Like Tree9Likes

63' Bertram Possibly stuffed off SC???

Reply
Old 01-16-2010, 09:42 PM
  #111
Registered
Platinum Member
 
Comanche3Six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 9,273
Default

The spaghetti group! Oh Boy!
Comanche3Six is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:55 PM
  #112
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: New Jersey
My Boats: 2000 Powerplay 25'
Posts: 467
Default

Hey "Uncle" give it up!

Steve1 has forgotten more than you will ever know!
Powerplay25 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:47 AM
  #113
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,791
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerplay25 View Post
Hey "Uncle" give it up!

Steve1 has forgotten more than you will ever know!
Im actually back here for Bertram info.......

Steve can have you as a cheerleader, and Ill happily trade your support for someone with established credibility like T2x's backing on the subject.

Outside of this thread I probably agree with Steve a lot more than I disagree with him....



Back to Bertram... with 1.8M at stake Im really interested to see the outcome.

UD

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 01-17-2010 at 05:27 AM. Reason: spelling
Uncle Dave is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:10 AM
  #114
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Steve 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Beautiful Fort Lauderdale www.cheetahcat.com
My Boats: Slippery when wet!
Posts: 10,833
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Dave View Post
Im actually back here for Bertram info.......

Steve can have you as a cheerleader, and Ill happily trade your support for someone with established credibility like T2x's backing on the subject.

Outside of this thread I probably agree with Steve a lot more than I disagree with him....



Back to Bertram... with 1.8M at stake Im really interested to see the outcome.

UD
LOL uncle you are what we refer to as an "Expert" in this business with exactly enough Knowledge to be Dangerous!

Anyway until it is examined I am holding Judgment ;Animal House maybe close on the transom even at 30 Mph the pressure will be almost 1600 pounds per square Foot if it got hit by water rushing in through the forward hull breach.
Steve 1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:47 AM
  #115
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,791
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 1 View Post
LOL uncle you are what we refer to as an "Expert" in this business with exactly enough Knowledge to be Dangerous!

Anyway until it is examined I am holding Judgment ;Animal House maybe close on the transom even at 30 Mph the pressure will be almost 1600 pounds per square Foot if it got hit by water rushing in through the forward hull breach.
Us annoying clients have a bad habit of getting in the way of business......

Back to Bertram.....

The water rushing through the gap could have broken the transom off - but so cleanly?

How did the rudder get so tweaker?

Wouldn't the water resistance found it easier to go around vs push out the other side?

Im curious as to the claim that it just folded up. The pictures certainly show signs of delamination- heres a big question.

Do the delaminations picts prove defects in workmanship?


UD
Uncle Dave is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:59 AM
  #116
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Steve 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Beautiful Fort Lauderdale www.cheetahcat.com
My Boats: Slippery when wet!
Posts: 10,833
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Dave View Post
Us annoying clients have a bad habit of getting in the way of business......

Back to Bertram.....

The water rushing through the gap could have broken the transom off - but so cleanly?

How did the rudder get so tweaker?

Wouldn't the water resistance found it easier to go around vs push out the other side?

Im curious as to the claim that it just folded up. The pictures certainly show signs of delamination- heres a big question.

Do the delaminations picts prove defects in workmanship?


UD
Again with the cheap shots! Notice I am NOT saying the only way people like you could beat me is from the office not on the Race Course!! Be proud you fit that mold well.

The Bertram :It is all conjecture until it is examined by engineers and the laboratory evaluation is done on coupons cut from the damaged area.
Steve 1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:11 PM
  #117
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,791
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 1 View Post
Again with the cheap shots! Notice I am NOT saying the only way people like you could beat me is from the office not on the Race Course!! Be proud you fit that mold well.

The Bertram :It is all conjecture until it is examined by engineers and the laboratory evaluation is done on coupons cut from the damaged area.

The Cheap shots started on post 53 when you accused me of posting - " bogus data (again)".

Easy to try to attack Uncle Dave- you can make all kinds of statements about me, Im just an informed customer.

YOU ARE THE EXPERT. Problem is OTHER EXPERTS DISAGREE WITH YOU.

Its harder to attack your competition that supports the (supposedly bogus) datas conclusion than me so you attack me.

You dont want "Go there" when it means taking on Skaters choice of cores. Which incidentally - is mine.

We do agree on guns and nuclear power- (from the bilge)

Uncle Dave

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 01-17-2010 at 01:34 PM. Reason: added nuclear power- from the bilge
Uncle Dave is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:52 PM
  #118
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Steve 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Beautiful Fort Lauderdale www.cheetahcat.com
My Boats: Slippery when wet!
Posts: 10,833
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Dave View Post
The Cheap shots started on post 53 when you accused me of posting - " bogus data (again)".

Easy to try to attack Uncle Dave- you can make all kinds of statements about me, Im just an informed customer.

