Like Tree0Likes

Well, it doesn't look good....

Old 03-20-2002, 01:07 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

My Boats: 2006 Hustler 388, 2004 Hustler Talon 25, 1999 30 Spectre cat and 2007 21' hydrostream voyager w/ Merc. 225 EFI

Spitfire1
From where I sit, it DEFINITELY looks like you are a hypocrite about this. You think it's ok to POLLUTE with your blower motors, but it's not ok for me to try to HELP with Manatee protection, (More science, and less HYSTERIA) and STILL be able to boat. Yeah, we have been down this road before, you have a 20 minute idle, mine will be 2+ hours, BUT hey that's ok with you, as long as you get to use your Blower Motors!
Give me a break! BTW, what makes you think I'm not Pro-Enviroment because I question the STM CLub's data, nice leap of deduction there. Plus all the damage that the Airline Jets DO TO the upper Atmosphere, how can you stand yourself going to work. What about the possibly hitting a bird during T/O or Landing.
Oh that's right, as long as it fits your needs, then it's ok.
MD
PS Have you come up with a $$ for the Cig. yet?
Old 03-20-2002, 01:08 PM
supercrash

Ya Spitfire Matty was talking about a marina that got damaged by a storm and they wanted to rebuild and -expand-..Turns out that they were allowed to rebuild but not to expand.. Well needless to say they closed up shop and blamed their closing on the manatee issue...which is bull...But the "manatee haters" like to tell this story like it has some meaning...

Old 03-20-2002, 01:08 PM
Registered

spitfire,
fair enough!

yes jr,
it has been gone awhile!

Mattyboy
Old 03-20-2002, 01:13 PM
Charter Member #9/ Moderator
Charter Member

My Boats: 99 Advantage 34 Offshore
Lightbulb

posted by supercrash "We are all carbon based animals...so don't put yourself above any animal."

So I figure that since we are a part of the animal kingdom then natural selection (evolution) applies. Right? And if the manatee becomes extinct...to bad. Thats the natural way of things. Let's face it, we are animals (according to supercrash) who happen to have boats.

Oh but wait a minute, supercrash wants us to leave the manatees alone because we have a higher order of thinking and comprehension (brain power) and the manatee has rights. What about our rights as part of that same animal kingdom status you have bestowed upon us?

So which one is it supercrash? We are either animals or we are not.

I think I figured it out. If we are animals then we can eat the manatee as part of the evolutionary process
Or we are humans that rule the animal kingdom and our rights come first. Either way, the manatee comes in second.

But because we have brain power, I don't think anyone here would object to trying to protect the manatee. Just not at the expense of our rights as human beings.
Old 03-20-2002, 01:14 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2004 Gladiator

Geez Dean.......take it easy will ya.....I never said that you werent pro environment.....in fact I never said that I agreed with anything that the STM club has said directly or indirectly......I do think that we should make informed intelligent decisions on how we use the environment and try to minimize our impact, and to take into consideration other forms of life that inhabit it.....why are you attacking me for this?
Old 03-20-2002, 01:14 PM
Charter Member #9/ Moderator
Charter Member

My Boats: 99 Advantage 34 Offshore

BTW SuperCrash, you never commented on my thoughts the last time we debated this issue.
Old 03-20-2002, 01:25 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

My Boats: 2006 Hustler 388, 2004 Hustler Talon 25, 1999 30 Spectre cat and 2007 21' hydrostream voyager w/ Merc. 225 EFI

SF1,
What do you think we have been trying to do with all this ligation and Legislative changes we are proposing? We are trying to MAKE THE STATE USE THE BEST AVAILABLE SCIENCE, not the CRAP that the STM club is spewing!! I didn't mean to attack you, but you are speaking out both sides of your mouth. The #1 threat to the Manatee is POLLUTION, NOT BOATS! If you are TRUELY concerned with Manatee, then how do you explain the fact that YOU are helping to KILL them every time you take your Cig out for a run, Correct? See the counterdiction?
MD
Old 03-20-2002, 01:27 PM
Registered

yup supercrash that's it! not like a liberal who would never twist an issue for political gain, but I also heard the liberal version of the marina and it was blamed on GW's economic policy's
and I do suppose hillary in a bathing suite does look a lot like a manatee!!!

mattyboy
Old 03-20-2002, 01:28 PM
cashmoney

Well this a good thread. lots of bad information on both sides.

Lakeracer Let me post about human evolution before supercrash chimes in , Human evolution has all but stopped because we keep the "weaker humans" alive.
You will never find a pack of lions or any other animal keeping their "retards" or deformed offspring , or just the weak one of the bunch alive. therefore the strong always survive to mate.
Dean and Spitfire , lets all get along.Only one can be alfa male

Old 03-20-2002, 01:33 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2004 Gladiator

Dean....you are obviously very passionate about this issue....and that is a good thing....What is the number one killer of manatees? I am asking you because I dont know...I do know that alot of them die because of collisions with boats whether they be the large tankers or others....When I take my boat out, I respect the no wake zones...I dont empty my bilge when it is contaminated with oil or other petroleum substances....I try to give back something to the environment by participating in various cleanups and have walked door to door passing out informational material for the DNRP......if using my boat is contributing to the demise of the manatee then we are both in the same "boat" are we not......Dean you are attacking me for taking a stance that is slightly different from yours.....I understand what you are trying to do....I respect you for it....