Shore Power wiring question

Old 03-28-2010, 10:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for better understanding
Old 03-29-2010, 05:55 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Now I'm really confused. Is the galvanic isolator's purpose to protect from corrosion that might be caused from other boats or shore power cords hanging in the water at a marina or to protect from corosion from your own boat "if that is even possible"? Will hooking up the green AC ground to the DC negative on the boat provide an opportunity to introduce corrosion to your boat? This is turning out to be more complicated than I thought.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:47 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by neva satisfied
Now I'm really confused. Is the galvanic isolator's purpose to protect from corrosion that might be caused from other boats or shore power cords hanging in the water at a marina or to protect from corosion from your own boat "if that is even possible"? Will hooking up the green AC ground to the DC negative on the boat provide an opportunity to introduce corrosion to your boat? This is turning out to be more complicated than I thought.
No, it's just the opposite... It protects yourself, others and from other sources (wires in the water, bad dock wiring, bad boat wiring).
Old 03-29-2010, 10:57 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

So if i understand everything correctly, this is how my wiring would look.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:50 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I just got off the phone with my local marina tech and he told me what they generally do is run the AC GREEN down to the engine compartment and hook it to something as low as possible. In my case he suggested that I hook it to one of the bolts on the transome assembly. (that should be fun with twins) Now my worrying mind just thought of something. When we weld on a truck, we must disconect the batteries in order not to fry the computer. Wouldn't stray current or a shore power cord wired incorrectly send a current through your boat and fry something?