Notices

Best marine audio system?

Old 05-13-2011, 03:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just added the new Alpine PDX-F6 amp and tied it into 4 Polk 691MM speakers (6x9's). Sound is crazy loud and clean. Amp is all digital and requires little or no cooling so you can keep it in a dry place. No fans in it to get water into. The Polk speakers are marine cert. The digital amp also has a small footprint for easy mounting and uses less power so when you are on the beach it does not drain your battery.
+1 on the new Alpine amp. Have had many and this one is the best. Check out the spec's I think you will be impressed.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another vote for Wetsounds at least for the speakers. I've had the XS650's for in-boat and both Pro80's and MB8's all are great speakers but I don't imagine you'd need anything other than the XS650's.

As for head units if it's going to be up on deck it really should be marine since it's going to get wet, I personally like the Kenwood units because they were one of the only ones I could find with 4 volt pre-outs for the amps.

For subs, it's a toss up as there are many different routes depending on how much power you're planning to throw at them, just make sure you don't end up with anything tha thas a paper cone. If you look at the speaker and aren't sure you could spray it with a hose (not that you'd ever want to) go to a different speaker.

For amps I've had may fair share and didn't like the JL (started losing channels at 8 months), didn't like Boston Acoustic (sounded great but died after a year due to corrosion), etc etc. So far I like Hifonics the best, they're not considered a "high end" amp but I'm hear to tell you they're cheap, put out a ton of power, and so far have been indestructible (3 seasons of abuse in a saltwater environment) I've heard good things about the alpine PDX series for me I was just worried about them not putting out enough power and the hifonics never died so no reason to try them.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rob Lee
Thanks for the feeback. Any opinion on Pioneer? I know theyre solid in auto and I know they make a marine speaker too. Money is not a huge issue, I just dont want to pay for a Ferrari when a Corvette will do. So far, everyone speaks like JL is the one to have.
Kenwood deck with Memphis Audio everything else! There equipment sounds great!
Old 05-13-2011, 10:35 PM
Registered

If you really want to wake up a system, go tri amped.

One amp for tweeters, one for mids, one for subs. Then an electronic crossover to run it.

My system is 4 1.5" tweeters, 4 6.5" mids and 3 12" subs. I have Autotek amps powering the system with a G&S crossover. Powerbase mid's and highs. With Rockford P-1 subs.

Although not a large system, anyone that has heard it will tell you it rocks. Other then the Autoteks and Rockford Head unit, nothing is real high end.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:17 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,811 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
AudioFN recommended some DC Gold speakers for my boat last week and I ordered them WEBSITE HERE. I have not hooked them up yet, but here is what I can tell you so far:

1) The build quality is awesome.
2) They are made in the USA (Palmdale CA).
3) Three year warranty

I bought 3 pairs of 6x9 and 1 pair 6.5. I was STUNNED that they were made in the USA. I really was! I didn't know that when I ordered them, but really happy about that little detail. One other thing......when I read the warranty statement it said that when used in salt water, they want you to remove the speaker every six months and emerce the whole speaker in fresh water (I think it said distilled water) to remove salt build-up. I thought that was pretty funny.
DC Golds are great speakers. Very loud, crystal clear and nearly indestructable. They also have the best warranty out there at 3 years. I had Babbs in my Pantera and now have DC Golds in my AT. I actually just installed the 8 ohm DC Golds in the walls and ceiling in my basement for my home theater.

BTW, the lowest price I have found is at one of their authorized dealers www.LafayetteRadio.com
Old 05-14-2011, 01:42 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mlb75
Another vote for Wetsounds at least for the speakers. I've had the XS650's for in-boat and both Pro80's and MB8's all are great speakers but I don't imagine you'd need anything other than the XS650's.
The XS-650's have some killer midbass if they're powered right.

I've got a used 3-Some and Syn6 6-channel 1000W amp for sale if anyone with a wakeboat is in the market. The 3-Some has a pair of Pro80's (each can has an 8" woofer and HLCD), and a single Pro485 (2 8's and 1 HLCD).

http://www.wakeworld.com/classifield....php?view=1738
Old 05-14-2011, 03:31 AM
Registered

Default How do i start........

So many directions to go in, this post is like beer, do you want
ale or lager, can or bottle, golden or dark, domestic or import....im a big supporter of JL Audio, but Pioneer Premium really packs a punch MB quart is nice as is polk audio....not sure if your looking for bass, clarity or symphony sounds but shop around and ear test at audio shops. In the audio business name brands mean nothing if you dont hear the sound you are looking for and be sure to mention marine grade as it applys to some pieces of equipment.....but buyer beware they will sell you as much stuff as your money can buy, and some stuff ends up being over kill. Some shops will sell you the a$$h0le of a rattle snake then swear to you a bout its dynamic rattling sound.....hope this helps

FYI I only drink 2 kinds of beer, FREE beer & COLD beer
Old 05-14-2011, 06:09 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Lee
Best marine audio system?
That is close to the best I have found...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COMFZbNE-8U[/YOUTUBE]
Old 05-14-2011, 11:56 AM
Registered

Post Up Some Pics, I Would Like To See What Some Of You Have Done With The Sound Systems On Your Boats.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by gsxrmike
The main reason for buying Marine audio is first and fore most whether or not you will be around salt water, if so Marine is the only way to go!

Car audio will work generally speaking but some components will rust a bit usually not detrimental to the functionality though. Some speakers if exposed to constant humidity changes will slowly begin to change the tonal quality of the speaker.

Myself I did use marine speakers in mine for a couple of reasons. The big one was they were white and matches my boat. The other is the grills are molded into the speaker, so I will never have to worry about them popping off. Car stuff the grills are rarely used in modern vehicles so the grills are more about style on display than actual function! the last consideration is the fact that the plastic has UV inhibitors in the plastic, so they should not fade in color over time. Some car products may have a certain resistance to UV but generally speaking they do not. UV exposure again will change the sound of a speaker as well!

That being said if you are in a fresh water environment you could fully use standard mobile audio products and get good use out of them. For not much more money the above reasons may be enough to justify the price difference between the marine offering.

As far as amps go nothing is waterproof except maybe either Kicker Alpine or Memphis I forget which ones claim they coat the circuit boards and are water resistant. But depending on mounting this is lesser of an issue IMO.

Head units again kind of the same thing although some head units are actually water resistant (not submersable)

Since most companies offer 1 line of marine product, depending on brand it will usually out perform the same brands standard offering, as they realize some people are going to expect results similar to the high end offering so they try to make them as close as they can to their best stuff within reason without pricing themselves out of the market. With exception of maybe JL or Fosgate as their marine is pricey but also better than most other products high end car offering. Other products like Kenwood or Memphis, still a quality product but less of a no comprimise offering that may pay better attention to a budget minded buyer.

Took these off the boat yesterday. They were put in at the same time, and were basically in the same location. One is a marine speaker and one is not. Can you tell which is which? Also, this boat was only in fresh water until 2005 (if you can call the Mississippi fresh water).
Attached Thumbnails Best marine audio system?-dsc_5469.jpg   Best marine audio system?-dsc_5470.jpg   Best marine audio system?-dsc_5428.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.