Notices

Another Cig wreck

Old 02-21-2009, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Actually, this sign should be placed on the dash of every boat.
Attached Thumbnails Another Cig wreck-sign.jpg  
Old 02-21-2009, 11:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by berns29scarab
they chopped the throttles, boat started to slid out in the asssss end, caught, high sided and tossed um. the characteristics of stepped bottomed boats are the same as my 911 and any other rear engined car...DO NOT DECELERATE IN A CORNER OR ELSE !! hadda learn to drive my 911 all over after having corvettes...with the 911 the harder ya accelerate the better it sticks...such a shame was definately a gorgeous baot HOPE ALL ARE OK
Bingo thats so true
Old 02-21-2009, 12:30 PM
Registered

True fault resides with mother nature, if the water wasn't so flat the driver would have been paying closer attention to what he/she was doing...

Stupid nice day's in Bulgaria -DOOH!
Old 02-21-2009, 12:55 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
Have you ever stoped to think that if you can't slow down while turning then its a huge safety problem and a design flaw. After all, should you have to turn to avoid another boat......and slow down........ your SOL. You couldn't pay me to put my family in that boat.
Straight bottom V's are not immune to failure when turning. A 32' Signature at a race in Barnegat Bay, NJ 30+ years ago barrel-rolled going into a turn at the north end of the course near Bayville, and it killed the driver. I was there, saw it in person. That was not a design defect accident.

Steps have their uniqueness, but all V's can bite ya if you don't know what your doing. I see you have a 28' Apache in your profile, ask Ike or R-Addiction about going fast in 28' Apache; their great boats but sh*t happens, it almost killed R-addiction at a NYC Poker run many years ago. And both Ike and and John (R'Addiction have experience/seat time), sh*t happens.

The more seat time the operator has the better off the operator will be. If there is a design defect, I have been avoiding this term on purpose, and if there is a a more feasible design to avoid this operating flaw, or better safety precautions could be implemented (cost effectiveness), then... I am not giving legal advice on this issue, I am a performance boater who does not handle Tort/Product Liability law. If a performace boater (or any boater for that matter) gets hurt boating, due to his or her own risk-taking and stupidity, the injured should live with the consequences of their stupidity. Stupidity is the numb-nuts in this Cig video.

I do agree, if you cannot slow down going into a turn, then that is a concern, but Step Bottom design/manufactuere is a plus for performance boating, look at the top end, straight-line speeds, Fountain , Outerlimits, - I will live with and welcome the added speed at the risk presented. Nuff said!

Last edited by Smarty; 02-21-2009 at 11:25 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:39 PM
Registered

The majority of this thread reminds me of the cat that wrote a check for a class a motorcoach. It was his first. Anyway, he gets settled in on the interstate on his way home. Decides its time to make some coffee, after all this is a motor(home). Puts it on cruise control, gets up to walk back to the kitchen to make his coffee - bus careens off the road and crashes.

Now clearly, it was the coach manufactures fault for not explaining to the guy with more cash than brains that you can't do that along with the k-jillion other things that you can't do.

Somewhere along the way, we need to educate ourselves about the machines we play with.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rbhudelson
The majority of this thread reminds me of the cat that wrote a check for a class a motorcoach. It was his first. Anyway, he gets settled in on the interstate on his way home. Decides its time to make some coffee, after all this is a motor(home). Puts it on cruise control, gets up to walk back to the kitchen to make his coffee - bus careens off the road and crashes.

Now clearly, it was the coach manufactures fault for not explaining to the guy with more cash than brains that you can't do that along with the k-jillion other things that you can't do.

Somewhere along the way, we need to educate ourselves about the machines we play with.
LMAO!
Old 02-21-2009, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Smarty
Straight bottom V's are not immune to failure when turning. A 32' Signature at a race in Barnegat Bay, NJ 30+ years ago barrel-rolled going into a turn at the north end of the course near Bayville, and it killed the driver. I was there, saw it in person. That was not a design defect accident.

Steps have their uniqueness, but all V's can bite ya if you don't know what your doing. I see you have a 28' Apache in your profile, ask Ike or R-Addiction about going fast in 28' Apache; their great boats but sh*t happens, it almost killed R-addiction at a NYC Poker run many years ago. And both Ike and and John (R'Addiction have experience/seat time), sh*t happens.
Were not talking about what COULD happen in a 20 and 30 year old boat in race conditions. This cigarette and many others are tossing guys left and right at very slow speeds and in calm conditions. You shouldn't have to toss away basic maneuvering just to pick up 10mph. If your that desperate for speed then buy a cat.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:14 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rbhudelson

The f-ed up part about the above story is the motorhome owner actually won the suit against the manufacturer. Big dollars and a brand spanking new motorhome...
Old 02-21-2009, 05:35 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
Were not talking about what COULD happen in a 20 and 30 year old boat in race conditions. This cigarette and many others are tossing guys left and right at very slow speeds and in calm conditions. You shouldn't have to toss away basic maneuvering just to pick up 10mph. If your that desperate for speed then buy a cat.
It was a 70 mph race boat, not much different than what you own. It did happen. No need for a cat, I will stick with step V bottom, works great and will probably run mid to upper 90's this with mild power, my father father's old straight-bottom 27' Magnum could not come close to this Phantom with the same power. I like to go fast in a straight- line, but have turned the Phantom sharply at 85+ mph, no problems. I just don't have the mulla ($$$) for a cat; a 28' or 32' Skater would be ideal, and yes, I am desparate for speed that's why I love performance boating. I would race every hot-rod I could when I am out there, why else have a hot-rod boat - that's the way I have been boating for the last 25+ years?

Last edited by Smarty; 02-21-2009 at 06:49 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by drypipetiger
The f-ed up part about the above story is the motorhome owner actually won the suit against the manufacturer. Big dollars and a brand spanking new motorhome...
You gotta be chittin me .. right?????

Quick Reply: Another Cig wreck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.