Like Tree0Likes

Its over..... "The common man"

Reply
Old 02-22-2012, 08:22 PM
  #61
Registered User
Gold Member
 
bcfountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: prince george,va
My Boats: 27fountain/04waverunner/10meter
Posts: 1,476
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1 Fountain View Post
Your common (man) boater doesn't even know about OSO.
Your common (man) boater doesn't even know about the Miami boat show.
bcfountain is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:29 PM
  #62
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lk. st. Clair MI
My Boats: 33 POWERPLAY
Posts: 4,498
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1 Fountain View Post
Your common (man) boater doesn't even know about OSO.
Your common (man) boater doesn't even know about the Miami boat show.
So true! I think out of the people I usually am with it's a 20-1 ratio. All know about OSO but don't want the B.S. associated with it...
POWERPLAY J is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:53 PM
  #63
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Tonawanda NY
My Boats: 1994 Formula 303 SR1 "Facets"
Posts: 3,998
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J View Post
I believe the point of this thread is that boating in general has become so expensive the average person can no longer afford a new boat. Go back 10 yrs or so and you could buy a 22 Scarab new for 37k, or a 25 Sunsation for 42k both with big blocks and on trailer, a 28 Sun was still less than 70k, you could even get a 32 Sun for a little over 80k. Ffw and the same exact boat is near double the $ brand new and the average persons wages did not double in that time span. There are many places to place blame. Merc builds great products but as stated in a previous post the cost is absurd! The cost of raw materials (derrived from petroleum) and not to mention the EPA rules are absurd not to mention the liability insurance for the mfgrs. Now add in the banks not wanting to take on the risk of an average person putting 10-15% down and financing a toy for a reasonable rate. Sure you can blame the mfgrs but the cost is not in their hands. The employees don't make squat. They are in the biz to sell boats. The cheaper they can build the more they sell period! Now add in the cost of a new truck to tow with, that $ has gone up almost at the same rate of a boat. I actually get angry with this subject because I like to take people out and have them experience what it is like to be on a boat. Then they find out the cost (not including fuel) and are wowed. I am a long time member of Boats US, they continually write about getting people into this hobby, past time, way of life (however you want to phrase it) and unfortunately it IS out of reach for the average joe. Makes you wonder about 10yrs from now... Sorry for my rant, I am off the soapbox now. Carry on...
Bingo, thank you!
88242LS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:26 AM
  #64
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: oshawa ontario
My Boats: 31 Scarab Thunder
Posts: 4,699
Default

As stated above I think the outrageous cost of Mercury eng/drives has contributed greatly to the end of the common man entry level perf boat.....wish there was more of an effort towards non Mercury eng/drive packages....volvo tried but when your trying to oust the king dont try it with dual prop/ strange set ups....if it was me Id design something that used Merc props....make it easy to like.
pullmytrigger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:21 PM
  #65
Registered
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tulsa, OK
My Boats: 96 LipShip Gun
Posts: 268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullmytrigger View Post
As stated above I think the outrageous cost of Mercury eng/drives has contributed greatly to the end of the common man entry level perf boat.....wish there was more of an effort towards non Mercury eng/drive packages....volvo tried but when your trying to oust the king dont try it with dual prop/ strange set ups....if it was me Id design something that used Merc props....make it easy to like.
Funny you mention that. Last week, I was talking with a coworker (former Merc employee) about the Merc Racing line and somehow we got to talking about why the Volvo DPX's didnt last. I didnt realize that they used the duo prop drive with that engine. His comment was that the HP was there to match the Merc power but, without the power adder, the low-end TQ just wasnt the same. He also mentioned how marketing and the lack of aftermarket support may have been a factor there as well.

