Like Tree8Likes

Baja Boats

Old 10-25-2010, 06:02 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2009 Activator / ILMOR

Owned 3....2 Outlaws and 1 SST
24, 29 and the 33...had hp500's in the 33...and a great ride..
I only had a few spider cracks on the 29...but they repaired it under warrenty....other then that...no problems at all...
For the money...you could not beat it...
Old 10-25-2010, 08:42 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

My Boats: Formula 272 Sold, 26 Infinity, 4 sale, 08-33' Avanti 4SALE

I know a bunch of guys with Baja's. As it was stated pretty much already.. Good boat for the buck. Mass production... OK ride..
You need to evaluate what you want.. and where you want to be...? Do you want to be "just another Baja owner" ? or you want to stand out, ? and have something different.
Where do you boat? On a lake with a few chity chops once in a while? or you out on the Michigan and geting the chit beat out of the boat every time?
I do a lot of Poker Runs, and while my boat is not the fastest in the circuit.. it passes the Bajas and Fountains routinly in big waters. Think about your boating environment, and research the hack out of your purchase.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:41 PM
Registered

My Boats: 30' Scarab CC

it's a respect issue
Old 10-26-2010, 05:51 AM
Registered

My Boats: 1998 BAJA 33 OUTLAW 13ft Whaler with a 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT-Innovator View Post
Since I served a good portion of my working life at Baja Boats, and Baja Marine from 1984 thru 2008 when the company was relocated, maybe I could add to this thread?

I will have to come back to this one later (after a few beers) but keep one thing in mind. How could a company do everything WRONG and own as much as a 40% "Performance Boat market share" (even in 2008) like Baja did for all those years?

XT
Yes please comment on this a little more.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:21 AM
Registered

My Boats: 33 Outlaw

It might not take three years to sell a Baja, Peter.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:50 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

My Boats: Formula 272 Sold, 26 Infinity, 4 sale, 08-33' Avanti 4SALE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullkrusher View Post
It might not take three years to sell a Baja, Peter.
lol. Very good point. No argument. I have nothing against the boats. They are what they designed to be. Good boat for the $, well known, and a bunch of them around. But.. ! with the current boat sales market., I think for about the same $.. better boats can be found.
The thing with my .02 (and that's just my .02) I rather be in something that's a bit more unique, and not just a nother Baja, Fountain, or "just another Bayliner".
Old 10-26-2010, 11:17 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT-Innovator View Post
Since I served a good portion of my working life at Baja Boats, and Baja Marine from 1984 thru 2008 when the company was relocated, maybe I could add to this thread?

I will have to come back to this one later (after a few beers) but keep one thing in mind. How could a company do everything WRONG and own as much as a 40% "Performance Boat market share" (even in 2008) like Baja did for all those years?

XT
XT so would you reccomend a 23,26,30 liner boat to someone? Are you suggesting there were not major issues with this design?
Old 10-26-2010, 05:38 PM
Custom Interiors & More
Platinum Member
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: 184 SS, 180 Islander, 220 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZP'd View Post
XT so would you reccomend a 23,26,30 liner boat to someone? Are you suggesting there were not major issues with this design?
I think that I have avoided the Baja liner issue threads ever since 2008 for a couple reasons. #1 - All salaried employees signed termination contracts to keep your mouths shut on anything related to Baja Marine. #2 - It is not worth the fight.

But, if you want my honest opinion...I think the liners are a much more advanced design than wood stringers that rot. The obvious liners get all the blame for issues in Baja's, but there is a much LESS talked about construction method called "Scrimp" that you can find in some of the Baja brochures. With this method all the layers of construction (except the skin coat) are placed in the hull mold DRY. A plastic liner/material with vacuum lines are put in place, then the resin is sucked into the hull starting in the keel, and sucked all the way to the rub-rail. As new models were developed at Baja with liner designs, they were built using the "Scrimp method" on the hull layup. Without saying too much on the subject, put two and two together. Normal open mold resin is too thick to suck through all those layers, so it is a thinner mix.

All I know is that many other boat builders have built boats with different liner designs that work great!

XT
Old 10-26-2010, 06:27 PM
Warped & Twisted Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: Cigarette Top Gun w/ V6's and Maxum 3000 SCR
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopwr View Post
How do you offshore guys feel about the Baja Boats ....looking at Bajas ...SST and Outlaw and have heard through the grapevine that the boat is of low quaility ???Any thoughts ???
Owned 2 of them prior. Guys that run hard and like to have fun offshore in bigger water will want to be in something other than a Baja. For smaller water like inland lakes, they are fine.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:08 PM
Registered

My Boats: 54' Searay, 31' Rinker, 12' AB Inflatible CC

I owned an ran a 2001 29 Outlaw SST and loved it. it was a great boat. Id own another one in a heartbeat. Ive owned 3 Cigs since then, and im not comparing them to a Baja, But I know Baja gets a bad rap at times. I had a good one.