do 12 runs a year. Lots of people do 1 or 2. You have lots of your hard-earned money tied up in your boat. USE IT!!
Old 04-12-2008, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Agree. The first PR I attended. (did not run) was in 93. Regie was there with Ohio Steel and Eddie K. with a lemon yellow outdrives on his Am flag boat. The big guys. THen there were a bunch of 23' - 32' "normal" guys and a few 32'+. Great time, great bunch of boaters. Next year I run the Pier33 Michigan run with my 26' and I felt ok. In the lower mid of the class. Had a best time. DId a few in the late 90's out of action for a while due the the big "D" and started PR's again in 2003 in Sarasota. Big Donzi's, Cig's. chit load of HP and the "normal" boaters were out. The race for the "show" and "speed" and the errogant owners makes some of the runs more like lack of natural testostrone count, instead of fun boating and events. I love to see all the "power houses", but some of their ego's that comes along,, you can keep it at home.

Quick Reply: What is going on with Poker Runs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.