Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   48' MTI vs 46' Skater Drag Race/Lake Ozark Shootout! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/214703-48-mti-vs-46-skater-drag-race-lake-ozark-shootout.html)

Knot 4 Me 08-12-2009 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by hammer01 (Post 2930344)
I think this will be a great show regardless. If memory serves me correct, the other quad engine boat that was one of the original Big Thunder boats is "The Recycler" which is a quad boat still and ran in the Shootout the last several years, at least 2 years ago it did for sure. It was written up in Powerboat as a matter of fact. I think its Shootout speed was in the upper 130's. Anyway, if it is a running start, I can't wait to see how much past the 130 number it gets to and maybe they can run both quad boats against each other, I am sure the Onken boys would be more than happy to run the Recycler in this debut!!!! Fun stuff!!!!

Recycler ran last year. One of the 900 HP Eickerts was floating the valves so it was not able to run to its full potential. Not sure if Don plans to run it this year. He's working on a 50 Mystic open right now.

Knot 4 Me 08-12-2009 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by JasonSmith (Post 2930392)
The current Recycler boat is not the boat Bob Morgan owns now.

Correct. Don's Recycler is the old Big Thunder boat that burned.

JasonSmith 08-12-2009 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me (Post 2930407)
Correct. Don's Recycler is the old Big Thunder boat that burned.

Actually they both have been on fire.....I think. I know the newest one has been.
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...a%3DX%26um%3D1

FREEDOM US1 08-12-2009 08:29 PM

I ran the old four engine Skater in the shoot out several years ago. 151mph is all we got but it was on the rev limiter 3/4 down the track. It was still set up for 1999 offshore raceing. A lot has changed. It will be fun to see regardless who wins!! Good luck Bob and Randy!!!

blume 08-12-2009 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by FREEDOM US1 (Post 2930776)
I ran the old four engine Skater in the shoot out several years ago. 151mph is all we got but it was on the rev limiter 3/4 down the track. It was still set up for 1999 offshore raceing. A lot has changed. It will be fun to see regardless who wins!! Good luck Bob and Randy!!!

I always wondered way anyone would leave a RPM chip in the motor running at LOTO?

Indy 08-13-2009 05:16 AM

Two rough water cats approaching 50' and weighing approximately 4 tons in a drag race?

:rolleyes:

Knot 4 Me 08-13-2009 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Indy (Post 2930909)
Two rough water cats approaching 50' and weighing approximately 4 tons in a drag race?

:rolleyes:

I agree but will hold judgement until I see what the runs. You just never know...

NickOTeen 08-13-2009 10:07 AM

Are we really debating the merits of a drag race in this thread? Never thought I'd see the day on OSO when two boats lining up with 6000+ hp would be met with cynicism. Tough crowd. ;)

JUSTGOLF 08-13-2009 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by NickOTeen (Post 2931041)
Are we really debating the merits of a drag race in this thread? Never thought I'd see the day on OSO when two boats lining up with 6000+ hp would be met with cynicism. Tough crowd. ;)

well said, i mean come on what else do you have to do next weekend but sit around and watch two bad ass boats go at it, i think it will be fun to watch, and it has already done a good thing and that's getting people to talk about the shootout:drink:

Big Time 08-13-2009 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by JUSTGOLF (Post 2931066)
well said, i mean come on what else do you have to do next weekend but sit around and watch two bad ass boats go at it, i think it will be fun to watch, and it has already done a good thing and that's getting people to talk about the shootout:drink:

Exactly, if anything it is drumming up some hype...and hype is good for any event.