recomendations on my first boat? >

recomendations on my first boat?

Notices

recomendations on my first boat?

Old 03-28-2002, 01:21 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spend the relatively cheap coin and go look and ride sean's boat. The only advice in my mind is do you think it looks good? Fits your boating scenario? Rides good? Built good and ultimately is the price good? Kind of like shopping for a good woman. If it doesn't bowl you over at first look/ride, keep shopping or end up with regrets and the dreaded "itis"....
Old 03-28-2002, 06:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Better hurry Dreamer .. I may be closing in...haha now who's the dreamer ... actually the only closing I'm doing is on a rental property tomm. but I will have some extra cash.. (already spent) but never forget ,I do have a "Nasty Habit" .... haven't seen that 28 in person but I sure have thought abotu the 900 miles to do so.. many times.... I posted here previously on a dif thread if I wasn't in the midst of starting a new biz I would have it tucked in right beside my classic baby cig. I really do think you should at the very least ,go check it out....

good luck ... ain't boat shoppin fun...
Old 03-28-2002, 09:44 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with Madcow - an older 30 Scarab is a great first offshore boat. It has the weight and hull for a good ride, and there are lots of them (supply and demand - good price) This gets you into 30' and a pair of big blocks. That's where your going to end up anyway. With a pair of 330 HP 454s this is a 60 mph boat, When its time for new engines, add a pair of crate 502s and you can go 70 mph. I think you should be able to get a good one for $25K. This leaves you lots of money for repairs ( ask NickSlick about this).

I hate to bring it up since you have been introduced to performance boating on a vee hull, but you could also look at an older 30' cat like a Chris Cat or an Excalibur Cat. I was just like you 8 years ago. All I wanted was a 30' offshore boat with big blocks. Then I went for a test ride in a 30' Excalibur Cat and got hooked. Speed, smooth ride and a huge cockpit (9' 8" beam). Yes, it has a porta-pottie and sleeps four.

I have two friends with 30' Scarabs and in water that has them bouncing all over, I'm running flatter and 10 mph faster with the same power. But no sitting area in the cabin. If you want to see pictures of one, check the OSO classifieds under Wellcraft. My boat's not within your budget, mostly because of the 500 HP 502s, but you can find ones with stock power in the 30 - 40K range.

As if you didn't have enough boats to choose from already.
Old 03-29-2002, 03:14 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default dreamer

You were spoiled on the Top Gun but there is nothing like having your own boat to go where you want,when you want, with who you want.
In 95 I bought a used 94 Baja 24 Outlaw with a 502 efi and a Eagle trailer. I had it for a few years and never had any problems with it. I feel that it was an all around good boat to get out on the water and have a good time. I used it on Lake Erie out of Whisky Island Marina in Cleveland and made several trips to PIB and surrounding area. The boat handled well for its size but you still have to use some common sense and know when to stay tied up or beat butt back to safe dockage.
Two people can crawl down and crash in the V-birth without and problems and on occasion I slept on the back bench or the floor below it with an air mattress when we had others with us. It's a far cry from the Hilton but it got us by.
The boat has a place for a porta potti but in general we stayed at places with restrooms or was close enough to get to one if needed. In an emergency its available. It doesn't have any cooking facilities and even if I had them I doubt if I would use them. We used a cooler for beverages and snacks and ate out.
This size boat is also easy to trailer. You may find that you want to go other places and boat besides Erie. A trailer is nice to have for cleaning and maintance. It is also much cheaper to fill up the gas tank at a gas station vs a marina.
This boat was basically a sunshine boat. If the weather was bad you didn't want to be sitting on the floor under the cover or in the small v-berth.
There are a number of boats like this for sale in this length and price range that are a few years old. Don't get in to deep because making the boat payment is just the start. Maintance, fuel, insurance, dock fees or transient dock fees and spending money can all add up to a big chunk of change.
This is my experience and for every Baja there are several other brands that could meet your needs.
From the pictures of the 28 Cig for sale it looks to be a very well kept boat. I have seen nothing but good words about the boat so you may want to take a little road trip.
Cordell