Notices

the real story...

Old 04-08-2002, 04:12 PM
ssherman

Either a survey or my own mechanic or have enough test done by a reputable shop which I understand doller is ( i have spoken to but never done business with them) to be assured of my decision.

I mean a nhra motor can go from brand new to a hangrenede in less than 5 seconds I know this extrem but how does anyone know. I had a guy once hit a log and have a buddy tell him it was delamination and felt bad until i seen the boat and dug the bark out of the speedo and drive. Used boats are just that even new boats break in a matter of minutes but at least they have warrenty.

Old 04-08-2002, 04:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Too Old

Let's give Obnoxious and Doller the opportunity to resolve these issues. Fanning the flames won't help anyone involved.

Fred

Ditto !!!! I haven't spoken up till now, however between the two threads, this topic has run it's course......
Old 04-08-2002, 04:56 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with Whatdoin and ssherman why have a surveyer that I wouldn't know as much as doller when you have a well known service dept right there. If the tests I sugested wern't done they should have been. And it surprises me that you wanted him to pay for a bill for the little work that you did . I would think that it would be less than $100. ENUF SAID I WILL PUT IT TO REST.
Old 04-08-2002, 06:12 PM

Everyone,

I spoke with Mindy Doller this morning and shortly after the salesman. The conversation we had was based on some different approaches I may of taken to protect there reputation.

I was going to try to put this thread to rest, but after reading the return post, I don`t think so. The oil pressure was tested with a set of mechanical gauges vs electric and there was still a 15 pound variation. You expressed how it was still within specs.

As for the sea trial their indeed was a 300+ rpm difference and again you stated and I`ll quote "these engines only have 10hrs and were sitting for a while, it will probably loosen up after you put a few hours on it" should I go on with another quote from the salesman "took a 37 hustler on a poker run all day, one motor was turning less rpm, fired it up the next morning and it was running the same as the other" go figure!

I still would like to put this thread to rest, but if you think you can come on here days later and twist the events to make yourself look good in everyone's eyes and discredit me, I just assume keep the thread running.

Remember this thread was based on how I had a bad experience with your broker (misleading advertisement and no return calls after the final sale) now its about you calling me a liar!!

Obnoxious
Old 04-08-2002, 06:37 PM
GRH

Thanks OT.... I was hoping to hear your reply....

Old 04-08-2002, 06:55 PM

Sorry it wasn`t sooner. Had a long day at work.

I`m with you guys I wish this thread would end. My new power is being delivered this weekend and I`d really like to get into a better mood about it.

Thanks for all the input good ,bad indifferent. Its good to know your all out their waiting to express your feelings and knowledge.

Maybe our paths will cross at some future events.

Your Friend,

Obnoxious
Old 04-08-2002, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In response to Whatdoins "BUT, would you actually spend the money for a survey of FRESH power with ONLY 10 hours from a reputable dealer that claims the engines are new?"

Yes,Yes andYes!!! 10 Hours is not new, I can introduce you to a few people who you would not buy there engine after you saw them run for two hours let alone ten. You just never know. The boat in question was older than 10 hours as well. Even if it is a "Brand New Boat" (I say that in quotes because not all "brand new boats" are as "brand new" as you think) with a few hours on it at the very least, Have an Independant surveyor double check the engine hours to meter hours. Listen up folks, it happens!!! Once again this is the real world. Think...Why would a new boat have more than 1 hour on the meter? Survey time!!!
I am glad this thread is still going and I hope OT and $$ will come to a mutual conclusion. As for the rest of the members, I am sure with the insight from some of the long time boaters on the board they have learned a bit more about CYA Tricks to boat buying. Im sure I bent a few dishonest dealers with this post, but the honest ones are probably enjoying it.
Old 04-08-2002, 07:39 PM
Registered

Cool

One quick question and then I am done.-- IDRPSTF-- answer this - Why would you hire an Independent serveyer that you don't know when you have a well known service center right there? What if they say the motor is OK do YOU then hire another serveyer untill you get the answer you want. ANY GOOD SERVICE DEPT. SHOULD HAVE FOUND THE PROBLEM. THEY DIDN'T EVEN TRY.
Old 04-08-2002, 08:01 PM
Registered

Cool

TOO OLD - But you are forgeting that they are a well known service dept. Are they not honest. What is more important this one sale or all the potential service they would get from the new owner. It is in their interest to be honest. The previous owner would have probably been happy to help if there was a problem because he just wanted the boat sold. The price could have been renegotiated to reflect the value or lack of that this engine had.
I can understand your thinking at some hole in the wall marina but not at a well known one...

And once again here I am.
Old 04-08-2002, 08:04 PM
Registered

Having gone through the process of buying a boat at great distance (I live in Michigan and the boat was in FLA) I can say this; anyone who buys a used boat without getting a complete survey, engines and hull, is getting what he deserves. The surveyors worth their salt have built solid reputations with their clients. That's why a surveyor should be more than willing to give names of clients when asked for these references. When Barb and I were considering a boat in Canada we again hired a surveyor to provide us with a complete engine and hull survey. In the case pertaining to this thread I'm sure there were mistakes made on both sides but I'd be willing to bet the cost of a survey would have been a drop in the bucket compared to all the grief on both sides.

Quick Reply: the real story...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.