Well, it doesn't look good....

Notices

Well, it doesn't look good....

Old 03-20-2002, 12:53 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

SF1,
As i stated earlier, Pollution is the #1 KILLER of Manatees. Watercraft related Moratalies are less than 25% of the overall Manatee mortality figure. And of that 25% of Watercraft related mortalies, 40-50 % are from Barges/Tugs.
SF1 do you know of anyone who has personally hit a Manatee in their Boat? I have lived here in Brevard Co. for 12 years, AND I know of No One who has hit one in their recreational boat!
I'm not attacking you, I'm just questioning your logic. Yes we are in the same boat as you said, except my boat doesn't pollute as much as yours. And the fact of the matter is, there is a couple of studies out there NOW, that challenge the VALIDITY of Manatee NO-Wake Zones and these SCIENTIFIC studies show that they are the WORST thing for the Manatee.

http://www.acoustics.org/press/142nd/gerstein2.html

I'm not pissed about this discussion, I'm just trying to point out the inconsistancies in some people's position. Look at someone's else's data besides the STM CLub or the FFWCC's data and you'll see what I'm talking about.
MD
Old 03-20-2002, 12:56 PM
supercrash

Cashmoney.......lookout..You shouln't expose your brainpower on this board..they like to keep it stupid real stupid..see bajadazes post. With that talk of "human evolution" I am tempted to ask you if you belive in god??...But I will resist..Whatever your belife don't expose it on this board unless you like personal attacks .

lakeracer........all things need to be protected even plants..we live in a very fragile environment..we can eat animals but not to the point of extinction..lets take a look at a simple food chain..

plankton,algae,and seaweed
get eaten by
manatees,mussels,barnacles,and snails
they get eaten by
crabs,small birds,and fish
they get eaten by
large birds,large fish and lakeracer

Take one of these links out of the chain and it means trouble for everybody else in the chain..BTW...the #'s of manatee is around 3000...a very low # for any animal

Old 03-20-2002, 01:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Perhaps, SC it is you who is misinformed or should I say disillusioned. 45M years is how far back traces could be found in FL, it is not however constant. That is only the first instance. There is a huge lapse in history within which there is no evidence to be found until very recently. Manatees existance can, however, be traced back to the Bering and Collins islands, Africa and Ausrtalia as far back as 55-60M years. And that's consistent throughout history, not only in short spurts like FL. This is also where they were also the most populous.

Secondly, I try to convince no one of anything. Much like yourself. No one here is even remotely convinced of your value or worth as a person.

LASTLY, if you consider yourself to be within the ranks of semi-intelligent cretants, since we are all animals, go ahead and disappear, you may do so now! We won't miss you. Go ahead and discard your computer, your vehicles, your house, all your modern gadgets and gizmos, hop on one of those big shiny flying metal birds and reside in the jungle somewhere. Perhaps you may be happier living amongst the animal kingdom at their level. Y

I, personally, put myself a few notches above that level of evolution. I value the lives of humans more than simple animals.
You are the weakest link, Good bye. Enough of you!
Old 03-20-2002, 01:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dean....I know where you are coming from....you take it personal when someone takes a stance on this because of all the time you have put into it.....My stance is one of plurality....I have gotten into trouble with my neighbors over it, because they think its ok to use power sanders on their boat restoration projects when all the paint is going directly into the river....when I call them on it..they point out the fact that I have a Cigarette boat.....I agree with you...I am a hipocrit to a certain extent on this issue.....I am aware of the acoustic studies.....I talked with you about them before.....I wish you all the luck in your quest to stop the prolonged no wake zone.....I know if I lived where you do I wouldnt like it either......my original post on this was more focused on the effects we are having on the environment as a whole.....I was not trying to cast any doubt as to the validity or non validity of the issues you are attempting to address.....Rich
Old 03-20-2002, 01:19 PM
Registered

Location: On the back of a chicks M3..If you're gonna ride my ass at least pull my hair!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just Fine Superboy........Just F'in fine man...........why don't you just let all the waterways fill up with manatees and screw everything else.....whatta mean 3000 is a low number for animals........

How many animals can you think of that weight a ton and can't move out of the way of a speeding tugboat!!!!!

Sheeesh dude......you really need to check your agenda sometime......cause it has nothing to do with anybody here.....well other than harassment......

Once more Dean has told you guys that his position has NOTHING to do with harming the preciuos little valuable manatee.....and everything to do with the BS ways of the STM.........what the F do you not get about this?????????????

Why don't you keep your mouth shut and do something positive for the sport you are supposed to enjoy.........

If people like Dean don't get the point across... we the powerboaters.. will be the one paying for the big trouble makers.....

Jesus mighty Crash.....does any of this make some sort of sense to you......?........
Old 03-20-2002, 01:42 PM
supercrash

Shor..you have nothing to say your last couple of posts show that..3000 a small #..??? Baja daze...you think you are speaking for everyone...when you tell me to get lost..
You said yourself that manatees were there 45 million years ago..whats your point.???.you just confirmed my point..thank you..

Old 03-20-2002, 01:48 PM
Registered

Location: On the back of a chicks M3..If you're gonna ride my ass at least pull my hair!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have got to be the most ingnorant human I have ever had the displeasure of knowing..........be gone you rodent......

You know Crash......kids like you where I grew up..... got their asses kicked a whole lot......was that your childhood.....?...

Or maybe those nights of crash bashing have slipped your memory??????
Old 03-20-2002, 01:51 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Rich,
It's not whether or not I LIKE the 9 mile idle zone, which, of course, I don't, it's more of an issue that Manatee NO-WAKE Zones are BAD for the Manatees. You are doing the right thing as far as your neighbors are concerned, I have had to do the same thing myself. I hope your boating isn't impacted like mine might end up being, but we've got to get the state to listen to someone else, Besides the STM Club. The STM Club's agenda is to see that Manatee is NEVER REMOVED from the Endangered Species List, regardless of HOW many of them there are!!
BTW, your Hawk Blower Motors have a COOL paint job on them!!
MD
Old 03-20-2002, 01:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear ya Dean......you know the funny thing about the deal with the neighbors is......these are all sailboaters...since I have joined ranks with the performance boaters..two years now.....I have noticed this animosity between the sailboaters and powerboaters...I guess the perception being that we are ruining the environment.....but the strange thing is....the people that I see blatantly polluting the river doing things such as this, are the sailboaters.....go figure
Old 03-20-2002, 01:59 PM
cashmoney

Not choosing sides here , but I must post in defense of supercrash..Baja , you said nobody is even remotely convinced of your value or worth as a person , now that is some tuff talk , with no point.And supercrash from what I have read is very educated , And you put lives of humans above animals..humans are animals.
I guess what I'm saying is that you guys really make supercrash look smart with your missinformed posts , And childish bashing.I for one can see the "value" of a different opinion on any subject , whether he is right or wrong he is adding to the debate

Quick Reply: Well, it doesn't look good....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.