VIP Member

What kind of twins you talking about jass
Old 12-24-2009, 08:57 PM
Skater Brother
Platinum Member

My Boats: 46 Skater,35 Cig, 57 Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV View Post
There is a new 388 Skater being Laid up right now for a Twin Turbo package with a 2 speed transmision.This thing should be off the hook . The engine builder is as proven as it gets, the cards will be on the table soon enough on the Turbo's, it will be interesting to see the #'s after it gets dialed in.
They will use Speed Shift Trannys. I have been running them in my 46 skater for two years and they work great. My boat was a test bed to make sure they wont break. 1st gear will allow the turbos to spool up and then shift to second gear. I use first gear for parking as its easy on the motors at low RPM if you have turbo or super charged motors. The first 5 sets of trannys are spoken for but we can build more if anybody wants a set. Thanks, Jim
Old 12-24-2009, 09:41 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member
Trade Score: (9)

My Boats: Shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow View Post
I have a turbo diesel super duty truck and the lag is terrible. I have a supercharged car and holy crap it hits hard and right now. I have never driven a turbo car I liked yet (owned 2) compared to a SC car. I agree turbos make great power but fail to see how you can overcome physics of a turbo needing air to move and create boost. There will be a lag, nothing said here will convince me otherwise. Slow switch over? I am not so sure.
Why is Mercury's Verado lineup supercharged not turbo? Those engines are very responsive and are not failing.
Its call twins. One small one, and one big one. Small one covers the low end lag, big one covers the upper end. Dozens of them out and low end lag is diminished. Keep your eye's open and twin setups (twin turbo's) will be the way to go. Ask Mercury, or just watch thats what they are working with.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:54 PM
Registered

Question Where do we go from Here??

As I previously said, the future of the Turbo in marine performance is just about a sure thing! The secret here is that the need for an affordable (Sorry Big Dogs with Big Wallets) marine performance engine that with a reasonable cost basis( $35K or less, a 600-700HP output, better fuel economy, a simple design and some built in exhaust noise control that turbocharging might make possible will help make the real future of the marine performance boat industry.

Its reality that it's the masses that pay for and sustain the real underlying sport of performance boating. With all due respect, we can discuss the exotic and expensive till we're blue in the face and it won't keep this industry alive!
In the Big Picture, I just hope technology in all forms improves this recreational sport and the industry's future or we may be sitting on thse forums talking about something that USED TO BE! Hope Not!

Keep the discussions go'in though, I learn'in more by the minute!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 12-30-2009, 07:07 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2000 Fountain 32 Sportfish Cruiser

My VW 2.0T is turbocharged, and it has so much torque off idle its hard to get going without spinning the wheels, even with electronic traction control enabled.

High torque turbocharging comes from variable geometry turbos. This means there is something like a throttle valve on the turbo inlet that directs the exhaust gasses to the outer edge of the turbo vanes. This does two things: like putting your finger in the water flow coming out of a hose, it increases the velocity of the gasses that are spinning the turbo vanes. But its also directed at the outer edges of the vanes, so that gives more leverage to the flow, so the turbo spins up FAST as soon as there is any exhaust flow.

Variable geometry turbos are simple, cheap, pervasive in autos, and give HUGE torque off-idle.

And at higher RPMs, turbos get power from the otherwise wasted energy (heat and flow) in the exhaust.

IMHO: No question that turbos are the only reasonable (fuel efficient using cheap production automotive parts) way to get lots of HP and torque.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:42 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabanaJoe View Post
One more question, why doesn't a turboed nitro funny car come close to beating a supercharged funny car if the acceleration of both types of engines can be close to equal as is implied on here?
Funny cars are ancient technology compared to F1's. The last time F1's were allowed to use FI it was turbos. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that they need quick throttle response. They had used supercharges prior to that, but the turbos worked better. Constant high RPM's and quick acceleration just like an off shore boat needs. A 20 year old F1 car is light years ahead of most any off shore boat as far as technology goes. If they say turbos are better I'm sticking with them.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrash View Post
My VW 2.0T is turbocharged, and it has so much torque off idle its hard to get going without spinning the wheels, even with electronic traction control enabled.

High torque turbocharging comes from variable geometry turbos. This means there is something like a throttle valve on the turbo inlet that directs the exhaust gasses to the outer edge of the turbo vanes. This does two things: like putting your finger in the water flow coming out of a hose, it increases the velocity of the gasses that are spinning the turbo vanes. But its also directed at the outer edges of the vanes, so that gives more leverage to the flow, so the turbo spins up FAST as soon as there is any exhaust flow.

Variable geometry turbos are simple, cheap, pervasive in autos, and give HUGE torque off-idle.

And at higher RPMs, turbos get power from the otherwise wasted energy (heat and flow) in the exhaust.

IMHO: No question that turbos are the only reasonable (fuel efficient using cheap production automotive parts) way to get lots of HP and torque.
+1 was just going to spell it out but you beat me too it..and did a better job. Gotta love those Jetta diesels. 46mpg and she has tons of power.. all for 24k..couldnt be happier.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:13 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by isellpower View Post
Funny cars are ancient technology compared to F1's. The last time F1's were allowed to use FI it was turbos. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that they need quick throttle response. They had used supercharges prior to that, but the turbos worked better. Constant high RPM's and quick acceleration just like an off shore boat needs. A 20 year old F1 car is light years ahead of most any off shore boat as far as technology goes. If they say turbos are better I'm sticking with them.
Ever watch a F1 car take off out of the pits? They have zero torque and nearly stall at low rpm (under 8000 rpm). Drag Racing is ancient technology????? Foolish statement. Drag Racing engines need torque to propel you fast. F1 cars need hp to maintain high speeds. There is a big difference in the applications here. Take a turbo car and put it in high gear and do not slip the clutch and see how much torque you have just like a boat would be. Now take a big block with a blower and do the same thing....
Old 12-31-2009, 01:34 PM
Registered

My Boats: 32 SeaCraft

Brad, just got home to read his reply and Thank You for taking the words out of my mouth for me!

In comparsion the computer controls for everything on an F1 car is far greater than a Top Fuel car - 100% true!

And the technology behind modern turbos compared to a roots or screw blower are leaps and bounds ahead - 100% true!

Like Brad said - what do you idle an F1 car at in the pits or on the starting line - 6,000 - 9,000 rpm's?

F1 cars don't have nearly the grip on the road surface a funny car has when starting from the line. Look at the tire compunds an F1 car would stall right out, you see them smoke tires becsuse the tires have no grip sitting there cold and they have traction control to limited wheel spin. It's not because they make sooo much power (as compared to a nitro burner)

All bull sh*t aside, to make a turbo charged boat accelerate you need multispeed trans just like a diesel boat does. To throttle a turbocharged boat I feel it's more learning how to do it than having better technology.

Last edited by HabanaJoe; 12-31-2009 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:56 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2Xmark View Post
The name of the boat is Footloose, has a pair of Tommy's twin turbo engines in it, he has had the boat on several runs and has never had any trouble with it.
Owner is Don Lightfoot out of Orange Texas area. Fine 43 Nortech.I wouldn't go as far to say no problems. I know several times had the motors out of it and dont think it had the speed he was looking for. Could be the boat though I know they were experimenting with the tunnel and such.
He's putting two speeds in it now