YOU ARE THE EXPERT. Problem is OTHER EXPERTS DISAGREE WITH YOU.

Its harder to attack your competition that supports the (supposedly bogus) datas conclusion than me so you attack me.

You dont want "Go there" when it means taking on Skaters choice of cores. Which incidentally - is mine.

We do agree on guns and nuclear power- (from the bilge)

Uncle Dave
Once again I have to school you. Now there are people trying to get that material banned for marine use.

Like when I went in the Company Office in the 70's and asked why were not using the Vinylester's that I had been reading and studying about, at this time on our race stuff, Unfortunately there was someone Exactly like you was behind the desk and the reply was "no one uses that" LOL and what happened next changed my life I lost a bottom in a Bimini race and decided to do the glass work myself after that. So thank You!!

Look very simple Here when I was looking for a building system,

I found one that I liked after much research , it was used Also in life boats that had to be launched from high up on oil platforms, this was a while back. The Dutch were using this material for Navy boats and Commercial craft.

The Testing Indicated a VERY good Fatigue Life as well, Here one test involved a 12" by 72" laminated panel being flexed 12" at one cycle per second for 5-6 million Cycles Two of these tests maybe 8 weeks each.

Now other material was tested as well!! Take your wildest swing at the one that survived!!

NOW Uncle you come in here with Bones and Bear claws mentality
like my Window Glass plate is Tougher than your Lexan Plate Look at this Load test ! ROFLMAO

And Why back in the day would I spend 3 times as much for the plastic core as the Wood?

Last edited by Steve 1; 01-17-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Steve 1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:34 PM
  #119
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,791
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 1 View Post
Once again I have to school you. Now there are people trying to get that material banned for marine use.

Like when I went in the Company Office in the 70's and asked why were not using the Vinylester's that I had been reading and studying about, at this time on our race stuff, Unfortunately there was someone Exactly like you was behind the desk and the reply was "no one uses that" LOL and what happened next changed my life I lost a bottom in a Bimini race and decided to do the glass work myself after that. So thank You!!

Look very simple Here when I was looking for a building system,

I found one that I liked after much research , it was used Also in life boats that had to be launched from high up on oil platforms, this was a while back. The Dutch were using this material for Navy boats and Commercial craft.

The Testing Indicated a VERY good Fatigue Life as well, Here one test involved a 12" by 72" laminated panel being flexed 12" at one cycle per second for 5-6 million Cycles Two of these tests maybe 8 weeks each.

Now other material was tested as well!! Take your wildest swing at the one that survived!!

NOW Uncle you come in here with Bones and Bear claws mentality
like my Window Glass plate is Tougher than your Lexan Plate Look at this Load test ! ROFLMAO

And Why back in the day would I spend 3 times as much for the plastic core as the Wood?

To be clear- which material is being considered for a ban?

<You mentioned this earlier and I didnt ask for clarification.>

(Nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to things being banned. I cant ride a 2 stoke anymore, or even ride my 4 stroke anymore because every where I do so Im killing some weed that supposedly only lives there. I cant buy a real ammo clip where I live, or a rifle that looks scary.)


To be sure and I have said it before, the man made materials are very light. the data shows this, and it goes back to your point of lightness.

From what I can tell EVERYTHING in boating is a compromise across various elements. to answer your question.

I think you pay more for it because you accept the compromise of lightness and flexibility over absolute stiffness and strength.

strength /lightness
Horsepower/longevity
Cheap/Good etc etc.

You seem to have found a way to use the foam material in a way that limits its downside, I dont dislike foam. My pet manufacturer builds race boats out of foam, or a foam balsa combo-and will build one any way you ask them to. I dont think they are stupid. They are experts, and will list what the compromises are. There are compromises.

The same guys though when building machine to last 20-50 years make the same boat using balsa telling me the tradeoff is a weight penalty for more rigidity and strength The data and 50 years of using it suport that conclusion.

Im not and never have said Foam is bad.

I do not get emotional and attack people because they do not agree with me, because it isn't "ME" they are disagreeing with. Its the host of experts with lifetimes of experience that must support and repair and answer for the product they sell today 50 years from now.

We seem to agree on Vinylester, but to be fair to me outside of this post you dont know me, and weve never exchanged mails and you likely havent followed threads of my builds or really "know me at all". So when you refer to "a guy behind the desk exactly like me" you are really resorting to another personal attack.

Funny thing is you are using vinylester as a story plot and you know for a fact I support vinylester as a material, I just did so in another thread you and I are both in where I quoted one of my pet builders in a discussion about epoxy or glass construction.

Instead of pointing out where we see eye to eye you choose to use it as a differentiator?

Like I said we see eye to eye on lots of things, just not all.

Respectfully,

Uncle Dave
Uncle Dave is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:45 PM
  #120
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,791
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport 280 View Post
Better than the Leno - Conan deal!
Good to know someones having fun!

UD
Uncle Dave is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:30 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.