Like Tree0Likes

Are cats really that dangerous?

Old 05-04-2008, 06:30 PM
Registered

My Boats: Open Slip - formerly Formula'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZE View Post
Yes cats can be extremely dangerous---especially when they are holding an AK-47!

I was waiting to see something like that. LMAO...
Old 05-04-2008, 06:35 PM
Registered

My Boats: www.foxxandassociates.com

No, that was the guy from Bonefish Grille.

I'm referring to Randy Linebach in the "Airborne" boat that flipped at Biloxi.

No intention to bring this up in any sensational way, just knew him well and it kind of spooked me after the accident. Not the kind of guy that would be reckless or not wear safety equipment.

I was looking to buy a cat that same year, even test drove one from Vicious in Michigan.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: Nor-Tech 3600 SuperCat "Suppression"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZE View Post
Yes cats can be extremely dangerous---especially when they are holding an AK-47!

LOL...my thoughts exactly....I've owned both and running in a cat at speed is much more stable and pleasurable experience at least tin my opinion.

Why does it cost more to insure them is anyones' guess, I suppose speed would be one thing. The high dollar loss thing just doesn't ring true.

If your in a big cruiser and plow into a family on a pontoon or on a pontoon and plow into a cruiser with a rich guy on board who gets injured or killed your exposure is just as high for a large claim.

Historically there are many more fatalities and high dollar insurance losses with your average runabout. There are more of them and they account for the majority of boats on the water.

It's all about insurance companies trying to mitigate their potential exposure for a loss and while it may make the evening news when a boat crashes its much sexier when its a go-fast or cat...

What kills me is you can still get cheap insurance on a jetski which have a horrible rate of injuries and losses.

Either way I'll pay my higher rate and enjoy going fast in my cat....that is once it's done being painted...lol
Old 05-04-2008, 06:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: Nor-Tech 3600 SuperCat "Suppression"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown42 View Post
Was that the guy in Tampa area that owned the bar and grills few years ago?

Spectre?

Bone Fish Grill....don't remember his name...took a while to find him if I remember correctly
Old 05-04-2008, 07:01 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by fountain4play View Post
Bone Fish Grill....don't remember his name...took a while to find him if I remember correctly
Chris Parker, one of the founders of Bonefish Grill. Flipped a 36 Spectre at a high rate of speed, two female passengers had minor injuries, Chris was missing for a week.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:08 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloke View Post
When everything is workin right I'd much sooner be PLUS 140 in a cat than a Vee . but when Drives break or engines poof your ass quickly grabs uphostelrey in a cat.
Having an engine die is a guaranteed crash in a cat? That's scary. What happens, the front end dives underwater when power abruptly stops?
Old 05-04-2008, 07:10 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation View Post
Chris Parker, one of the founders of Bonefish Grill. Flipped a 36 Spectre at a high rate of speed, two female passengers had minor injuries, Chris was missing for a week.
What happened? Driver error, equipment malfunction, hull failure?
Old 05-04-2008, 07:36 PM
cloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
Having an engine die is a guaranteed crash in a cat? That's scary. What happens, the front end dives underwater when power abruptly stops?
No not guaranteed at all but with 1000 plus hp only working on one side is very unnerving. Has happened to me 3 times at speed. Creates a heavy smell when you eventually stop.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:22 PM
Registered

My Boats: 25 Talon

Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
What happened? Driver error, equipment malfunction, hull failure?

As unfortunate as it was, it was a lack of experience and lack of life jacket at a high rate of speed.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:38 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2008 26' Revolution Performance Marine

I have owned many boats...I must say that I will never own another deep V...there rough beat you to death, a cat will glide right over the chop, and yes I too feel much safer in a cat doing 120mph than in a deep V doing 80. Yes my insurance went from 900 a year to 5200 a year...but that is what you get living in south Louisiana..

The insurance Co. seem to thing if you live further north, your safer, when all it really is are the hurricanes and boating offshore. I am sure that some little paper azz-hole did a study and came up with these findings Its amazing what our Gov. lets insurnce co. get away with.