Notices

Warpaint Crash Pics

Old 11-15-2011, 04:59 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW ! Awesome that Danny will be OK & great pics Nikon

ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-15-2011, 06:41 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by BUIZILLA
Carl, the bodies were still warm when you started your rant, the event is over now... besides, my question revolves around the windshield integrity not the canopy construciton itself..

I stand by what I said AT THAT TIME
I think you are a hypocrite and "instigator" is very fitting under your user name. And why talk about it now since in your words "the general internet public won't know the answer". BTW, obviously the windshield is part of the canopy. sheeesh....

Last edited by thirdchildhood; 11-15-2011 at 06:47 AM.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:32 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Participant speaks

http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/lo...victim-speaks/
Old 11-15-2011, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nobody has addressed the fact that in all instances the plexi/lexan/whatever/ windscreens imploded on impact,,, the resulting incoming water pressure and volume THEN tore the canopy away from the supports

you don't see aircraft windshields doing this when they hit rain at 400-500 mph....

which begs the question, what thickness or mil rating is the clear glass/plastic/lexan/whatever?
looking at the pic i think its a little more than rain.
But yes, it should definitely be in one piece after that "little" incident.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:24 AM
instigator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Fredrik Z
looking at the pic i think its a little more than rain.
But yes, it should definitely be in one piece after that "little" incident.
I spent several years as an aircraft mechanic at MIA, and worked flightline damage repairs daily, and 3 or 4 direct runway crashes, I never saw a windscreen that *tore* away like these did, we did have heavy hail and bird damage, but not a *tear* situation...

I have seen bird's enter helicopter cockpits at low velocity though...

I guess my basic simple question is > does the current offshore sanction bodies have a windscreen spec for thickness/composition/material for open or enclosed cockpits?
Old 11-15-2011, 08:42 AM
Registered

I guess my basic simple question is > does the current offshore sanction bodies have a windscreen spec for thickness/composition/material for open or enclosed cockpits?
I know UIM does. (9.5mm for a side by side canopy.) But key west wsnt a APBA-UIM race?
Old 11-15-2011, 08:42 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

I spent several years as an aircraft mechanic at MIA, and worked flightline damage repairs daily, and 3 or 4 direct runway crashes, I never saw a windscreen that *tore* away like these did, we did have heavy hail and bird damage, but not a *tear* situation...

I have seen bird's enter helicopter cockpits at low velocity though...

"Take your question direct to Skater. The general internet public won't know the answer."
Old 11-15-2011, 08:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Gripenland
The HANS device was invented to prevent basilar scull fractures. A fracture that occurred in formula cars, high G accidents, with a very reclined seating position and heavy full face helmets. Conditions that put a lot of strain on the base of the scull.

Offshore powerboat accidents are usually moderate G accidents, upright seating, and lighter helmets.

Are basilar skull fractures a common problem in offshore racing? If so, HANS or other head and neck restrains should be adopted by as many as possible.
If not, the risk of the HANS getting stuck when evacuating should be considered.

Just my 2 cents.
The Stuffs are plus violent rollovers are high G impacts up to 25G was measured for example at Casiraghis crash.

Yes they are somewhat common. Bobby Saccenti had one for example in the Apache cat back in the day.
Do not recall the death causes of Mark Lavin and Stefano Casiraghi but wouldn' t count it out.

Theres little risk in a Hans getting stuck when evacuating IMO. It hasn't been a risk in racecars either where fire is always a threat. Once you get used to wearing it you do not even notice it racing.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:10 AM
Registered

Default Getting offtopic.

Reply moved here

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ml#post3550087

Last edited by MikeyFIN; 11-15-2011 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Reply moved
Old 11-15-2011, 09:12 AM
Registered

There are many organisations and there fore many specs:
Here are a few:

WPPA Class 1 and X-cat: Polycarbonate min 12 mm
UIM 3C: Polycarbonate or similar, tandem min 7.9 mm side-by-side min 9.5 mm
LUCAS OIL DRAG BOAT RACING SERIES: Polycarbonate min 0.5" before hot forming

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.