Like Tree0Likes

Am I seriously crazy?

Old 11-22-2010, 11:35 PM
Skater Brother
Platinum Member

My Boats: 46 Skater,35 Cig, 57 Carver

Buy a boat!!! I didn't know you were without!! If you see an empty seat on my boat jump in it!! I had know idea! Thats about how much I stay on top of things in the boat world!! Buy Gold Digger and have fun!!!!
Old 11-22-2010, 11:42 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2017 Nor-Tech 340

Cash Bar- I grabbed this for you when no one was looking, you should be able to score something in decent condition and low hrs even after Uncle Sam takes his cut!

On a more serious note, not sure what you are in the market for but I assure you if Scott Shogren has it or can put his hands on it he will shoot you straight & treat you right from beginning to end for whatever thats worth.
Attached Thumbnails
Am I seriously crazy?-ml-check.jpg  
Old 11-23-2010, 12:15 AM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

My Boats: 2009 Skater 3212- Mad Props-- 27' Conceot CC t/275VRods

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASCAT View Post
Cash Bar- I grabbed this for you when no one was looking, you should be able to score something in decent condition and low hrs even after Uncle Sam takes his cut!

On a more serious note, not sure what you are in the market for but I assure you if Scott Shogren has it or can put his hands on it he will shoot you straight & treat you right from beginning to end for whatever thats worth.
Gee, thanks for the pic.

I am still not sure how people can cheer for a guy whose greatest feature is NOT being Jeff Gordon.
I can't believe that not one of the 40 other cars had the sack to put him in the wall early. Must have been scared of the Gay Mafia.

BTW- I hear great things about Shogren. Too bad XXX is no longer XXX.

And I hope there is a cut of that for you.

Last edited by Cash Bar; 11-23-2010 at 12:18 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:16 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

My Boats: .......32............. ...............Active Thunder....

There are plenty of good honest people out there in the boat business. After being screwed over as bad as you were, I can see your hesitation.

Performance Boat Brokerage at LOTO is top notch. Brett is as honest and straight forward as they come. He is a man of his word and goes way above and beyond with his customers.
I have only heard great things about Shogren as well.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:04 AM
Registered

My Boats: Dreaming of a 32 AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expensive Date View Post
I am sure that your feelings are shared by many,this industry is its own worst enemy.But you have been around long enough to know who to deal with and who not to.
Ya right, I thought we were around long enough also and look what happened to us
At least we weren't waist deep in debt for it.

It is so sad but the truth is this indursty was started and built by crimnals from the get go
After a resent transaction between a very well known and respected dealer and my best friend I don't trust anyone.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:35 AM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Cash....I too had some dealings with a dealer that worked out of an airport hanger. Felt the same way you feel about most in the marine industry. Only two folks I would ever deal with. Scott Shogren, or David Woods. Both stand up guys, not hustlers or con-men, they just tell you like it is. No pressure.
While I am sure their are others out their doing a great job at selling boats. These, too me are the only ones to deal with, for a smooth hassle free transaction.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:36 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder View Post
Greg, I can't blame you for being gun shy after your experiences. Unfortunately Florida seems to attract a lot of shady characters in this industry. These times call for all the more caution. I think you are doing the right thing by taking your time. There are still some stand up people in the industry that you can deal with I'm sure. You have been around here long enough now to have a pretty good idea who not to deal with. My experience has been mostly good but I've been quietly burned as well. Good luck and don't give up on it.
Bob

FL is a sunny place for shady people!

But on the flip side, guess where most of the scammers arrived from........yep "up north!"
Old 11-23-2010, 07:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expensive Date View Post
I am sure that your feelings are shared by many,this industry is its own worst enemy.But you have been around long enough to know who to deal with and who not to.
That sometimes can be a tough call, makes it worse if you know the person. Unfortunately in this business their are more scam artist, or used car salesmen that will try and get over on someone, it costs funds to represent yourself well, and in the end Karma will come.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:41 AM
Registered

Cash the best bang for the buck right now is Dan K's 35 Motion. That thing probably cost less than your Porsche and it is/was all redone!
Old 11-23-2010, 07:49 AM
Registered

My Boats: 1990 Donzi Sweet 16

First, nobody likes a mooch for too long, so I would rethink that given the number of years you've been doing that.

Cool cars are great and as mentioned above, can be used anytime... so I wouldn't be without one if you can keep at least one and still swing the boat. Besides, if you're like me I like to mix up my hobbies and toys. Too much of any one thing can get boring.

Would I ever buy a new 100k+ boat, no way. Let's forget the super high initial depreciation (which I could never stomach).

These builds take months to build, sometimes longer, and the builders want decent coin up-front and throughout the build. Even in good times, just the thought of trusting a builder with a sh!t-load of my money that theoretically should be going towards my boat would keep me up at night. With these tough economic times and story after story of people getting screwed in the boat industry, there's just no way I could do it. With that said, most new transactions go off without an major hickups. I know there are good builders out there and many are financially secure, but... It's still a big gamble I'm just willing too take!

Personally, I would look at preexisting boats. Not only do you get the instant gratification when you sign the dotted line, but there's a lot less risk of getting MAJORLY [email protected] Yes, buying used you're always talking a gamble, but with a survey you can mitigate that risk and your exposure is still far less than getting completely taken to the cleaners. Not to mention you're not taking a bath on the huge initial depreciation of buying new. It's a buyers market so with the deals out there it leaves cash in your pocket to fix or customize the boat to your likings.

Now if I had the money some of you guys do I suppose I wouldn't be so cautious, but that's not the case.

Just my 2 cents...

Last edited by SS930; 11-23-2010 at 07:52 AM.