Like Tree0Likes

questions about procharging my boat

Old 09-20-2008, 12:19 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My Boats: 98, Virage, 266
Default recomendations on drive work

Thanks again for the help. I was told i would gain some top end speed just by adding the 2in shorty without the exstention box what is your opionion on this? Is it going to be hard to plane out?
Old 09-20-2008, 01:02 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: EX 99 MPH 272 Baja owner, 1999 Scarab 33 AVS NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by swan2 View Post
Thanks again for the help. I was told i would gain some top end speed just by adding the 2in shorty without the exstention box what is your opionion on this? Is it going to be hard to plane out?
Depends on alot of things you haven't told us about yet,a shorty will not make a stock boat suddenly go faster neccesarily unless your prop center line is super deep. Typically boats that go under 75-85 mph lose speed with nose cones,a shorty has one built in so any gain from less drive in the water may be offset by extra drag from the extra surface area. Single engine boats need bow lift typically to run fast,you lose this with a shortie unless you invest in some tweaked props. If you plan on modifying the motor no use spending a bunch on a 5 blade or custom prop just to shelf it when you make more power.
I just put a shorty on my boat,it got rid of eerie stern lift that I had over 80-90 mph but it no longer carrys the bow well and there was no speed increase. Now I'm going to try a prop with extra cup,try my 1" spacer and ballast my boat (one thing at a time),you need to be commited to making your boat go faster to make these mods work sometimes. Add the power first to get your big speed increase,no use "tuning or tweaking" your set-up a couple mph faster then you used to be (if your lucky)just to start over again once you gain substantial speed from extra power,Smitty
Old 09-21-2008, 09:04 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My Boats: 98, Virage, 266
Default procharging

Thank you i understand what you are talking about. I think that i may go with the procharger first. I checked into the wipple and i feel like its alittle out of my price range at this time. I hope that im making the right move. I live the fort worh texas and was wondering if anyone knew of a good place in texas that i may have do the work.