Got My First Issue of Boating >

Got My First Issue of Boating

Notices

Got My First Issue of Boating

Old 02-29-2012, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 88242LS
Found a list, let the boycotting begin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

American Photo
Babytalk
BoatingLife 360
Boating
Caribbean Travel + Life
Conceive
Cruising World
Cycle World
Destination Weddings
& Honeymoons
Diversity Best Practices
Field & Stream
Florida Travel + Life
Fly Fishing in Salt Waters
Flying
Garden Design
Islands
Marlin
Motor Boating
Outdoor Life
Parenting
Popular Photography
Popular Science
Sailing World
Salt Water Sportsman
Saveur
Science Illustrated
Scuba Diving
SHOT Business
SKI
Skiing
Skiing Business
SNOW
Sound + Vision
Spa
Sport Diver
Sport Fishing
TransWorld Business
TransWorld Motocross
TransWorld Ride BMX
TransWorld SKATEboarding
TransWorld SNOWboarding
TransWorld SURF
TransWorld WAKEBOARDING
Warren Miller Entertainment
WaterSki
Weldon Owen
Working Mother
World Entertainment Services
World Sports & Marketing
Yachting
Is Conceive a how to type magazine? It may be worth the coin
Old 02-29-2012, 12:06 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
You rarely saw bad reviews because ... we rarely saw bad boats.

Think about it for a moment. You're a builder. You're going to a Powerboat magazine test. Do you think, just maybe, you might prepare, maybe even go the extra mile to make sure everything is right? That is why we took pains to make the point, "that boat on that day."

And when you're getting boats from Skater, MTI, Cigarette, Outerlimits, etc. ... well, OK, you tell me: Which one "deserves" a bad review? The product we got was generally pretty good to great.

I've told this one sentence story before but I'll tell it again now: On the same day a reader called me and told me I was a whore for my review of one builder's model, the builder called Powerboat's publisher and canceled his ad schedule because I was "too hard" on his model. Comes with the job, not a complaint, but something to consider.

As for the rest, I won't comment. Accusations of "misrepresentation" are pretty strong, as well as pretty vague. Not interested in going there.
Matt, I am surprised that you are defending Powerboat so much. I don't want to rehash everything but misrepresentation referred to Teaque's overly ambitious attempt to sell 496 CMI Sporttubes. He would constantly give speed increases of 4-6 mph in his "tech" column. I believed him. I spent $4,600. I saw ZERO gain. Thank goodness the 496 is long gone now. There was also an awful lot of Teaque Marine advertising.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:25 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,917 Likes on 1,320 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
Matt, I am surprised that you are defending Powerboat so much. I don't want to rehash everything but misrepresentation referred to Teaque's overly ambitious attempt to sell 496 CMI Sporttubes. He would constantly give speed increases of 4-6 mph in his "tech" column. I believed him. I spent $4,600. I saw ZERO gain. Thank goodness the 496 is long gone now. There was also an awful lot of Teaque Marine advertising.
Third,

Sorry for what seemed to be a defensive tone. Whenever I try to explain the "inner workings" of Powerboat it comes across as defensive, when really I'm just trying to explain without emotion. But the explanation, in and of itself, comes across as defensive every time and I haven't figured out how to fix that.

You're right. I most definitely no longer have a dog in the fight. Powerboat is done.

I respond because I respect you guys enough to try to give you the answers, at least as I see them. Even to questions that don't matter anymore. And I probably respond because, I will always have unfinished business with the magazine because of the way it went down—make that flushed down—in the end. (But I'm not bitter. )

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the 496 (I think you may have mentioned them before.) If I'd been dispensing advice, I probably would have sent you to Raylar. While I do not have firsthand experience with their upgrades, I have heard good things.

Anyway, sorry for the defensive tone. It was not meant that way and I don't feel that way, but I would be less than honest if I said it doesn't read that way. Cheers.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
Third,

Sorry for what seemed to be a defensive tone. Whenever I try to explain the "inner workings" of Powerboat it comes across as defensive, when really I'm just trying to explain without emotion. But the explanation, in and of itself, comes across as defensive every time and I haven't figured out how to fix that.

You're right. I most definitely no longer have a dog in the fight. Powerboat is done.

I respond because I respect you guys enough to try to give you the answers, at least as I see them. Even to questions that don't matter anymore. And I probably respond because, I will always have unfinished business with the magazine because of the way it went down—make that flushed down—in the end. (But I'm not bitter. )

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the 496 (I think you may have mentioned them before.) If I'd been dispensing advice, I probably would have sent you to Raylar. While I do not have firsthand experience with their upgrades, I have heard good things.

Anyway, sorry for the defensive tone. It was not meant that way and I don't feel that way, but I would be less than honest if I said it doesn't read that way. Cheers.
Matt, you are class act in my opinion and I respect you for how you handle these types of threads. Carry on and do what you do best!
Old 02-29-2012, 03:47 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by BgBoost1
Matt, you are class act in my opinion and I respect you for how you handle these types of threads. Carry on and do what you do best!
Ditto here! None of my comments were about Matt but rather some observations on ways the magazine went downhill.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:57 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 88242LS
Found a list, let the boycotting begin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

American Photo
Babytalk
BoatingLife 360
Boating
Caribbean Travel + Life
Conceive
Cruising World
Cycle World
Destination Weddings
& Honeymoons
Diversity Best Practices
Field & Stream
Florida Travel + Life
Fly Fishing in Salt Waters
Flying
Garden Design
Islands
Marlin
Motor Boating
Outdoor Life
Parenting
Popular Photography
Popular Science
Sailing World
Salt Water Sportsman
Saveur
Science Illustrated
Scuba Diving
SHOT Business
SKI
Skiing
Skiing Business
SNOW
Sound + Vision
Spa
Sport Diver
Sport Fishing
TransWorld Business
TransWorld Motocross
TransWorld Ride BMX
TransWorld SKATEboarding
TransWorld SNOWboarding
TransWorld SURF
TransWorld WAKEBOARDING
Warren Miller Entertainment
WaterSki
Weldon Owen
Working Mother
World Entertainment Services
World Sports & Marketing
Yachting
Whew, glad Car and Driver, Road and Track and Popular Mechanics aren't on the list. I'd be out some Lazy Saturday reading if I was joining some kind of boycott.