Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
who makes the best 28ft boat for the ocean >

who makes the best 28ft boat for the ocean

Notices

who makes the best 28ft boat for the ocean

Old 03-31-2012, 03:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a used 2007 - 28 Pantera, out of the boats you listed...its a very solid rough water boat.

When I was looking to add to my stable - I wanted the largest single I could get that would handle the Bay when it got snotty.

I considered many Manufacturers - For Build and Beef and stable performance I looked at older Cigs, Apache, Active Thunders, Fountains, Sunsations, Activator, Kryptonites, Super Boat, Donzi - and a couple of Cats.

I think in this size range the selection is fantastic...what is so nice about a hull in this range (27' to 33') is there are sooo many options. Beyond this size - you really start to stack the Benjamins and it gets costly very quickly. In aquisition cost, maintenance and operation cost, and what you are hauling it with or Trailering it on, or are you dry docking it in a Rack at a Marina?

I like to trailer and attend Poker Runs in different venues, its exciting for me to meet new people, explore new waters and challenge myself in driving in the various conditions...to me that is the juice... running with others.

All that being said - Pantera is not a fast hull, their newest step hulls are faster than the straight traditional hulls, like I have, but they will never be as quick as an Activator or a Kryptonite, or Super Boat or a Fountain. All things being equal - it boils down to physics - mass and propulsion - power and drive efficiencies. It takes alot of horse power to get a straight hull Pantera to break 80 mph ( 80 is the new 70) I would say on average you are going to need about 650 HP to get into that mph range. Mines now a 572 and a tad over 700 ponies and it runs really nice now... easily breaks 80, even though I seldom go there.

I would argue a Pantera's strength is not in its speed, but in its ability to run very well in the rough - because they are about 6700 lbs dry - the weakness lies in the Drive, you need a serious beefed up drive to handle the Torque if you are running in the Ocean or rough water...even in stock power configurations any hull is going to stress the Drive in re-entry ... in time I will put an SCX or equivalent on mine to handle the current power.... right now I have an XR and its fine .... but if I run it like I stole it... it will twist the gears and shafts like Pasta? Ask me how I know this?

Whats great about this size is they are very towable, I have friends with Activators, Kryptonites and Super Boats...all are much quicker and lighter hulls and fly very level in the rough - so I would also highly suggest you attend some Events in your area or fly into some Poker Runs and get a ride in a couple different hulls... its so much easier to distinguish the various configutations and performance differences that all of these Manufacturers offer.

Each have their benefits....it comes down to personal preference...if its speed and total top end...I wouldn't pick Pantera.... if its going 55 to 65 over 3' or 4' waves and running smooth...then Pantera is your boat.

Remember one thing - it doesn't really matter what you buy as far as speed, because there is always someone faster, bigger, stronger than whatever you are running... always!

So respect what you have, check your ego at the door and boat safe and enjoy your time on the water with whatever you select, you'll have a better experience.

Remember they all run well in calm water...but lets be real... I really think all of these companies build great boats, and there are several West Coast Manufacturers that build awesome boats, Lavey, Howard, ....

There are likely to be more Fountains available than any of the above listed boats....bang for the buck, I think they are a great value - very fast hulls and if you get a well maintained one.... they can be a great ride, I have several friends with them and have never heard a complaint - in your range it would be a 29 single - they run very well.

If you select a Pantera, they seem to be the most balanced with a Single Big Block or twin small blocks, if you went with Twin Big Blocks in a 28 for example they will run fast...but they fly ass heavy...not to mention they are tight to work on in the Engine Bay.

My Single is perfect, you can have a picnic in the Engine bay...and it rides very level in the rough.... it rides like a much larger boat imo, a wave crusher.

I think another key option to consider is do you want to stand or sit down, Activator, Krypts, Super Boats are all sit downs... more of a drivers boat imo.

As far as new vs. used, I think unless there is some serious need for new...I would definitely suggest you buy used, there are sooo many great buys out there in this market that you can save a substantial amount of $Jing by going with a well maintained and cared for used ride. Pay the money to have it looked at by a Mechanic and even a Survey - often Insurance might want that for an Agreed Value Policy anyway...and its nice to have a 3rd party confirm the condition...another set of eyes can look passed the Bling and determine what you are spending your money on?

Most of these boats are pretty forgiving - but all are still point and shoot boats, they all will make you look good - take your time in learning it...and you will have a good time, regardless of what you select.

- if you have any direct Pantera questions feel free to contact me by private message or email.

Exciting looking for a new toy...best of luck

Danny
Old 03-31-2012, 03:45 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by pnwboater
looking for speed , comfort and amenities,

Can you get a new 28 Pantera for 100k ???
You might want to research this pretty thoroughly.

The Long Island boats are pretty killer too: Superboat, Krypt, Progression, Hustler (Some new smaller models I think) et al.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depending on the budget, there are other choices than pantera. A Baja 30 OL is not a bad deal and can be had for a good price with good motors. Fountain 32 Fever (29' boat) Sunsation and of course Sutphen and Sonic ect.

Bottom line line is, there's many good boats and you are the one who buys it, so you are the one who must like it.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:26 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 28

i would have to say a sonic 28ss if you can find one with a single it took me forever to find one, i love mine there is not a 28 out there with a nicer cabin
Old 03-31-2012, 04:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Lavey 2750 has a superb OSS record, can handle HUGE water and has phenominal build quality.

Vacuum bagged construction can be custom ordered for whatever core material you like, and very very fast for its HP and fully interlined, and have many interior features molded into the hull vs tacked on as interior pieces.

Its built from the lessons learned from years of competition.

It has actually been outfitted for modern Marine electronics and key areas strengthened for radar applications.

I have taken this one up and down the Coast From San Diego to Marina Del Rey many times and To Catalina possibly 50 times all in complete security.

There are a lot of great boats in this size and taking your time in this class is a good thing.

Uncle Dave
Attached Thumbnails who makes the best 28ft boat for the ocean-nat-kellers-me.jpg   who makes the best 28ft boat for the ocean-engine-bins.jpg   who makes the best 28ft boat for the ocean-aircraft-carrier.jpg  

who makes the best 28ft boat for the ocean-bimini-shot-san-diego.jpg   who makes the best 28ft boat for the ocean-avalon.jpg  

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 03-31-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:26 PM
Registered
VIP Member

A 32 fountain makes a great 28ft boat
Old 03-31-2012, 07:04 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Which of those boats can you get for $100K new--with what power?

What do you want in your new boat?

I'd love the opportunity to earn your business.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by pnwboater
looking for speed , comfort and amenities,

Can you get a new 28 Pantera for 100k ???
Depends, maybe maybe not. Suggest you research their buisness practices Judgments, lawsuits and more then a few buyers who funded other builds.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:28 PM
Registered

Bayliner
Old 03-31-2012, 07:55 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cpiefer06
Bayliner

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.