Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Which small blowers for 502's ?? >

Which small blowers for 502's ??

Notices

Which small blowers for 502's ??

Old 03-08-2002, 01:07 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Which small blowers for 502's ??

A friend has a 38 fountain ( Yes the boat that hit the marker. He didn't own it then ! ) !! He wants to go faster . Dosen't want to spend alot on whipples or prochargers .Doesn't want to cut the hatches . And wants something his wife can take out .(User friendly ) ! THey are 502 mags .Carb motors ,410hp. He is thinking about the little 174 type roots blowers or what ever they are ,single carb . Just blower and exhaust upgrade no heads, cam ,etc.

What do you guys use with this set up and how is it ? What hp would it be ? What carb ? 850-1050 ? HE does not want radical ! Just a little more GO ! And he likes the look or them . He is seling his stock exhaust almost new ,(hint,hint) and will use Imco set up . Thanks for your input .He is pestering me to death ! I need info quick ! Thanks ,JOE
Old 03-08-2002, 01:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If he's got bravo's that wil be weak link in th e set-up. Alot of weight for a bravo to push
Old 03-08-2002, 01:35 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

i have heard the 174 is to small for a 502.

I ran one on my 454 witha 1050. I think it might be to much carb. Seems to be running super rich. Didn't really get much time to test and tune and play with it though.

He shoudl go wit teh 250 instead of teh 174s. For just about the same money he will have bigger blowers that will make the same boost with less heat. I think you can use single carbds with 250s too.
Old 03-08-2002, 01:38 AM
Registered

Yeah ,you are right . But you know how it is .........You have to break a few before they are convinced that you need the hole package. and then once you get real drives then you need much bigger motors and so on and so on !!!! He just wants a little more . I think the 525's use bravos don't they ? Of course it will take a light throttle hand to keep them on the back !
Old 03-08-2002, 01:43 AM
Registered

Sorry Puder ,didn't see you there till after I posted . I thought they are a little small too but he wants the bare minimum . I don't think the 250 works good with 1 carb . the blower is too long and you get a bad fuel ditribution problem . Thanks for the input on your set up .
Old 03-08-2002, 01:47 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

boot so you still need that website?

Mayeb you can help me out with soem truck questions i have. 1987 f360 wiath diesel. I am 99% sure its not turbo charged. But was it an electronic motor? Do you have a chip that will work on it? And do you think this truck woudl have enough umph to pull a light 38' and do you have any leads on cheap trailers for a 38' ? e-mail me.

We can discuss your web stuff too.
Old 03-08-2002, 07:43 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I just removed a set of 174s (sorry, already sold them) from my 502s. They're just too small for that motor. I ran single 850s jetted w/ 99P/98S and the motors still ran lean. I'm moving up to 250s with twin Teague 750s. A lot of people run single 1050s on 250s with good luck, but I've heard you lose 25hp by doing it that way. Whatever you do, just make sure the carb(s) are set up right.
Attached Thumbnails Which small blowers for 502's ??-cafe354.jpg  
Old 03-08-2002, 08:14 AM
Registered

What's up Joe.

i run the 174 on my motor. the motor WAS a stock 330 with upgraded valves and the blower and it made 475hp. i ran it this way for 3 seasons without any problems. Very reliable - turn key - no surge etc. i ran 5 lbs boost with a 850 set up by Dean.

last season i pulled the motor and changed the heads and all the internal components - basically making it a mag motor. used the same 174 and picked up an extra 100hp. Boat is still turn key with a slight surge. Never have carb problems since i dynoed it at Dean's shop and let him set up the carb.

A buddy of mine has a 93 29 fountain running the same motor/blower setup (with twins) as mine. He's run for 3 seasons now also without problems.
Attached Thumbnails Which small blowers for 502's ??-motor450.jpg  
Old 03-08-2002, 08:23 AM
Registered

Thanks Cig ! How much power do you think it made ? What speed did you get out of it ? And on what boat ? How does the new system compare ? Do you have it on yet ? Thanks !

Puder, No I didn't do a site yet . Just to buisy to get too it .As for the truck , Dose it have 4.10 gears ? You need to know. Those or 3.73 's would work for that size boat4.10 would be better , but NOT 3.55 's. That truck has no turbo . And is not electronic . NO CHIP. I can manualy turn up the fuel rate on the pump . You can go about 15-20% fuel increase depending on what you are pulling . Too much fuel makes too much smoke and too much exhaust temp. You need to increase exhaust to a single 3" system with high flow muffler . I think I can gey you one for a good price or make a real nice stainless one . And you have to get an exhaust temp gauge to keep an eye on the temp. I have them too . Over all you could pick up 35-45hp the cheap way ! It would be a drastic increase on that truck ! Even just to do the exhaust helps a lot . Don't do dual exhaust !!! It will loose about 20hp over stock ! Or you could spend some money and get an aftermarket turbo and exhaust for it . Banks or ATS . If you have to go that route I prefer ATS . Maybe someone that has "owned" both might have a differnt opinoin. But that is what I think worked best on my older non-turboed trucks .
As for trialers , I don't know of any right now . YOu got a boat in mind ??
Old 03-08-2002, 08:25 AM
Registered

a 174 is to small for a 502 i know a guy who burned two motors down before removing it
put a 420 on it with 850's he will be happier and it will run better plus the 420 is only 1" taller than a 250

Quick Reply: Which small blowers for 502's ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.