Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
questions about procharging my boat >

questions about procharging my boat

Notices

questions about procharging my boat

Old 09-11-2008, 04:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest looking into the Whipple charger system, Dustin Whipple is on here all the time helping boaters out and I can't remember an unhappy customer. We put Prochargers on many boats and had MIXED results.

Whipple will reprogram your ecu.

Oh and trust me "Bolt On" is not as easy as it sounds.

WILL
Old 09-11-2008, 08:27 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thumbs up procharging

I want to thank all you guy for the help im kinda new to the supercharger always wanted one and thought i might give it a try just wanted to here the feed back thanks again. I may have more question along the way.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Put one of those SEI B1 lowers on for $900 bucks and get rid of the B3. Then go to the tech section and pull up ALL of the threads on prochargers. You will learn a lot of what needs to be done. When it's good it's awesome but if you skimp on anything it will bite your ASS!
Old 09-13-2008, 05:15 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Default procharger

ok cool i will do that thank you very much.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 2000 502 mag and have a Vortech supercharger system on it. Idles, starts and runs perfect for over 100hrs now. Lost a stock head gasket at about 25hrs. Pulled the heads and installed new springs, better valves and a valve job. Been going strong ever since. Stock springs were a bit weak and the stock head gaskets are suspect anyways. Vortech claims about 650 hp.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:51 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Swan,
I have done many, many Prochargers. They are really good systems if you keep a few things in mind.
- I would not attempt it yourself unless you are very mechanically inclined. If you do it yourself, pull the motor. You'll be glad you did.
-Change the head gaskets, valves and springs if you want to add more than 3 psi boost.
-Reprogram the ecm. I know that Procharger says you don't need to. Trust me, you do. It will not idle worth a damn and will foul plugs.
-Check and/or replace your fuel tank pickup and get rid of the anti siphon valve if it has one. Most failures are do to insufficient fuel supply.
-Add a few gauges. You need boost, fuel pressure, oil temp, in addition to the standard gauges.
-Get rid of the Bravo 3. They don't take much hp and have very limited prop selection. You may pick up close to 5 mph with a B1 lower and prop. With that and the Procharger, you should see 80.
-Have a reputable shop do the install if you don't do it yourself. This can be the best addition to your boat or the biggest, most exspensive disaster.
Personally, I prefer a Whipple. They do cost more money, but are far superior. The above still holds true for the Whipple.
Give me a shout if you have any questions. I'll be glad to answer them. I can also a dealer for Procharger and Whipple and can do the install if your interested. Good luck in whatever you choose to do.
Eddie
Old 09-14-2008, 07:12 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 368 Likes on 247 Posts

nice tread...
Old 09-14-2008, 10:21 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
Swan,
I have done many, many Prochargers. They are really good systems if you keep a few things in mind.
- I would not attempt it yourself unless you are very mechanically inclined. If you do it yourself, pull the motor. You'll be glad you did.
-Change the head gaskets, valves and springs if you want to add more than 3 psi boost.
-Reprogram the ecm. I know that Procharger says you don't need to. Trust me, you do. It will not idle worth a damn and will foul plugs.
-Check and/or replace your fuel tank pickup and get rid of the anti siphon valve if it has one. Most failures are do to insufficient fuel supply.
-Add a few gauges. You need boost, fuel pressure, oil temp, in addition to the standard gauges.
-Get rid of the Bravo 3. They don't take much hp and have very limited prop selection. You may pick up close to 5 mph with a B1 lower and prop. With that and the Procharger, you should see 80.
-Have a reputable shop do the install if you don't do it yourself. This can be the best addition to your boat or the biggest, most exspensive disaster.
Personally, I prefer a Whipple. They do cost more money, but are far superior. The above still holds true for the Whipple.
Give me a shout if you have any questions. I'll be glad to answer them. I can also a dealer for Procharger and Whipple and can do the install if your interested. Good luck in whatever you choose to do.
Eddie
Good advice plus buy FULL hyd steering if you don't have it already and a bigger oil cooler if you plan on running it hard for more than 15 seconds at a time,Smitty
Old 09-14-2008, 10:24 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

As far as the AFR heads,as long as they have the good AFR/inconel valves in them I would bolt them on too,I love mine. If you go the procharger route I have a good source for having the stock throttle body bored out,Smitty
Old 09-14-2008, 10:33 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had a Procharger on my 1997 502 Mag MPI. It worked great. EVERYTHING these guys are telling you is true.

Like articfriends says, go with the M-3. It leaves more options later down the road.

Here is a picture of my motor after Eddie here got ahold of it! I will try to get some pics of the stock install.
Attached Thumbnails questions about procharging my boat-motor.jpg  

Quick Reply: questions about procharging my boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.