Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   48' MTI vs 46' Skater Drag Race/Lake Ozark Shootout! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/214703-48-mti-vs-46-skater-drag-race-lake-ozark-shootout.html)

LubeJobs42 08-13-2009 11:41 AM

The Skater has always been a very bad boat. Always one of my favorites! Back in the day it use to destroy everything else it ran against. It was so loud the ground would shake when it went by.

The Mti is new technology. The boat and the engines are the newest best technology available now. The motors in the boat are incredible. I know the numbers the MTI has run and I don't think the Skater has a chance.

ar15meister 08-13-2009 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by NickOTeen (Post 2931041)
Are we really debating the merits of a drag race in this thread? Never thought I'd see the day on OSO when two boats lining up with 6000+ hp would be met with cynicism. Tough crowd. ;)

agreed.

I think it is about as cool as cool can get.

A two boat 'grudge match' is about as cool as it gets no matter what the circumstances.

Kudos to these guys for putting it on the line just for kicks.

JasonSmith 08-13-2009 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by ar15meister (Post 2931130)
agreed.

I think it is about as cool as cool can get.

A two boat 'grudge match' is about as cool as it gets no matter what the circumstances.

Kudos to these guys for putting it on the line just for kicks.

Only took 15+ years of working on the WP to make it happen.

mpally 08-14-2009 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Indy (Post 2930909)
Two rough water cats approaching 50' and weighing approximately 4 tons in a drag race?

:rolleyes:

I would much rather watch these two boats go at it than 16ft. boats w/ 2,000 hp.

BLee 08-14-2009 12:07 AM

The Shootout is bad ass and a FUN weekend. I'm pumped to hear they are allowing boats to start their run on plane without penalty. The new course is supposed to be smoother during the run as well. :cool:

vtec 08-14-2009 04:03 AM

this is gonna be awesome. offshore drag racing. i remember the offshore race in texas? about 10 years back, where it was too rough, so they raced inland. two skaters (alcone and the mercury boat-can't remember that guys name) were almost trading paint.

we know the 4 engine skaters don't do the highest absolute speeds, but what about acceleration?

i'm gonna go skater on this one. the 4 skeg drag ain't gonna make a difference in a drag race. the additional weight is of engines only (for the most part).

but i guess we'll see.

how about two 28 skaters goin' head to head.

ar15meister 08-14-2009 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by JasonSmith (Post 2931296)
Only took 15+ years of working on the WP to make it happen.

WP??

SUPERCATBOATS 08-14-2009 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by ar15meister (Post 2931757)
WP??

Water Patrol, They have the power of it will or it won't happen.

Von Bongo 08-14-2009 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by BLee (Post 2931567)
The new course is supposed to be smoother during the run as well. :cool:

It is much smoother than prior years, Sunday it was just a light chop when I rode with Doc.

I think wind, if any, will be the biggest factor, plus the course may be a fraction shorter than the old course.

Von Bongo 08-14-2009 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by 44MTI (Post 2929633)
From a standing start, that is alot of weight to get on plane and get moving in the Skater,.:coolcowboy:

You know I was thinking about this, I see in PB Mag the 4 engine cat, MTI I think, they tested last month, popped on plain in 4 seconds. compared to 10-12 seconds for some of the other cats. Not sure what an 8 second head start would mean but not sure the boat would languish at the start if the PB test is any indication.

Anyway it won't be a standing start.