Notices

GEICO vs SBI ???

Old 03-02-2010, 12:09 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil M
Yes - Years ago he would tie one to my truck at Point Pleasant - the leash was at least 1 1/4 inch in diameter - um.... that lasted about 10 minutes-

Richie is NO ONE TO FOOL with ! - He does not get mad - he gets EVEN - ( he used to say - "who let the dawgs out" )

Now you all know why he was my narrator for such a long time - he used to bring the dawgs with him at times - !

Just ask Rich to give you a "up close, and personal" evaluation ! but Sit down for this - ! you will die laughing !

Phil
Oh Phil......you can be such a charmer at times.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:51 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think it's tough for offshore powerboat racing to gain national TV coverage on a major network regardless of whether or not you're running offshore or "just offshore" (read: beachfront). As a matter of fact, I'm not certain why you would ever want coverage from any of the three major networks...it would be a simple fluff piece with absolutely NO chance of long term support...so quit barking up the tree for CBS, NBC or ABC...they're a complete and total waste of time.

The gig offshore powerboat racing had with Speedvision is what you want...had it not been sold some moron who didn't understand the entire reason for the channel offshore powerboat racing might still be on the air and strong.

When MMA fighting (read: UFC) wanted to grow their sport (the number growing sport worldwide right now), you didn't see them begging a major network...it wouldn't have worked long term and even Dana White was smart enough to realize that...instead they went to Spike and pushed their product there...if it was successful (and they felt it would be) it would have a chance at long term success...had it not been for Spike I can assure you MMA as a sport and the UFC as an organization would not be in their current number one growth spot.

Curling (you know sliding "stones" on the ice) has a better chance of landing a big network deal than offshore racing and it's boring as hell. The problem with offshore racing isn't whether or not it's offshore or next to shore, it's entirely to do with the product itself.

NASCAR is successful for many reasons (even today as they find the need to reinvent themselves), first everyone can identify with the brand of cars as they win. Even Powerboat Magazine has failed offshore powerboat racing by not understanding this relatively easy to understand concept...they rarely mention much about the brands that are racing...particularly not in the race results...the driver/throttleman should be listed as well as the boat model and power...if you want the average boating "Joe" to follow it, give him/her a reason to.

NASCAR is also successful because they market with common everyday products...the product of NASCAR had to become successful before the sponsors came...and that came when more people had their eyes on the cars...not just in the stands but with cameras following them. Not as easily done in offshore racing...spectators can't see anything...and a boat running along the shore, even when traveling in excess of 100mph looks like it's crawling...cameras following the boat...well, you have a much larger canvas with a big offshore boat than a car, but...it's bouncing around and hard to follow all that well...even if you could not many of the boats have major sponsors at this time...again, you have to have the successful formula before you will have big sponsorship opportunities...and offshore powerboat racing just isn't there.

Some of these things might seem petty...but if you add them up they become something larger...and you need to address them one at a time to have a better product to offer.

The history of powerboat racing...well, this in and of itself is the largest detriment to the sport. Anyone looking at promoting the sport let alone televising it is certain to look into the history and while I can promise you it's filled with colorful people...some good, some great and unfortunately some that are down right bad people, there's not a lot of stability in it. Look at the big names that come and go...when one rolls in everyone clammers around them, treats them like Gods and hopes they bring attention to the sport. History has shown time and time again that these people (read: celebrities) come and go quicker than Bravo I with 1000 horsepower in front of it.

NASCAR wasn't built on celebrities...it created them...it created legends. Our sport has great legends...they're just not promoted well. You can't blame promoters for trying to make the best of an actor or singer that jump into our sport...but I think they always do more damage than good.

In the end, I think the sport was making great strides in the late 90's early 00's...I believe Michael Allweiss had a great vision and was pushing it in the right direction but everyone wasn't onboard and ego's got in the way...on both sides. I think this was the closest our sport ever came to going mainstream.

The last thing I will say it that our sport has always had too many people or organizations thinking they can do it better...too many sanctioning bodies trying to deliver the same thing only different...dividing a sport that just wasn't big enough to be divided. Creating animosity between teams, people, companies and even fans.

