Like Tree0Likes

GPS data behind the "My Way" shootout runs.

Reply
Old 09-02-2011, 11:24 AM
  #21
Registered
 
Airpacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Aurora Ontario
My Boats: little cat...BIG MOTOR
Posts: 4,008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 1 View Post
The boats are built from material that is invisible to radar,so using that system is a bit of a joke you can never expect a good reading,Laser beams would be one option.
yep, LIDAR would work
Airpacker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:27 AM
  #22
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NY
Posts: 258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airpacker View Post
yep, LIDAR would work
Is that anything like "LIE-DAR"?

That's what most guys I know use to measure their speed.
cubicinches is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:37 AM
  #23
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: nashville, tn
My Boats: 2001 fountain 35' lightning
Posts: 263
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airpacker View Post
1) I would sure as hell hope that YOU are the only thing on the course when YOU are running over 200mph.
2) set the lights too high for the fish. It works in drag boat racing and has for decades.
3) Computer timing systems post speed and ET in milliseconds. I think the spectators could wait that long.
4) Not too likely there would be calculation errors.
Drag boat racing is done in creeks were the water is not a 3/4 mile wide. Drag boat racing also uses poles driven into the ground for the beams to set on. If I am not mistaken this particular area is about 64' deep making that a little impractical.
Lets face it, this is an event for charity. It does nat make any difference wether MYWAY speed was 208 or 217, it was clearly the fast boat there and he was awarded the same as he would have been if they had recorded 217. If the top speed is important to the owner go out and show us on GPS.
Allen
29scarab10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:41 AM
  #24
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: nashville, tn
My Boats: 2001 fountain 35' lightning
Posts: 263
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 1 View Post
The boats are built from material that is invisible to radar,so using that system is a bit of a joke you can never expect a good reading,Laser beams would be one option.
MYWAY was aware of this problem when the boat was in the dock before they drivers meeting Saturday morning. On the front port side sponson he had a device bolted thru one of the hatches in which I assumed was for the rader to pick up.Maybe this device was to small and is why the rader gun did not pick up 2 of his runs. Other dealt with the problem in other ways for example Eddie Young and Bruce Gibson covered the noise of there boat in a metal tape.
Allen
29scarab10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:42 AM
  #25
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Steve 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Beautiful Fort Lauderdale www.cheetahcat.com
My Boats: Slippery when wet!
Posts: 10,833
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29scarab10 View Post
Drag boat racing is done in creeks were the water is not a 3/4 mile wide. Drag boat racing also uses poles driven into the ground for the beams to set on. If I am not mistaken this particular area is about 64' deep making that a little impractical.
Lets face it, this is an event for charity. It does nat make any difference wether MYWAY speed was 208 or 217, it was clearly the fast boat there and he was awarded the same as he would have been if they had recorded 217. If the top speed is important to the owner go out and show us on GPS.
Allen
Does not matter cops do not have poles "driven into the ground" and measure your speed just fine.
Steve 1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:43 AM
  #26
Registered
 
FunHome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Kansas & LOTO
My Boats: 28ft Saber, 22 Velocity
Posts: 2,648
Default

It seems a Laser Speed Detector Mfg. would see this as a opportunity to showcase their equipment...
FunHome is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:53 AM
  #27
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: nashville, tn
My Boats: 2001 fountain 35' lightning
Posts: 263
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 1 View Post
Does not matter cops do not have poles "driven into the ground" and measure your speed just fine.
In my area cops do not use beams for timing equipment. They use rader or laser.
29scarab10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:56 AM
  #28
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: nashville, tn
My Boats: 2001 fountain 35' lightning
Posts: 263
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunHome View Post
It seems a Laser Speed Detector Mfg. would see this as a opportunity to showcase their equipment...
You ever notice cops using lasers hold it real close to there eyes. They are doing this aiming this device. They way it was done at the shoouout no one was on the boom lift. the rader guns are fixed mounted and have a display remotely mounted making sure that human error was not in the equation.
29scarab10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:03 PM
  #29
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Charleston, il
My Boats: 1988 formula 311 sr-1
Posts: 631
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29scarab10 View Post
You ever notice cops using lasers hold it real close to there eyes. They are doing this aiming this device. They way it was done at the shoouout no one was on the boom lift. the rader guns are fixed mounted and have a display remotely mounted making sure that human error was not in the equation.
Just had the argument about radar accuracy with my best friend (local cop). They just had the latest Stalker system installed in one of their squads. His only comment was that the new stalker system that is permanently mounted in the squad car is much more accurate then models before. It interfaces with the vehicles powertrain control module to pick up vehicle speed. So my argument to him was that if they are running either low or worn tires wouldn't that affect the accuracy.... I think so! Let's face it, lights are way faster than sound (radar.)
TylerBurich is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:03 PM
  #30
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Wichita, KS
My Boats: 1989 Chaparral Villain III
Posts: 476
Default

They could use a vbox ( http://www.vboxusa.com/products.php ) with the optional remote hard mounted signal base to boost accuracy. Also, could use telemetry so judges could see data realtime and download remotely.

I've used them and they are pretty darn accurate.
ECeptor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:42 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.