Notices

Mercury's Turbo Engines

Old 12-31-2009, 01:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Raylar
C'mon Ilmor, you guys didn't spend those millions and build that beautiful new Indy drive just for your 625-710 engines ,did you??? I may have been born at night, but I wasn't born in the Dark!

The Plot thickens!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Flys on the wall......

UD
Old 01-01-2010, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Flys on the wall......

UD
There are no bugs in our faclilty UD.....hah
Old 01-10-2010, 05:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
My take on turbos is they are still unproven in a boat. If they worked so well why are there not more boats with them? I keep hearing they are great yet where are they? Who is running them? Not little boats but offshore boats.
For what it's worth Dr. Bob called me on saturday to catch up.
Anyway's turbo's came up and here is what he had to say.

Dr. Bob has three performance boats including the latest edition to the fleet being the 38 Cougar below.

Anyways currently owns a triple engine fountain with Blower engine's.

Also owns a twin engine Cigarette with PSI blowers.

Last is the twin engine Cougar with twin Turbo's, and he said that he would take the turbo engines over any of them hands down!!

I realize everyone has there view on turbo's, but it's also fair to say Dr. Bob is no stranger to big power and has been involved with performance boats for a few decades. That being said I think he has a pretty valid opinion VS. someone just on the band wagon of the week no matter what it may be.

And also is more than just hear say.

Thats all for now.

Thanks
Jon
Attached Thumbnails Mercury's Turbo Engines-dr_bobs_1.jpg   Mercury's Turbo Engines-dr_bobs_2.jpg  
Old 01-10-2010, 05:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cougarman
For what it's worth Dr. Bob called me on saturday to catch up.
Anyway's turbo's came up and here is what he had to say.

Dr. Bob has three performance boats including the latest edition to the fleet being the 38 Cougar below.

Anyways currently owns a triple engine fountain with Blower engine's.

Also owns a twin engine Cigarette with PSI blowers.

Last is the twin engine Cougar with twin Turbo's, and he said that he would take the turbo engines over any of them hands down!!

I realize everyone has there view on turbo's, but it's also fair to say Dr. Bob is no stranger to big power and has been involved with performance boats for a few decades. That being said I think he has a pretty valid opinion VS. someone just on the band wagon of the week no matter what it may be.

And also is more than just hear say.

Thats all for now.

Thanks
Jon
very cool & thanks for sharing need more pics
Old 01-10-2010, 05:57 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BDARCHER
Water cooled eXuast housing. Water cooled these myself 17 yrs ago. It gets hotter in my BT with 500 than the twin turboed 350s in the cramped Superboat 30. It can still make 18 pounds of boost with water cooled Ex, and still dump ex in wastegate. Dont know why every ones not running Turbos. They idle like grandmas car and run like a raped ape. Id turbo the 46 BT but it would twist the XRs of the back. Bobby
I wanted to turbo my boat badly, but the exh. work scared me away. I can get the rest of the parts cheap (the turbos, coolers, etc.), but I can't find a cheap way to run the exh. without spending a ton on custom tube work.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:27 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tommys twin turbos .... what can you say ...WOW
Old 01-10-2010, 07:09 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FREEDOM US1
They will use Speed Shift Trannys. I have been running them in my 46 skater for two years and they work great. My boat was a test bed to make sure they wont break. 1st gear will allow the turbos to spool up and then shift to second gear. I use first gear for parking as its easy on the motors at low RPM if you have turbo or super charged motors. The first 5 sets of trannys are spoken for but we can build more if anybody wants a set. Thanks, Jim
I think these trannies are mythical like Unicorns and leprechauns! I was promised a set months ago and i'm still crashing into docks with by crashboxes everytime i go out. Maybe someday!!!!!
Old 01-10-2010, 07:56 PM
Skater Brother
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42
I think these trannies are mythical like Unicorns and leprechauns! I was promised a set months ago and i'm still crashing into docks with by crashboxes everytime i go out. Maybe someday!!!!!
Got you covered Gino!! Sorry for the wait! I might be able to bring a set to you at the boat show I'll buy the drinks!!! Mid March at the latest. Final R and D run confirmed final production configuration in Key West. 5 sets in work right now!! (Tyson when you read this please confirm delivery to Gino on OSO) Thank You,
Old 01-10-2010, 08:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42
Gino, let us know how they work, I'm getting a set if they perform well
Old 01-10-2010, 08:14 PM
Registered

I Had Pretty Good Success My Home Built Turbos Back In The Day. Had 372 Cu. Inch Engines, 12 Lbs Boost Developed 1003 Hp. Enteres 11 Races, Won 10, Won Natl Title And World Championship Without Once Taking Engines Out Of Boat. Had To Pull The Heads Once. So I Would Say , Turbos Are Diffently The Way To Go And This Was In 1983

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.