Sail boaters vs. Power boaters... >

Sail boaters vs. Power boaters...

Notices

Sail boaters vs. Power boaters...

Old 04-11-2010, 05:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
I had a 14 & 18 for many years, it's still one of the most fun boats I've ever owned...with a good stiff breeze of course.

I think the 14 didn't have a jib right? The 18 always looked awesome to me....! It had a different hull design (not a bananna). Here's a few pics I just dug up from the early 80's......good times!

We were doing a a road trip to San Felipe Mexico for a Hobie regatta. I rented a U-Haul motor home to go down there. I remember taking that U-Haul to Mexico was NO from them.....LOL.....young and dumb, we went anyway! Sail 72589 was mine.

I normally pulled it with a red/white 1968 VW semi-camper van I had. I had the motor built to an 1835cc with dual 44 Weber carbs, all chrome metal, dual exhausts, and dual oil coolers. It rocked! Good times! Nice mullet.....LOL!
Attached Thumbnails Sail boaters vs. Power boaters...-mex-1.jpg   Sail boaters vs. Power boaters...-mex-4.jpg   Sail boaters vs. Power boaters...-mex-2.jpg  

Sail boaters vs. Power boaters...-van.jpg   Sail boaters vs. Power boaters...-mex-3.jpg  
Old 04-11-2010, 05:45 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Talking

My 1st boat was the Hobie 10 mono hull.

Back then while just a kid, I ran that out to the Mile Bouy off Manasquan Inlet with a strong SE wind I was hauling back in with the wind at my back and riding the rollers. It was awesome.
Not knowing enough at that age I always watched the Hobie Cats come in and beach with ease. So I tried it with the Hobie 10. Not a good idea. The cats glide through the water as the mono hull did not. I came in riding a wave, lost the wind in the sail and it stopped dead while the next wave caem in and flipped me stern over bow. I went right for the bottom so I would not get hit with anything. When I surfaced i saw my boat upside down. I knew this couldt't be good as I was in 6 feet of water with a 17 ft mast. I totaled the boat by breaking the mast, centerboard and rudder all in one wave .

It was fun while it lasted.

My next boat I upgraded to the Bullet 130 and began surfing with that....

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 04-11-2010, 09:24 PM
Registered

Phantom Chaos and Knot Right:

Thank you for the kind words!

I hope it sheds some light on the subject for all boaters.

KAP
Old 04-11-2010, 10:10 PM
Registered
VIP Member

We call sailboats "WAFI's". Wind assisted *ucken idiots
Old 03-25-2012, 02:20 AM
Registered

I'm still searching everywhere for that essay Berkeley Breathed wrote years ago that absolutely harpooned blowboaters, talking about their wives underarm hair, their distinctive smells, and waving goodbye for two days as they sail out of sight! Funniest thing I've ever read, saved it for years on my desk, and it was mistakenly thrown away. I've searched the internet. Can ANYONE find me a copy or direct me to a published version? Apparently it appeared in BOATING magazine back in the eighties. I would love to find it again?
Old 03-25-2012, 07:57 AM
Registered

My first encounter with windeys was 4 or five guys on there sailboat tied up at the dock shouting something at me as i went past , i could not here what they were saying ,but my freind on my boat could ,he said thay were shouting out 1 gallon 2gallons 3 gallons , .then the same guys back at the boat club come over to me as i was washing my boat down and said they couldnt see the point crashing about over the waves at speed . i said to them i couldnt see the point of spending the day on the same wave ,i allso said if you needed to be rescued from your sinking yacht should i send a sailboat or something powerd and fast ,they kinder just mooched off .
Old 03-25-2012, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

If you're letting a perceived feud with sail boaters bother you on your day off on the water I fell sorry for you.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:49 AM
Registered

if you refering to me , no need to feel sorry for me , it was 20 years ago and it didnt bother me i thought it was funny at the time .
Old 03-25-2012, 02:38 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by paul buckner
if you refering to me , no need to feel sorry for me , it was 20 years ago and it didnt bother me i thought it was funny at the time .
Paul,
No I wasn't referring to you. I just think the whole power boater vs. sail boater issue isn't something to get upset about. Now bring up any boater having no clue regarding passing, overtaking, crossing etc. and I'll get hot.
ed
Old 03-25-2012, 05:36 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Interceptor
If you're letting a perceived feud with sail boaters bother you on your day off on the water I fell sorry for you.
I never let it bother me. Found it more amusing and intregued as to why many seem to HATE powerboaters so much. Kind've funny actually.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.