Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Booze and Boats - Is the Marraige on the Rocks? >

Booze and Boats - Is the Marraige on the Rocks?

Notices

Booze and Boats - Is the Marraige on the Rocks?

Old 01-09-2011, 10:18 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

I don't drink and drive anything. Especially because I would like to keep my master captains license and CDL. I will drink back at the dock. Others are welcome to drink on our boat, especially my Girlfriend! But I always appreciate common sense used.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:22 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by On Time
New article in Performance Boats Magazine Jan 2011 issue. Excellent article, excellent examples given, and excellent point. I was almost hit by a drunk boater at full speed in Lake Travis at 11:00 PM while anchored with my wife enjoying the evening. YES the anchor lights were on. I had to power up and drag anchor to get out of his way. The behavior I see at times is atrocious and this article should be read by each and every member of OSO. As an owner of three boats I never drive drunk because I don't ever drink while boating. My crew may, but not me.

You comments please.
Drinking and driving is bad enough (obviously depending on the person because alcohol affects everyone different and the people it affects the worst wont admit it). But driving at high speed at night, especially drinking, is a whole new issue to talk about! Anchor lights and bow and stern lights are great, but they blend in with lights on shore, bouy lights, etc. So speed and night don't mix, especially when alcohol, drugs, or to many hot bikinis are on the boat to distract the captain! LOL!
Old 01-09-2011, 10:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bud Select 55 and MGD 64 have about half the alcohol of regular beer.Your body will metabolize it a lot faster. Does'nt taste too bad.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:26 PM
Registered

Received 589 Likes on 240 Posts

I am no way justifying any drinking if you are going to be running a 60 to 170 mph boat, and i guess these days most guys have at least a 80 mph boat and a little liquid courage can be very detrimental to someones actual ability and judgement .

SOOOO I Put my foot in my mouth.

I guess I do so much normal speed boating these days that I forget there are guys running around at 80 or better also.

Just don't see it that much on the Gulf here where i live so it is not a huge worry.

I can definitely see these guys anchoring up in a cove for the afternoon and poundin drinks or beer and getting all fired up after leaving. Not me .

When i was 16 i bought a 1969 roadrunner 383 automatic and over the winter i found another 69 rustbucket with a 44o and 4 speed pistol grip. I by myself while working and going to school stripped that car down during the winter and rebuilt painted installed and modified all the drive train.

So come Friday night and there was a good school party to go to I was driving my beater pickup . everybody was like wheres the car .I would say at home where i will find it tomorrow instead of wrapped around a tree because my dumb ass got a little liquid courage going ,

Thats another 2 cents . You can get a refund if you fill out and send a request for full refund . Allow 2 to 3 working years for refund.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:38 PM
Registered

Received 589 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by On Time
I am glad this thread generated interest. It should. I am not advocating loss of freedom of choice. But read the article about the 16 year old girl that was tubing behind the pontoon boat with parents and family and was killed by a drunk jet skier at blood level .27 and hopefully it will influence the choices that will be made this coming season.

This is a perfect assumption of how all Drinkers are.

This is the rule now. Punish all for the few.

So one newbie in a over powered small boat flips and kills himself and his buddy and now we should regulate all boats.

There should be a law now.

Lets say 10 Hp for every foot. That sounds fair Huh ?

I mean 10 Hp per a foot will keep all performance boats in that 50 to 55 mph range.

Sound Safe?

All Vote

How many Aiys we have. Bill passes by the majority. AHHHH

SAfe hi-Performance boating finally.

Everybody Happy..
Old 01-09-2011, 11:06 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Drinking and driving around where we live will get you thrown in jail so quick your head will spin faster than your boat !!!
Between The Coast Guard, O.D.N.R., Vermilion Police Boat and Now The County Sherrif's in two counties patroling ; Cant take a chance!!And now The Boarder Patrol has a new boat that looks just like the Coasties but has three or four out boards on it ..... Probaby runs pretty good too. Not worth drinking.

Jim
Old 01-10-2011, 08:16 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by tommymonza
I am no way justifying any drinking if you are going to be running a 60 to 170 mph boat, and i guess these days most guys have at least a 80 mph boat and a little liquid courage can be very detrimental to someones actual ability and judgement .

SOOOO I Put my foot in my mouth.

I guess I do so much normal speed boating these days that I forget there are guys running around at 80 or better also.

Just don't see it that much on the Gulf here where i live so it is not a huge worry.

I can definitely see these guys anchoring up in a cove for the afternoon and poundin drinks or beer and getting all fired up after leaving. Not me .

When i was 16 i bought a 1969 roadrunner 383 automatic and over the winter i found another 69 rustbucket with a 44o and 4 speed pistol grip. I by myself while working and going to school stripped that car down during the winter and rebuilt painted installed and modified all the drive train.

So come Friday night and there was a good school party to go to I was driving my beater pickup . everybody was like wheres the car .I would say at home where i will find it tomorrow instead of wrapped around a tree because my dumb ass got a little liquid courage going ,

Thats another 2 cents . You can get a refund if you fill out and send a request for full refund . Allow 2 to 3 working years for refund.
Originally Posted by tommymonza
This is a perfect assumption of how all Drinkers are.

This is the rule now. Punish all for the few.

So one newbie in a over powered small boat flips and kills himself and his buddy and now we should regulate all boats.

There should be a law now.

Lets say 10 Hp for every foot. That sounds fair Huh ?

I mean 10 Hp per a foot will keep all performance boats in that 50 to 55 mph range.

Sound Safe?

All Vote

How many Aiys we have. Bill passes by the majority. AHHHH

SAfe hi-Performance boating finally.

Everybody Happy..
It looks to me like Tommy may have been doing a little drinkin and postin last night!!
Old 01-10-2011, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

I've always felt the most unsafe place on the water is exiting a party cove on a Saturday/Sunday evening. Lots of drunks acting like offshore racers heading back to the docks.
ed
Old 01-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having to drink to enjoy yourself, on the water of all places... now, thats pathetic.

How's that for a first post?
Old 01-10-2011, 03:04 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I will drink when I am out. All of my friends who are boaters will as well. Nobody gets "drunk" but a beer or two while hanging out or a cocktail with lunch if we run somewhere. I see no problem with that at all. I don't have to drink to have a good time, but I usually have a good time when I am drinking. It just seems to go that way.

Now, as far as staying at a bar all night, having to much, then trying to navigate, especially at high speed....no thank you!!!

It is hard enough at night as it is in some places. I boat the northern chesapeake which can be a challenge at night. Channels are well marked in the bay but as soon as you turn off into any of the many many "rivers" coming off of the bay all channels are marked but none are marked with lighted buoys.

So, I think having a drink....same as when in my truck, no big deal. Hammered pushing the throttle on the big blocks....horrible idea!!!

Last edited by Baja226sport; 01-10-2011 at 03:07 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.