I don't have all the answers...but if I had a million dollars...well, I'd buy myself a nice boat and run like hell! By the way, did you know gas is less than .15 cents a gallon in Venezuela...imagine that...less than .20 cents a minute at wide open throttle!! Anyone up for a boat ride?
Old 03-02-2010, 09:19 PM
Registered

Received 875 Likes on 317 Posts

well said MrOffshore. the other factor is viewership. everyone likes to think people will watch because we want to watch. in reality NO network is going to waste time with a show that may bring 40 or 50 thousand people. they want millions of viewers. the other is as was stated it does not make for a good show based on the availible video the shows have been made from. I have been involved in offshore for over 30 years and I find the shows boring to watch on TV. having said that let the bashing begin by those who think otherwise.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:58 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by compedgemarine
well said MrOffshore. the other factor is viewership. everyone likes to think people will watch because we want to watch. in reality NO network is going to waste time with a show that may bring 40 or 50 thousand people. they want millions of viewers. the other is as was stated it does not make for a good show based on the availible video the shows have been made from. I have been involved in offshore for over 30 years and I find the shows boring to watch on TV. having said that let the bashing begin by those who think otherwise.
Agreed...the sport simply isn't that big and the industry isn't doing anything to help it grow or interest non participants. Speedvision did well (as well as could be expected) because people tuned into that network to see different types of motorsports. Someone might come across offshore powerboat racing while flipping through the channels and decide to check it out...still though, as you stated, that won't really account for too many people...so the only other way you're getting on any kind of worthwhile network is to pay for it.

You're also right in that even with powerboating being a passion of mine I too find it rather boring on television, I watch it just because it's what I like, but there's really nothing too exciting about it. There are some good commentaters...Rich Luhrs, Martin Sanborn...they make it more interesting, but there's really only so much you can say about it before someone that's not a fan starts surfing the channels again.

Now, if you really want to make it exciting...change the rules a bit...allow collisions, jumping from one boat to another to disable or take out a throttleman...who knows, this might end up bigger than MMA!! You might even get the likes of a Randy Couture and BJ Penn to run a boat!!

All kidding aside, I guess we really just need to accept the sport for what it is...there were certainly some great hopes in the late 90's when things were looking so good and boat counts were high and sponsors were coming to consider our sport as somewhat viable...but that didn't last.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:13 AM
AKA "BAZOOKA JOE"
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Xtremeracing
Tim,
SBI put that together at no cost to Geico
WRONG SBI did nothing AMF aet it up and paid for it like he does each year at the NY race
Old 03-03-2010, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Mr. Offshore hit the nail on the head.

I was involved with the SpeedVision Productions with the GLSCS. Viewership was low 75-100k per show. But the average Joe looking to watch some kind of racing tuned in to see racing. We had a pretty decent deal from 1996 till 2004 when to cost just burned everyone out. 50k to put on a basic divisional race and $25k of that went to TV. Formula Boats gave us $20k per year and was the title sponsor. The rest of the cost was put on the racers and promoters who were racers and hit up their friends to raise the money to be able to get out there and enjoy ther sport.

JC has always bullied his way into racers pockets and took advantage of race sites to benefit his greed.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a racer its hard enough to get sponcers now with everyone cryin tight money but when you can't give the sponcer what you promise your done. All sbi racers had to run the CBS logo on the boat before getting inspection. One of my sponcers wanted half their money back because of no TV we did two in the water spots with CBS and my sponcers were there to watch. Insted of cash I'm running their sponcer logo for free this coming year. I sure hope someone gets TV worked out I'll come race with them ????
Old 03-08-2010, 01:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CIG3
Mr. Offshore hit the nail on the head.

I was involved with the SpeedVision Productions with the GLSCS. Viewership was low 75-100k per show. But the average Joe looking to watch some kind of racing tuned in to see racing. We had a pretty decent deal from 1996 till 2004 when to cost just burned everyone out. 50k to put on a basic divisional race and $25k of that went to TV. Formula Boats gave us $20k per year and was the title sponsor. The rest of the cost was put on the racers and promoters who were racers and hit up their friends to raise the money to be able to get out there and enjoy ther sport.

JC has always bullied his way into racers pockets and took advantage of race sites to benefit his greed.

SpeedVision was great and after watching the races, you got to know who the racers where and the classes which they were racing in.