Notices

Turbo vs Supercharger

Old 12-23-2013, 10:43 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Whipple Charged
You have some good points here, but I disagree with just a few items. What Mercury Racing did is incredible and I'm always the first to say, job well done. But, turbo motors in OEM and in many other applications have been proven to get poor mileage once the customers get them. If you go off OEM and CARB driving cycles, they look great. But the fact is, there just awful on gas engines for mid to heavy vehicles or vessels with variable loads. Do a search on the F150 Ecoboost engine, 3.5L turbo charged. While its claimed to have excellent mileage, almost nobody is happy with the mileage. In fact, the 5.0L, NA gets significantly better and the supercharged 5.0L (aftermarket) gets identical highway mileage as the Ecoboost, but 2-3mpg better in the city, with significantly more power across the board. The turbo engine is just always in boost where the supercharged engine rarely goes over 1-2 psi in any normal driving cycle. In fact you can cruise at 90mph, 6th gear at 5" of vacuum. While that's not apples for apples, its a nice example.

As for boost all the time? Do you know how much boost the 1350's run at lower RPM to get the boats on plane, cruise and accelerate? 28psi. Does that sound like low boost? How about the 1650, 40psi! While that's not needed for all boats, it shows what has to be done with that setup to meet the torque curve they wanted, which is certainly impressive. But, do you know how much power can be made with a supercharger at that boost level?

So the harder on the engine theory is not really accurate. What major advantage the turbo has is that they don't typically require as an aggressive camshafts. Therefore, valve train life can be extended in theory. But turbo's always have higher exhaust temps, especially with backpressure. The high temps is no friend to engine components and exhaust. But Mercury's extended life on the 1350's is due to the overhead cam cylinder heads, not the turbos. I think we all know the benefits of the DOHC concept, smaller, mild camshafts and basic valve train.

It really doesn't matter what engine you have, if you have a 12,000lb boat running 100mph, it takes a certain amount of power to go a certain speed. Therefore, its about engine efficiency at that point, something the superchargers (modern SC's) do quite well. Turbo's really shine at very high boost levels, 20+psi. But because the turbo's are water cooled, they lose significant energy, thus lower efficiency. If anyone actually thinks that we can't supercharge the 1350 long block and make the exact same power with same reliability is extremely in accurate. Of course, cams would ideally be changed to open the exhaust valve some, but 1350 is easily attainable. Also, to note, if you've ever been in a boat with 1.21 gears with 40 pitch props, the amount of torque required at 1500rpm is extremely significant.
Dustin, obviously you know tons more than me. I could be flat wrong, but when I mentioned increased engine wear, I should have really said valve train due to the uneven pressure on intake vs exhaust. I agree 100% that the turbo marketing on OEM cars is a sham. Basically you can have either more power or more mpg, but not both. OEM mpg ratings that show increased gas mileage are done out of boost. Many ecoboost owners have confirmed exactly what you said. I had no idea the 1350/1650 packages ran that much boost to get on plane. 28lbs is a ton in any application, and 40 is kind of nuts! I did note the EGT management being an issue and the cam profile as being slight turbo advantage. In my opinion, it seems that turbo and SC apps are often very close and as usual, the use seems to dictate which to use.

Is there any truth to the idea of big blowers not liking the rapid on/off acceleration?
Old 12-23-2013, 04:20 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

More inertia is something everyone has to deal with but I don't know of any problems out there with moment of inertia based issues. I do agree with valve train being strained a touch more, but the pressure equalization is very minute in engine life study. The massive EGT and excessive back pressure on the exhaust valve/spring/rocker has its own issue. But the DOHC is by far the biggest advantage for this market. That's a game changer for sure.

As for boost, they run a bunch, but they ran more on the 1075 then most had ever done so there's no question they've done there homework. Mercury really want far in proving they could make low end torque so they run a pile of boost down low at WOT. The only way you can make 1350trq at 2500rpm is massive cubic inch, nitrous or boost
Old 12-23-2013, 05:54 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

The only way you can make 1350trq at 2500rpm is massive cubic inch, nitrous or boost
Dustin,

What do you feel is Massive Cubic Inch?

Thanks
Jon
Old 12-23-2013, 07:18 PM
Registered

Received 446 Likes on 244 Posts

lets post some boost numbers of various sports i know many tractor pullers running way north of 300 pounds with compounding i know nitro in NHRA runs 50-60pounds alky runs much more but i not sure of the number artic cat 660 ran 24pounds yanmar marine diesel 60psi
Old 12-23-2013, 09:29 PM
Registered

Received 568 Likes on 340 Posts

Those are some extreme boost numbers, I'd like to see the dyno data if you have it Dustin.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boostbros
Ok i,ll bite here and jump off the nice nice bit i go to a poker run to see big blowers vibrating the dock and blower rolling now its called old school but thats what i want to see and hear we walk right by the shiny, looks like it belongs under the hood of a toyota, purring while idling mercs as they make martinis in cockpits so big a leather couch for a back seat might be more approiate! i want to see the ratty old V bottom with big cube,s with massive blowers and carbs big enough to run an aircraft carrier! anyone here remember the engines in sorcerior? or the echo of inxs as it went by? any one here ever play reggies 177 speed run thru a big sound system? i want the hair on the neck to stand up! I don,t want civil in a bad ass boat i want to always know were playing with fire! Old school maybe but rat rods are the rage these days. Now for a bit of fun if Duck dynasity goes poker running what boat can you picture Si in?
Im with you !, just reading this makes hair stand up on my neck
BIG POWER !
Old 12-24-2013, 12:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cougarman
Dustin,

What do you feel is Massive Cubic Inch?

Thanks
Jon
Sorry, that may have been to general. In my head, I always associate 5" bore spacing or larger as "massive" LOL. The Goodwin Competition motors, which I feel are the best motors to date (for marine) when money is not an issue, are conservatively built to 650ci. They made 1850hp on 87 octane and idle at 1000rpm and currently have one season on them. I think we will see some more of these soon, they are quite incredible.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by boostbros
lets post some boost numbers of various sports i know many tractor pullers running way north of 300 pounds with compounding i know nitro in NHRA runs 50-60pounds alky runs much more but i not sure of the number artic cat 660 ran 24pounds yanmar marine diesel 60psi
There are quite a few alky's in pro-mod running around 65psi. We built the 10.5 and 12 liter SC's for 70-80psi which requires a lot of methanol in the right places to control material growth.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry, that may have been to general. In my head, I always associate 5" bore spacing or larger as "massive" LOL. The Goodwin Competition motors, which I feel are the best motors to date (for marine) when money is not an issue, are conservatively built to 650ci. They made 1850hp on 87 octane and idle at 1000rpm and currently have one season on them. I think we will see some more of these soon, they are quite incredible.
Todd has his chit together. His hemi style heads are incredible and pretty much own the pulling market.
Old 12-24-2013, 04:20 PM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts

So what is the cost of one? Lol... And what boat are they in? How's the maintence on them?

Oh and where is Goodwin located? West coast correct?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.