Notices

Best marine audio system?

Old 05-12-2011, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Lee
Thanks for the feeback. Any opinion on Pioneer? I know theyre solid in auto and I know they make a marine speaker too. Money is not a huge issue, I just dont want to pay for a Ferrari when a Corvette will do. So far, everyone speaks like JL is the one to have.
AudioFN recommended some DC Gold speakers for my boat last week and I ordered them WEBSITE HERE. I have not hooked them up yet, but here is what I can tell you so far:

1) The build quality is awesome.
2) They are made in the USA (Palmdale CA).
3) Three year warranty

I bought 3 pairs of 6x9 and 1 pair 6.5. I was STUNNED that they were made in the USA. I really was! I didn't know that when I ordered them, but really happy about that little detail. One other thing......when I read the warranty statement it said that when used in salt water, they want you to remove the speaker every six months and emerce the whole speaker in fresh water (I think it said distilled water) to remove salt build-up. I thought that was pretty funny.

Last edited by PhantomChaos; 05-12-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:51 PM
Registered

Well if money is not an issue then get the best head, amps and speakers you can.

I can tell you Boss is not high end, and Pyle is basically another name for Pyramid and thats the crap you buy at flea markets.

JL seems to have made a really good name for it's self. Personally there are alot of brands out there that sound better for equal or less money. Their subs sound muddy to me.

The thing you want to do is keep all the mid/hi speakers the same. If you use different brands you will get cancellations that will not sound good. Another thing is to make sure you have the proper power for the speakers. Mid/hi speakers should have atleast the RMS power of the speaker, 25% more than the RMS is better. For the subs I always reccomend an amp that is 30 - 50% more power than the subs RMS rating. Headroom in the amps gives cleaner sound, cooler running amps and power for those peaks. To little power blows speaker much easier than too much power.

Also when looking at subs just because they say they handle 1000 watts does not mean they are the best speaker. It just means it's gonna take alot of power to get sound out of them.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:28 AM
Registered

"Just remember...theres always someone that has a deeper pocket"

Boy isn't that the truth, LOL
Old 05-13-2011, 12:47 AM
Registered

www.wetsounds.com
Old 05-13-2011, 07:33 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Nightlife's recomendations are right on the money!

I can tell you this having worked in the 12V industry for about 20 years now, that JL is one of the best brands out there especially on their speakers, that is what they are known for.

As far as Pyle and Boss are concerned, don't want to rub anyone the wrong way here but they are both flea market price sensitive brands, meaning that before the unit is designed the price point is set first with about 100~150% markup.

If you stick to the better names in the buisness, on paper they may seem that impressive compared to say boss but in actual use they will perform better accross the board.

Jl as mentioned earlier, as well as
Rockford makes some very high end marine products,
Memphis which is a bit more affordable
Kicker also has a good line of marine
Alpine also makes good stuff especially the marine head units
Kenwood If someone wants something a bit more on a working mans budget but still get a quality item

My 2¢
Old 05-13-2011, 08:06 AM
Registered

Thanks Mike. Good info & feedback.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:58 AM
Registered

Take a look at Memphis audio,great sounding with fair priceing
Old 05-13-2011, 09:09 AM
Registered

I've got 4 10" JL subs and Rockford Fosgat separates (22 speakers total). The JLs don't hit like I thought they would, but I love the Fosgates. Alpines marine stuff has been recommended highly to me.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:11 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speaking of Ferrari,

Ive been very happy with my Audison amplifier and Hertz speaker combos.

Made in Italy.

Not cheap but very clear and powerful.

Uncle Dave
Old 05-13-2011, 10:43 AM
Registered

I went with all Fusion speakers and deck on my new boat. 4x7" and 2x10". Very LOUD and Clear. Running all six off of an Alpine 5 channel amp. I have less than $1k in the whole setup. Sounds way better than the JL's I did in the past.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.