Skater 30 / ILMOR Indy Upgrade >

Skater 30 / ILMOR Indy Upgrade

Notices

Skater 30 / ILMOR Indy Upgrade

Old 07-27-2010, 09:58 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NASCAT
Beginning to resemble a boat now! As much as I'd like to take credit for the idea of matching the trim tabs & swim platform to ILMOR's Indy drive color I can't I copied C-Sprays ILMOR/Indy Bat Boat!
You resemble a boat??
Old 07-27-2010, 10:34 PM
LOOK AT THE LEAD NOW!!!!!
Platinum Member

Looking good!
Old 07-28-2010, 07:03 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

...As much as I'd like to take credit for the idea of matching the trim tabs & swim platform to ILMOR's Indy drive color I can't I copied C-Sprays ILMOR/Indy Bat Boat!
Good taste NEVER goes out of style...

Stop by Chesapeake Bay on your way back to NC. We can compare rigging notes!!
Old 07-28-2010, 07:05 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by C_Spray
Good taste NEVER goes out of style...

Stop by Chesapeake Bay on your way back to NC. We can compare rigging notes!!
Funny you mention that, I got a call inviting me to Rock the Bay the end of Aug. I'm going to have to look into that!
Old 07-28-2010, 12:49 PM
Registered

Looking Sweet, I'll have to drive up to the lake and watch you test it out!! Good luck and awesome project. Bill
Old 07-28-2010, 12:56 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I hope to get the opportunity to sea trial it w/ Skater & Ilmor when I pick it up but if not you are welcome to join me here in NC we can boat into November & often see 60's=70's in Jan too.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:42 PM
Registered

I hope to get the opportunity to sea trial it w/ Skater & Ilmor when I pick it up but if not you are welcome to join me here in NC we can boat into November & often see 60's=70's in Jan too.
Thats weak. We in Michigan boat well into November and often see low 50's as the high........
We actually have these sweet facemask's we wear!!
Old 07-28-2010, 02:00 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

Beginning to resemble a boat now! As much as I'd like to take credit for the idea of matching the trim tabs & swim platform to ILMOR's Indy drive color I can't I copied C-Sprays ILMOR/Indy Bat Boat!
Hot damn! Looking good- gotta love it when a plan comes together. Helluva cool project- thanks for taking time to document it and share.

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
Old 07-28-2010, 02:53 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

NASCAT - We're doing a five-day event with NJPPC on the Chesapeake from August 19-23. Come and do that one; then you'll REALLY see the Bay...

Looking good. I admire that you're in a position to do this with primarily two tools: a phone and a checkbook!

I wound up using those as well, but also everything in the shop from a hammer to a millling machine and everything in between. Re-rigs are hard work, no matter where you're coming from and where you're going to. At least you'l have a bulletproof drivetrain now!

(I see the Cat In The Hat has crashed another plane. One of these days his luck will run out, and life will get a little easier for you guys at HMS.)
Old 07-28-2010, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Merc Data

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
The ilmor uses many design features to accomplish this reduction in parasitic loss- its not magic its modern design and metallurgy combined with money

As for engines - never heard of you chief, heres a newsflash- Dustin may be independent but is vastly more credible than you and has very few peers in the engine building department, so unless your the worlds best kept secret <doubt it>
I dont see how anything that comes out of your mouth counts for anything but your own lone opinion as well.

Several guys have documented the merc # directly from their boats to his dyno in person.
An interesting note though is that he says all the Teague engines he's dynod have been over spec.

Let the magic fly from your fingertips and do your own f-ing homework at least a tiny bit before calling BS on me.

Lets see your data now.

Uncle Dave
Here's my data:

Uncle Dave: “a # 6 takes between 80 & 100 HP to turn”
Data: a dry sump six @ 6,000 rpm input speed consumes 12 hp and a BAM Super Cyborg @ 6,000 rpm consumes 25 hp. That is a total of 37 hp in a shiftable consumer set-up like a 1075SCi. (Even in the old days of the wet-sump Kiekhaefer drive, the total loss through a hydraulic transmission was about 70 hp.)

Uncle Dave: “Ive [sic] seen bravo #'s around 40-55”
Data: a Bravo XR @ 5,200 rpm consumes 25 hp at full lub fill.

Uncle Dave: “NXT is probably at or better than a bravo- maybe not.”
Data: dry sump NXT drive @ 6,000 rpm consumes 11 hp. An NXT transmission consumes 7 hp. That’s a worst case total of 18 hp in a shiftable consumer set-up like a 700SCi.

Uncle Dave’s second hand report: Dustin Whipple has been testing merc 6 & 700's and says they simply dont [sic] meet the HP spec out of the box the last 700 was like 30 HP down in stock form.
Data: The last four 700SCi’s across Merc’s dynos pulled 705, 708, 705 and 717 (ISO Standard 3046) corrected bhp. The last two 600SCi’s pulled 632 and 624 ISO corrected bhp.

On dyno numbers, professional engineers apply correction factors to normalize for temperature and humidity. Also, they "soak" the engine at WOT to get stable operating coolant and oil pressures and temperatures - yielding realistic and repeatable data. Flash "run and grab" data points, like one sees on YouTube, are not professional methods. Merc Racing is ISO certified in all its dyno and production methods.

Uncle Dave, all I asked for was data to substantiate your claims. The loss numbers you stated for the Merc drives were simply not factual. Moreover, they were grossly overstated. That's why I called BS (If not under these circumstances, then when?). I believe the Ilmor Indy could be 10-14 hp loss - that's credible (but I don't have that data) - then add a transmission.

As for the rest of your personal slam, I don't deserve it and I won't dignify it with a further response.

And NASCAT, I hope your project turns out well. Looks good so far!

Last edited by FasterFaster; 07-28-2010 at 04:57 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.