Skater 30 / ILMOR Indy Upgrade

Notices

Skater 30 / ILMOR Indy Upgrade

Old 07-26-2010, 10:57 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by C_Spray
You can join me in lobbying Ilmor for a 4" shortie. Say, about 14" or 15" from the crank CL to the propshaft CL? I'd love to get my engine back down into the bottom of the bilge and remove "Make header blisters" from the job list...
Oh now you tell me!
Old 07-26-2010, 06:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
"Originally Posted by Whipple Charged
What in the world does a Kilo record have to do with a TCM800EFI?

The fact of the matter is extremely simple, and I can back it up 100%. The TCM800 EFI, as it is shipped makes well over 800HP in standard correction, which Sterling and all other custom engine mfg's use (industry standard). Some can vary that number and make they're own correction factor, but using Superflow's, which takes baro, temp, humidity reading shows this motor makes a consistent 850hp. I know this because I just spent 1 full week on the dyno, and nearly 100 runs on one and never did it make less than 800, not even close. In fact, it makes 820-830 SAE HP which is what OEM's are suppose to use, such as Mercury Marine.

Now lets talk about Mercury Marine. I just spent 3 weeks with a 600SCI and 1 week with a 700SCI on the dyno. Standard correction factors, the best runs for the 600SCI was 580HP. The best for the 700SCI, 669HP. I do have to give it to Merc though, the 525 consistently makes 545HP. SAE numbers fall far below except for the 525 EFI.

So, when talking about numbers, some may fudge, some may not run on good dyno's, etc, but I know for a fact that the TCM 800 is understated on power, as is the TCM 900. Both make consistently 25-50HP more than advertised.

Dustin Whipple"

Curious what your experience in the dyno room or anywhere else shows.

So Ive gotten 3 independent data points to back my post now, and you've supplied about as much useful info as the Apache Chief character in the super-friends.

Uncle Dave
I believe what your reporting, especially since its all on the same dyno. My only curiousity is boat speeds. 39 Cig's run 86-87 with 525's and 105 with 700's. That's 19 mph faster with (545 vs. 669) 125 hp difference. That's 1 MPH for every 6.6 HP. seems unrealistic. Same basic numbers for 37 Active Thunders.

Now I know the 700 has torque from the blower, but I also think the NXT and most notably the SSM props are way more efficient than bravo props.

Moral of the story, NASCAT wiil hit 143MPH compared to 135 previously with nothing but drive change and better props!!!!!!
Old 07-26-2010, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Very interesting thread Nascat. I have left 2 prop's and two broken shafts on the bottom of our lake this summer, Imco SC's and 710's in my DCB F29. Idling back on one screw at 8 mph SUCKS especially when it happens 25 miles from home. We are waiting for parts AGAIN, hopefully will have her back on the water before the weekend. When the Indy drive came out I thought it looked great (expensive) but dropping props and shafts every 10 hours is getting costly too. Do you have an estimated total of what this swap is going to cost? Feel free to pm me if you want to keep this quiet.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:05 PM
Registered

dkwestern, you have the math right just x2 engines. 13.2 hp per mph.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh this is getting fun! And the anticipation.......
Old 07-27-2010, 05:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by X-rated
Very interesting thread Nascat. I have left 2 prop's and two broken shafts on the bottom of our lake this summer, Imco SC's and 710's in my DCB F29. Idling back on one screw at 8 mph SUCKS especially when it happens 25 miles from home. We are waiting for parts AGAIN, hopefully will have her back on the water before the weekend. When the Indy drive came out I thought it looked great (expensive) but dropping props and shafts every 10 hours is getting costly too. Do you have an estimated total of what this swap is going to cost? Feel free to pm me if you want to keep this quiet.
Been there done that so I hear you loud & clear. At this time I do not & until the project is complete I won't. In the interim you could contact Bob Mason at Ilmor 734-456-3600 & he may be able to shed some light on the costs associated w/ the project. Labor is obviously a big unknown & I wouldn't suggest just anyone doing it. Just my $.02!

Last edited by NASCAT; 07-27-2010 at 07:27 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:36 AM
Registered

This project is NOT for the faint hearted or "do it yourselfer" unless you are very organized, multi talented & can stomach seeing your perfectly good paint work & rigging spread out like a 1000pc puzzle

Engine relocation affected header clearance which required new scoops. Bilges were touched up while the engines are out.
Attached Thumbnails Skater 30 / ILMOR Indy Upgrade-assy-required.jpg   Skater 30 / ILMOR Indy Upgrade-bilge-prep.jpg   Skater 30 / ILMOR Indy Upgrade-bilge-prep2.jpg  

Skater 30 / ILMOR Indy Upgrade-hatch-scoops.jpg   Skater 30 / ILMOR Indy Upgrade-hatch-scoops2.jpg  
Old 07-27-2010, 07:47 AM
Registered

I believe I mentioned the fact that my application won't accomodate plug ins & is too tight for a driveline.

Skater custom assembled a flange/flange u-joint which is why engine-drive alignment is so critical.

Port drive is on for good & expect the remainder of the transom to be final assembled by mid week.
Attached Thumbnails Skater 30 / ILMOR Indy Upgrade-custom-u-joint.jpg   Skater 30 / ILMOR Indy Upgrade-u-joint-coupler.jpg   Skater 30 / ILMOR Indy Upgrade-port-indy.jpg  

Old 07-27-2010, 08:58 AM
Registered

NASCAT.....Boat looks great....

R-RATED....Tyler on Trottles = need Indy drive.....

Put 2 Ilmor 625's and Indys in that Fountain....that will make your boat Tyler proof....

Thats was one of the factors we look at...the money you put into a XR, IMCO,or Teague to keep it running, the Indy is worth the small investment...its no differant then the 525/#6 package..other then your almost over 1200lbs lighter and save a chunk of money with the 625's/Indy package....

Congrats on the win....boat ran great...
Old 07-27-2010, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Looks Awesome best of luck!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.