Like Tree0Likes

Another Cig wreck

Reply
Old 02-21-2009, 07:23 PM
  #51
Registered
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: montvale,nj
My Boats: 1999/cigarette/35topgun
Posts: 338
Default

skaters have a design flaw two cause the two brothers with the big power off long island years back wipe out and got killed and what about the outerlimit accident in the poker run or the guy in the APACHE in NYC poker run few years back that lost it on his madden voyage maybe apache has a design flaw too, all brands have had there share of accidents. i have been nexed to steppewd bottom cigs in ruf water at high speeds and no problems all the pics are on sharkeys website.
tony stamis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:26 PM
  #52
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
4mulafastech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Washington, MO
My Boats: 2006 Formula 292 FasTech / 2007 Ranger Reata 190VS
Posts: 1,416
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater View Post
Were not talking about what COULD happen in a 20 and 30 year old boat in race conditions. This cigarette and many others are tossing guys left and right at very slow speeds and in calm conditions. You shouldn't have to toss away basic maneuvering just to pick up 10mph. If your that desperate for speed then buy a cat.
Dude, give me a break! Tossing guys left and right?? Seems like a bit of an overstatement. There are hundreds, if not thousands of stepped cigs and the like with no issue. Have you had some of these dangerous stepped hulls out run you lately? Seems like you may have hull envy...

As for going to a cat... gee, do you think those hulls may have some quirks of their own? I owned the boat below for 7 years. Ran nitrous oxide. 110+mph. I am sure someone without a clue could get into trouble much easier in this rig than a stepped V. The DRIVER is the one responsible.
Attached Thumbnails
Another Cig wreck-talon1.jpg  

Last edited by 4mulafastech; 02-21-2009 at 07:43 PM. Reason: just because...
4mulafastech is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:48 PM
  #53
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Smarty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Pitman, NJ
My Boats: Boatless
Posts: 2,267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony stamis View Post
skaters have a design flaw two cause the two brothers with the big power off long island years back wipe out and got killed and what about the outerlimit accident in the poker run or the guy in the APACHE in NYC poker run few years back that lost it on his madden voyage maybe apache has a design flaw too, all brands have had there share of accidents. i have been nexed to steppewd bottom cigs in ruf water at high speeds and no problems all the pics are on sharkeys website.
Good point on the Skater, The Malia brother's of Sewell, NJ (the town next to where I live) were killed in a 36' Skater off of Sea Isle City, NJ. The boat did not have a failure, structurally, according a post-accident inspection, no one never knew what really happened, driver error is the suspected culprit.

It can happen at anytime in any type of boat. But I would rather be in a Skater going fast than any other cat. I am willing to take that risk. I just need a rich uncle to leave me his estate in order to afford this risk taking desire.

All brands do have their share of accidents, EXACTLY!

Last edited by Smarty; 02-21-2009 at 08:24 PM.
Smarty is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:51 PM
  #54
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Smarty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Pitman, NJ
My Boats: Boatless
Posts: 2,267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mulafastech View Post
Dude, give me a break! Tossing guys left and right?? Seems like a bit of an overstatement. There are hundreds, if not thousands of stepped cigs and the like with no issue. Have you had some of these dangerous stepped hulls out run you lately? Seems like you may have hull envy...

As for going to a cat... gee, do you think those hulls may have some quirks of their own? I owned the boat below for 7 years. Ran nitrous oxide. 110+mph. I am sure someone without a clue could get into trouble much easier in this rig than a stepped V. The DRIVER is the one responsible.
What is that cat? A 25' Talon?
Smarty is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:01 PM
  #55
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
4mulafastech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Washington, MO
My Boats: 2006 Formula 292 FasTech / 2007 Ranger Reata 190VS
Posts: 1,416
Default

Close. It's a 22' Talon.
4mulafastech is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:14 PM
  #56
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Smarty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Pitman, NJ
My Boats: Boatless
Posts: 2,267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mulafastech View Post
Close. It's a 22' Talon.
I have tons of respect for the guys that have smaller hot-rod cats like the Talon,and hot-rod Allison's and HydroStreams, it takes balls and skill to drive those boats fast, and getting the most out of the boat before backing out of it. Cool boat.
Smarty is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:21 PM
  #57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
4mulafastech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Washington, MO
My Boats: 2006 Formula 292 FasTech / 2007 Ranger Reata 190VS
Posts: 1,416
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty View Post
I have tons of respect for the guys that have smaller hot-rod cats like the Talon,and hot-rod Allison's and HydroStreams, it takes balls and skill to drive those boats fast, and getting the most out of the boat before backing out of it. Cool boat.
Hey, thanks a lot Smarty! The Talon was a blast. Literally PINNED you in the seat on the bottle turning 28" Mazco cleavers. Those were the days... Couldn't THINK of getting insurance on a boat like that nowadays. Oh well...

Sorry for the hi-jack, carry-on...
4mulafastech is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:10 PM
  #58
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: GLOC
My Boats: Cary 50
Posts: 527
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty View Post
Good point on the Skater, The Malia brother's of Sewell, NJ (the town next to where I live) were killed in a 36' Skater off of Sea Isle City, NJ. The boat did not have a failure, structurally, according a post-accident inspection, no one never knew what really happened, driver error is the suspected culprit.

It can happen at anytime in any type of boat. But I would rather be in a Skater going fast than any other cat. I am willing to take that risk. I just need a rich uncle to leave me his estate in order to afford this risk taking desire.

All brands do have their share of accidents, EXACTLY!
Was it the white turbine skater?
rbhudelson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:47 PM
  #59
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Smarty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Pitman, NJ
My Boats: Boatless
Posts: 2,267
Default

No, it was a piston powered boat, I was told it had Mercury 900's, six drives. Know one knew what exactly happened, the end result was horrible, people died that were out trying to have fun. Could the Skater have been designed to avoid this accident (in a non-raceboat form - without full canopies and restraints)? My answer is - not sure since no one knows what happened. I do know this - I feel for their families of the deceased.

Last edited by Smarty; 02-22-2009 at 12:54 PM.
Smarty is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:50 PM
  #60
Registered
 
PhantomChaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Bell Canyon, CA
My Boats: Formula FASTech 382 Sunseeker Apache 45
Posts: 12,756
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drypipetiger View Post
The f-ed up part about the above story is the motorhome owner actually won the suit against the manufacturer. Big dollars and a brand spanking new motorhome...


I don't think that is a real story. I head that as a "dumb blond" joke.

Last edited by PhantomChaos; 02-22-2009 at 12:54 PM.
PhantomChaos is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
FINMAN
South Central US
4
06-16-2007 08:23 AM
hugetime1
General Boating Discussion
5
02-08-2005 11:10 PM
RBI
General Boating Discussion
1
01-26-2004 01:27 PM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:12 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.