Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   An offshore adventure story by Bobthebuilder, Story 3 How I grabbed the pole position (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/223405-offshore-adventure-story-bobthebuilder-story-3-how-i-grabbed-pole-position.html)

US MUSL 01-26-2010 10:20 PM

Pi$$ed my pants laughing. Keep those stories coming, can't wait until the next one.

Bobthebuilder 01-26-2010 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by MiniHawk (Post 3032372)
Would you have any other pictures of it? At the moment, i have my hands full with a MiniHawk.

Just some from a distance that are not as good as the one I posted. Sorry.

craig anderson 01-26-2010 10:23 PM

Nice! I actually live in TO. Should be a different thread...but what happened to the Lake Ontario run?

Bobthebuilder 01-26-2010 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by boatme (Post 3032357)
Bob

two words LET GO LOL

So Mark, are you sure you still want to take a run at the Chicago to Detroit record with me after reading some of this crazy stuff?? LOL

Bobthebuilder 01-26-2010 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by craig anderson (Post 3032389)
Nice! I actually live in TO. Should be a different thread...but what happened to the Lake Ontario run?

I just got an e mail from Bill Taylor yesterday saying that it is back on this summer. July 16 & 17 out of Port Credit. It will be a benefit for Hospital for Sick Children so that is something I am happy to support.

craig anderson 01-26-2010 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder (Post 3032394)
I just got an e mail from Bill Taylor yesterday saying that it is back on this summer. July 16 & 17 out of Port Credit. It will be a benefit for Hospital for Sick Children so that is something I am happy to support.

Awesome to hear......and for a great cause!!!

Bobthebuilder 01-26-2010 10:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by rockstrmkr (Post 3032342)
Yes Yes!!! Funny stories from Bob The Builder!
If it's ok, I'd just like to jump in and tell a Bob adventure that I was a part of.
Bob had recently taken delivery of "Mini-Me"( that's my name for his 38ft Donzi that pretty much matches the Big Nor-Tech Team Predator in colour.
It was a nice day so I was more than happy to join him on a cruise from Marco to Everglades City. If you look on a map you'll notice the 10,000 Islands inbetween and a whole bunch of shoals that are probably not navigatable...Unless you're B.T.B.:party-smiley-004:
As we were leaving Everglades City, it got really overcast and started to rain, and neither Bob nor I wanted to get our hair wet. Going the regular way would have taken us around a few Islands sort of South West through the rain before turning North and heading back towards Marco. But Bob had a better idea: His idea which was immediately implented involved going straight North North West, inbetween Islands with notoriously shallow water...I think his exact words were "Ok then, Hans? Brace yourself, we'll just try this" and he trimmed the boat out, pushed the throttles all the way forward with a big grin, and we hauled a$$ ....Passing the WARNING sign that said something to the effect of "18inches of water" ....I was puckered pretty tight and kept waiting for the boat to impale itself on a sandbank....But alas....we shot through those 18 inches of water for a few miles and I don't think there were any scuff marks on the boat (my underwear? Well, that was a different story):grinser010:

Having been on the Big boat with Bob from Key West to Cancun, and having not so long ago helped look for shortcuts going from Nassau to Georgetown, all I can say is that all of his boats should be named "No Fear"....Because he sure doesn't have any!!!!!

Looking forward to the next chapter!!!!!
H.

Hey, Hans. Was wondering if you would chime in. BTW that sign said " Caution, mean water depth 18 in." Too funny. That was just last year. Since you have only known me now for 5 years I thought I had pretty well matured but baybe not quite yet. LOL

On that shortcut we took thru the Islands I knew it could not be done in the Nor Tech but had a good shot at it in the Donzi. You now know why I carry both Sea Tow and Boat US memberships but truth be told I have not had to call the for help for at least 5 years now. That too is why you always see me checking the tides and whether its rising or falling. Since we are story telling tonight instead of doing something useful here is one for you.

I have been boating around Marco now for 20 years and all the water cops know me and the boats. I have never been ticketed for anything, on the water. One time another friend and I were cruising the Islands somewhere we should not have been. Since it was out of the marked channel technically the speed limit is 20 MPH. We pass a cop in the mangroves at about 50 MPH and he gets singled out for a ticket and the cop motions for me to keep going. Too funny.

offshoredrillin 01-27-2010 06:16 AM

Too funny bob

wananewboat 01-27-2010 06:49 AM

Bob, The same thing happened to me in Key West. I was helping a friend back in the old Pocket Money Cougar and I was on the back and he was about to hit a pole. When I yelled he hit forward and I had to jump and grab the pole or hit the drives. I held on for as long as I could, but slid down and hit the water. I tore all the tips off of my fingers trying to hold on, not a good sight. Good thing was I could still hold a drink after a box of Band Aids.

You and Gino need to get together the stories are great.

MiniHawk 01-27-2010 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder (Post 3032388)
Just some from a distance that are not as good as the one I posted. Sorry.

It's ok- thanks anyway.
BTW: Do you have any BIG trips planned for this year? Crossing the gulf of mexico?