Last edited by VortechSS; 02-23-2012 at 12:25 PM.
VortechSS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:30 PM
  #66
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lk. st. Clair MI
My Boats: 33 POWERPLAY
Posts: 4,498
Default

I was watching a pawn show. They featured an airboat built in 95, said it cost 15k new. Their "expert" calimed the same boat built today would be 47k. Perfect example of jaw dropping WTF???
POWERPLAY J is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:18 AM
  #67
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Newbury Park, CA
Posts: 1,425
Default

The entry level performance boat market is COMPLETELY DEAD.

I know. I've looked. Everywhere.

The entry level boats are gone. They were around until the early 90's, and then all the builders started upsizing, and discontinuing their smaller boats.

To put this in perspective, in 1989, you could buy a 95 mph Hondo flat bottom V-drive for $15,000. That included a 454 with a tunnel ram with dual quads, and the most expensive drive system at the time, a V-drive (not a cheap jet pump or outdrive that falls apart the first time you drop the throttle from a stop). It included chrome over transom exhaust, anodized aluminum pieces, cavitation plate, nice paint, dual axle trailer, and on and on.

That also was the average price of a new car. That means, many people of average means could go buy a BRAND NEW 95 mph boat, that looked and sounded good.

Fast forward to today. The average new car price is just under $30K. Tell me what performance boat you can buy with a big block Chevy that goes 95 mph for $30K.

The real problem with today's boats, is the fun per dollar has gone right out the window.

Michael

Last edited by Michael1; 02-24-2012 at 02:21 AM.
Michael1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:49 AM
  #68
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thousand Islands area
My Boats: Fever
Posts: 2,288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1 View Post
The entry level performance boat market is COMPLETELY DEAD.

I know. I've looked. Everywhere.

The entry level boats are gone. They were around until the early 90's, and then all the builders started upsizing, and discontinuing their smaller boats.

To put this in perspective, in 1989, you could buy a 95 mph Hondo flat bottom V-drive for $15,000. That included a 454 with a tunnel ram with dual quads, and the most expensive drive system at the time, a V-drive (not a cheap jet pump or outdrive that falls apart the first time you drop the throttle from a stop). It included chrome over transom exhaust, anodized aluminum pieces, cavitation plate, nice paint, dual axle trailer, and on and on.

That also was the average price of a new car. That means, many people of average means could go buy a BRAND NEW 95 mph boat, that looked and sounded good.

Fast forward to today. The average new car price is just under $30K. Tell me what performance boat you can buy with a big block Chevy that goes 95 mph for $30K.

The real problem with today's boats, is the fun per dollar has gone right out the window.

Michael
Good points. If you think about the smallest performance boat you can get into is like 30ft now and the cheapest one is probably going to cost you at least 100k. I am sorry as much as I love boating a 100k boat just isnt in the cards. In order to justify that I think I would have to make at least 150 plus a year and there isnt a lot of people out there making that kind of dough. The average or common man is between 40-120k

Last edited by soldier4402; 02-24-2012 at 08:46 AM.
soldier4402 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:05 AM
  #69
Registered
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: peabody mass
My Boats: skater 24
Posts: 533
Default

the good news is with the economy in the tank the way it is the used boats can be found for a real bargain i know i saw a 27 fountain on oso for sale for 25k with a built big block and all the good stuff but i have to agree with crazy priced new boats i stopped dreaming about buying a new boat a long time ago
mach1magnum is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:53 AM
  #70
Registered
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: West Palm Beach, Fl
My Boats: 1979 Formula 255 Liberator...My 4th Formula
Posts: 3,051
Default

Along the lines of "The Common Man" idea...not too long ago I was seeking some advice and soliciting some service from a "prominent" OSO sponsor here in South Florida. When I told him what I was doing with my boat I was told " We don't work on boats at that level...we have our standards and will not lower our standards". Really...??? When the economy turns around and I move ahead in the hobby...guess who will never get a dollar of my business!!! There seems to be quite a bit of snobbery with a lot of these "High End" boaters. I had considered at one time joining the Florida Powerboat Club but that incident killed that idea. I have enjoyed success in life but I have never looked down my nose at anyone in this hobby or any other endeavor I have been involved in.
sprink58 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.