Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Sail boaters vs. Power boaters... >

Sail boaters vs. Power boaters...

Notices

Sail boaters vs. Power boaters...

Old 04-10-2010, 05:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure it even is just the sailboaters. I've gotten attitude from guys in smaller powerboats and cruisers too. Some people just hate performance boats, probably because they are jealous?.....I have no idea.

I was coming out of Sag Harbor 2 summers ago, and passed a guy in a cruiser. He was doing about 35 and I was doing about 60, I passed him real wide and did absolutely nothing inappropriate or illegal but sure enough he flipped me off as I went by.

Same summer coming out of Port Jeff idling through the no wake zone this guy in a 28ft Sea Ray is approaching from my port side. I clearly have the right of way plus I am in the channel and he isn't but instead of backing off he gives it the gas to get right in front of me as he crosses the channel, and I have to throw it in neautral to let him go by. Then he circles around me glaring daggers through me and waving his arms in disgust!!

Some people are just a**holes, nothing you can do but shrug it off.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:59 PM
Registered

Last edited by gare; 04-10-2010 at 08:16 PM. Reason: NEEDED TO QUOTE OTHER POST
Old 04-10-2010, 08:16 PM
Registered

Default liberal sailboaters....hmmm it's all old conservatives around here

Originally Posted by wideawake
Blow boaters are typical liberals.

Blow boaters motto: The wind is free and everything else should be.
Don't find many liberal blow boaters in central Illinois. It's all older conservatives. In fact one walked up to a buddy of mine who was using both of our docks regular gas pumps to fill his tanks. The blow boater asked how long it would be and became irrate when told it takes a while to pump a couple hundred gallons per side. After finally becoming irritated enough at the moron my buddy pulled the hose out and filled up his six gallon can and told him to beat it. Bear in mind he could have paid ten cents a gallon more for premium but he would rather just *****. Now that's as conservative as you get. True story.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't get why the sail boaters have a hard on for the powerboats.. Today was a beautiful day on the water, handfuls of sailboats(most under power) and powerboats, one would think that everyone is out to enjoy being on the water.. I'm idling down the Anclote river at 1,100 rpm in the idle only, no wake zone when I get passed by a 35' sailboat under power. Do I have a problem with that, not really, other than he probably has that inboard full throttle- he waves, we wave, great day on the water..
1/2 mile later when the no wake zone ends and I carefully pass with as much room as possible- we wave and get dirty looks and hand gestures back. If you carefully pass doing everything possible not to disrupt them and they still don't like it??? Whatever I'm still going to enjoy my day on the water in my noisy little piece of crap.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:30 PM
Registered

Sailing vs. Powerboating:

This has become a feud when powerboats first gained popularity and interest back in the 50's.

If one goes back it is the sailing vessel and the operator who truly epitomizes what boating is all about hence the term sailor.

A sailor is a true boater in the purest sense of the word and with it comes centuries of aristocracy and a sense of entitlement. I can remember a high school buddy of mine named Nyle asked me to go on a trip during the summer to Hawaii--yeah sure when does the plane leave. The answer was no were leaving in a 52 foot sloop it had an engine but the idea was to take a month and sail to Hawaii. I passed due to not having enough intestinal fortitude to join them both on their epic adventure. A decision I regret to this day and wish I could have an opportunity like that one again.

Nyle knew how to use a sexton to navigate, back when he was a junior in high school. No GPS stuff using charts and graphs, protractor and slide rule to navigate with precision. An amazing individual and one helluva sailor and boater whom I respect a great deal today.

So why am I telling you this story. It relates to the attitude of the sailor when viewing the powerboater who must remain near shore to partake of their diet rich in petroleum. I understand the arrogance and it is derived from centuries of exploration, adventure and courage.

Is it right?

I do not think so at least not from my perspective.

However, really great sailors do not have a chip on their shoulder as they do not see performance boating as a rival. They rather view us as novices who cannot travel far from the nearest gas pump with limited skills as sailors.

Once you understand the perspective you will not fight it rather if a sailing vessel waves at me I will reciprocate but usually I am hauling azz so I rarely ever take my hand off the throttle for such subtleties.

I love performance boating and only wish the performance boating community was as solid as the sailing community. If that were the case their would be a lot less no wake zones or regulatory markers.

KAP

P.S. "I love the smell of VP 110 it smells like victory"

Last edited by kap328; 04-11-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:49 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The bad feelings are there. It will never change ............. who cares.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:03 PM
Registered

Nice post!

Originally Posted by kap328

This has became a feud when powerboats first gained popularity and interest back in the 50's.

If one goes back it is the sailing vessel and the operator who truly epitomizes what boating is all about hence the term sailor.

A sailor is a true boater in the purest sense of the word and with it comes centuries of aristocracy and a sense of entitlement. I can remember a high school buddy of mine named Nyle asked me to go on a trip during the summer to Hawaii--yeah sure when does the plane leave. The answer was no were leaving in a 52 foot sloop it had an engine but the idea was to take a month and sail to Hawaii. I passed due to not having enough intestinal fortitude to join them both on their epic adventure. A decision I regret to this day and wish I could have an opportunity like that one again.

Nyle knew how to use a sexton to navigate, back when he was a junior in high school. No GPS stuff using charts and graphs, protractor and slide rule to navigate with precision. An amazing individual and one helluva sailor and boater whom I respect a great deal today.

So why am I telling you this story. It relates to the attitude of the sailor when viewing the powerboater who must remain near shore to partake of their diet rich in petroleum. I understand the arrogance and it is derived from centuries of exploration, adventure and courage.

Is it right?

However, really great sailors do not have a chip on their shoulder as they do not see performance boating as a rival. They rather view us as novices who cannot travel far from the nearest gas pump with limited skills as sailors.

Once you understand the perspective you will not fight it rather if a sailing vessel waves at me I will reciprocate but usually I am hauling azz so I rarely ever take my hand off the throttle for such subtleties.

I love performance boating and only wish the performance boating community was as solid as the sailing community. If that were the case their would be a lot less no wake zones or regulatory markers.

KAP

Old 04-11-2010, 02:13 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
I sailed a Hobie Cat 16 for about 12 years.
I had a 14 & 18 for many years, it's still one of the most fun boats I've ever owned...with a good stiff breeze of course.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:04 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

One of the best clips on the radio on the same topic...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KkXOz3nmHU
Old 04-11-2010, 04:13 PM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by kap328

This has became a feud when powerboats first gained popularity and interest back in the 50's.

Is it right?

KAP

GREAT POST!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.