Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by epeek
My opinion.... 20 years ago poker runs started out as
a bunch of guys with performence boats getting together
and having fun. ..... Somewhere
along the way, pokers runs evolved into ultra high end,big
money guys racing to card stops at 100 mph plus speeds.
All the guys running 70 mph boats can't keep up, and quite
frankly feel like pee-ons at these runs.
I've heard this reasoning many times, and tend to agree.
Now you gotta have matching uniforms.

Poker Runs, it's not a race. Yeah right!

I go to the LC PR only as a spectator and watch from the side lines and wouldn't go any other way.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:03 AM
Registered
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rember i rather do 80 MPH 100 % of the time than 100 MPH 80 % of the time !!
Old 04-12-2008, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Double R. P. Just one more quick note. Look at this thread and see the division. Gas price will not hinder my PR attendance. Boats and PR's are an expensive hobbie/toy for me. But there are seperation with in boaters. And that's ok. It's jut the way it is. Big boats, exp. boats, small boats. less exp. boats. Period. But the "boating family/community" should be the same. It's the love of boating. Some of the PR making this concept difficult to embrace. it's more business and less fun. (see my thread of attempting to put a "Funner" PR together)The little guys, (and I'm included ) do get a different reception. I almost got into a fight with a "big guy" in Sarasota while pulling my boat out of the water. The azzhole had no patience with his hummer. while I was manuvering my trailer in a croweded area. When I "borrowed" one of Mikes OL. It was a different reception.
I really think if there would be way to get more "little guys " in the runs, attandance would be back up. IMHO

For the record.. I always have a good time, running or just being there."Participation" is the key.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
I've heard this reasoning many times, and tend to agree.
Now you gotta have matching uniforms.

Poker Runs, it's not a race. Yeah right!

I go to the LC PR only as a spectator and watch from the side lines and wouldn't go any other way.
Then you haven't been to NJ for there poker runs. We have groups that work out so well! And Believe me its not a race.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:18 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Shanghied Again
Then you haven't been to NJ for there poker runs. We have groups that work out so well! And Believe me its not a race.

I have to laugh .. I just love the racing flag on your logo.
But seriously.. I have not been in the NJ run.. but there are a lot of good and fun Poker Runs.
Some just .... well just getting out of hand, and out of the original "intent" of the runs..
Old 04-12-2008, 02:13 PM
Registered

I would just rather get 4 or 5 boats together and do our own run, Less money, own destination, and people you want to hang with. A couple of Poker Runs a year are fine !
Old 04-12-2008, 03:22 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by PARADOX
I have to laugh .. I just love the racing flag on your logo.
But seriously.. I have not been in the NJ run.. but there are a lot of good and fun Poker Runs.
Some just .... well just getting out of hand, and out of the original "intent" of the runs..
NJPPC has different classes for everyone, whether it be ocean, inside or cruiser..... I prefer ocean runs, so if I ever do the AC run I'll probably do the ocean course but I won't be running with the big dogs, they can blow up their chit while I pass them 5 minutes later!

I don't trailer my boat to runs, I actually run the boat there so I'm not about to run an hour or two then beat the crap out of the boat for a few hours and have to drive it all the way home....
Old 04-12-2008, 04:39 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'm doing the KY Lake run in June and really wanted to make the LC run, but that $500 entry fee--ouch. I know a lot of performance boaters have tons of disposable cash, but not me.
Old 04-12-2008, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by t500hps
Jammin on the James in July......
I am a behind the scene helper/organizer. We had room for 80 boats 2 years ago and filled it. Then moved the final destination that allowed us 100 spots and filled it. Last year we had 107. The marina is giving us 110 and we are already around 75 paid entries.
There are a few boats that show up and run over 100mph. There are a few 22 donzi's, etc that come and have a blast too. We split the start to try and let the faster boats go first. There are NO prizes or awards of the speed/size/price of any boat. Ego's are bad enough with our type of boater, we don't need to encourage ANY of them by recognizing it. We do give prizes for the farthest traveled, most festive, and the "Victoria Secret" awards (use you imagination ). The run is turned and stopped just inside the "big" water so that everyone, regardless of boat size can participate. Participants love the laid back atmosphere and the BIG party/band that really rocks. This isn't a run to bring your kids, but you don't have to worry about your boat not fitting in either!!!!

BTW: This run is 100% for Charity, couple hundred dollar entry costs are reasonable and EVERY dollar left over goes to the Shrinners.
Entry fee with slip $415.00, Fuel 90 miles up $198.00, Fuel back closer to the pins $268.00 $120.00 new dress for the wife ,$100.00 beer wine and Crown. Scenery like this price less.
Attached Thumbnails What is going on with Poker Runs?-boat-96-382-199.jpg   What is going on with Poker Runs?-boat-96-382-197.jpg   What is going on with Poker Runs?-boat-96-382-193.jpg  

Old 04-12-2008, 05:18 PM
cloke

The best runs are those with a mix of all sizes of boats.
Its all about good people not so much good boats.
Charity participation usually brings out good people.

I like the runs with the long legs and not so much stopping and starting.One good lunch stop and a good party at end is best. Rest of day should be runnin your boat.

And you dont have to run the absolute snot out of your boat to have a good time.

Quick Reply: What is going on with Poker Runs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.