Like Tree0Likes

deadliest catch and phil harris

Reply
Old 07-21-2010, 09:44 AM
  #11
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 324
Default

During the whole show I was thinking about my Father who had a commercial fishing license on a very small scale. fished to pay for the boat,fuel,ect. I can say there where tears on my cheeks remembering fishing with him.
zzzzzz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:06 AM
  #12
Registered
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 701
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydwayz View Post
I do have to say...

As much as I have come to re-like the show, I think it's on purpose. The editors can make timing and story come together however they want. The storm and timing of Phil's death may not have coincided. The viewership tends to "legend-ize" these guys; and I'm not saying without reason. For those of you who have watched the show for years, I think you can tell that the show changed from a documentary to a real-life drama series as the producers and editors tuned their learning curve. It's still well done, and those fisherman have balls that clank.
deffinently true

but i have to say that this is the only tv i know of that has actualled followed it's documentry/reality cast to a death. no other show has lasted that long to attach itself to the viewers.

it is a great show and a sad loss
skaterdave is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:33 AM
  #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 94
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaterdave View Post
deffinently true

but i have to say that this is the only tv i know of that has actualled followed it's documentry/reality cast to a death. no other show has lasted that long to attach itself to the viewers.

it is a great show and a sad loss
I agree
Davidmnc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:43 AM
  #14
Charter Member
Charter Member
Trade Score: (1)
 
Ted G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Edgerock Baby!!
My Boats: Marlago 35 FS, 18 Neptune CC
Posts: 7,661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydwayz View Post
I do have to say...

As much as I have come to re-like the show, I think it's on purpose. The editors can make timing and story come together however they want. The storm and timing of Phil's death may not have coincided. The viewership tends to "legend-ize" these guys; and I'm not saying without reason. For those of you who have watched the show for years, I think you can tell that the show changed from a documentary to a real-life drama series as the producers and editors tuned their learning curve. It's still well done, and those fisherman have balls that clank.
While I agree with that, I think there is also a learning curve by the guys. They have found what will get them more air time and I know for a fact have staged "incidents" to make some drama. Whether this is done with the approval of Discovery or not I have no idea. They still do everyday business and some of the stuff that happens is part of that, but there is an effort to make the show more interesting, not knocking it, it is a great show.

Interesting fact: It was Mike Rowe's idea. He developed it and did a season as a greenhorn to make a show called "Greenhorn" . As it was coming to production they also decided to make Dirty Jobs and wanted him to front that (also his idea) so they cut all his footage from the crabbing show and that is what became "Catch".
__________________
Chesapeake Bay Powerboat Association
www.cbpba.com
Ted G is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:46 AM
  #15
Sun, sand and sea!
Gold Member
 
Ange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Deale, MD
My Boats: 23' Regulator CC & Searching for the perfect 20'-26'...
Posts: 6,074
Default

I will be the first to admit I was a cryer last night. Capt. Phil Harris took the adage "Live like there's no tomorrow" to heart. Jake and Josh now have a lot of video of their time with their dad on the boat thanks to Discovery.

You have to admit that Phil Harris was a he!! of a man to have touched so many lives.

RIP Capt. Phil
Ange is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:15 AM
  #16
Registered
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 35
Default

He was by far my favorite of the show. He seemed like one of those guys that would sit and talk to you for hours if you bumped into him on the street. I know other boats do it too but you have to respect a man who is willing to risk his sons lives not just guys he hired off the street, if I was a deckhand I'd have even more confidence that he'llget me home alive knowing his only children are working alongside me. He is going to be missed, but he left a mark on this world that means so much to so many people that he will never be forgotten.
Russ13100 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:17 PM
  #17
Registered
Platinum Member
Trade Score: (3)
 
tomtbone1993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: LAKE CONROE, TX
My Boats: 42 FOUNTAIN / MALIBU
Posts: 15,486
Default

RIP Captain Phill. Last night was a sad episode. It was very cool to see his life from a kid until he passed away. You could tell from the other captains and crew members he was respected. In my mind you can't make that chit up. The expression on Cig's face "Captain of the Northwesten" was gut turning after he found out Phill passed away.
tomtbone1993 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:37 PM
  #18
Member #9
Charter Member
 
hp500efi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Pewaukee, WI
Posts: 4,269
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtbone1993 View Post
RIP Captain Phill. Last night was a sad episode. It was very cool to see his life from a kid until he passed away. You could tell from the other captains and crew members he was respected. In my mind you can't make that chit up. The expression on Cig's face "Captain of the Northwesten" was gut turning after he found out Phill passed away.
Great shows last night and agree with what was all said.
__________________
Member of the Liquid Jungle
hp500efi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:55 PM
  #19
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
cig28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: East Coast
My Boats: 1979 mirage 9m-ss
Posts: 382
Default

RIP Captain phil you'll be missed.
cig28 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:58 PM
  #20
Registered
 
Semper Fi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: SoCal
Posts: 4,234
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30ctsutphen View Post
Watched the shows tonight and that sea was incredible while he was sick.

after he passed away the sea was dead calm.

Just incredible how things happen sometimes.

The tribute show was very cool as well and really showed how great a guy he was and how well respected
I watched the show periodically. I was sad to see that captain Phil pased away
Semper Fi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:25 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.