Card Stop 1, Controversy Desert Storm

Notices

Card Stop 1, Controversy Desert Storm

Old 05-16-2012, 11:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by low_psi
Stop turning this thread into a *****fest about poker runs not being races. Go start your own thread and complain there. Desert Storm draws the large crowds because of the ridiculously fast boats that participate. If you don't like what DS is or about, don't participate, don't watch, etc! Why is it every thread on this forum has to take a 90 degree turn in another direction because a few just want to complain? This thread was started to stir up some good ole fun about who was first and some of you want to turn it into a safety lesson... Post your complaints on how a poker run isnt a race in the "safety" section of the board!

As far as requesting Dave edit his video to remove terms like "race" to make is just STUPID! I am so tired of people expecting everyone around them to cater to them. If you don't like the video and the references made don't watch it!

Agreed!
Old 05-16-2012, 11:25 PM
Registered

Who won the shoot out???
Old 05-16-2012, 11:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HEDGEHOGER
Who won the shoot out???
Somehow, an organized and controlled speed contest doesn't seem to be a popular, but they did have WIND at the event.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:57 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RiverDave
Ok guys let me address few concerns as well as correct a SERIOUS misconception.

To correct the most common misconception first.

1. The phrase "The Promoters" is used over and over in this thread.. To be very clear I am not part of Desert Storm. I am NOT a promoter. We are a group of guys that got together and went out and filmed an event to the best of our abilities. We on our own went out and solicited some sponsorship to help offset the enormous cost of equipment, helicopters, paid TV personalities etc..

Jim Nichols and the PROMOTERS are doing their very best and are VERY CLEAR that it is NOT a race and they quite frankly do not give 2 shiats about the 1st card stop or who was there. Please see video at 9:25 mark.. In the drivers meeting people are told to NOT drive aggressively and if they want to be that guy then to save it for the shootout..

Now for a second and more important part.. Please read this exceprt from the article I wrote titled "DCB taking down Desert Storm part 1 / 2"

The Desert Storm staff is doing everything they can to push away the competition for card stop one and push it into the shootout plain and simple. To reiterate a portion of that article though, in future years you probably will see a lot more video of the shootout, and a lot less of card stop 1, as well as articles.. But THIS YEAR (again past tense) the "vibe" was still all about card stop 1.

The idea that "if" something happened "then..." is certainly an arguable point, and I can completely respect boatme's opinions with regard to that.. But the fact is we covered it past tense, and nothing happened, and the promoters are making the changes, so the idea that this could potentially hurt something in the future is ludicrous.. Point in fact if ANYTHING this helps draw attention too the fact that Desert Storm is being a leader in the Poker Run circuit by encouraging participation in the shootout, and even taking steps to defuse the competition relating to card stop one.

If someone somewhere else, possibly mars, has an event and "something" happens and potentially the sky falls in, and I get subpoenaed to a court case to testify that Poker runs are in fact thinly veiled races.. My testimony is going to say very clearly "During the event that the video in question is being discussed yes there was a friendly competition of who would be first.. That being said it happened in the PAST, and the promoters were proactive, BEFORE incident to change the dynamic of the event so that it would minimize that competition and put it into a more politically correct and structured/controlled setting. I know other promoters event coordinators have been doing the same. While it was a fun and enjoyable thing to watch back then, unfortunately due to today's litigious society it is fairly well known that Poker run's are not races."

So let me set you guys straight on a couple of things that are living in the "if this then that" land.. "If" xyz happened at an event "then" this video isn't gonna amount to a hill of beans.. Removing it / Changing it / whatever'ing it isn't going to change the fact that the blood sucking lawyers are going to come out of the wood work..

Lets say I remove the video (which I'm not), they will drag this thread up.. and let me tell you out of all the posts which will do the most damage or help the case.. boatme's and others like it. So while I can re-edit the video (if one of you guys complaining about it want to send the $$$ to pay the guys to re-edit it, because I'm certainly not gonna pay for it), are you going to chase every post on every message board on the internet that mentions the word "race" with regard to a Poker Run? Because that's how absurd it is for you to ask me to do this.

It is unfortunate that the TV personality I hired screwed up and used the word "race" and I wish I could go back and change that.. But the event is over, and I can't go reshoot the interview. Ian Howard did a great job, and in his field he spend 99% of his time covering race footage so it was a "slip" of the tounge so to speak. As for "re-edit" I'm game.. Someone send me a cashiers check for 1500.00 I'll have it pulled down, re-edited, re-uploaded and start over.." I'm going to have to refund CP Performances $$ right off the bat because now I will have no way to track web traffic, show exposure etc on this particular video.. So if you're that concerned about it again, YOU pay for it, and it'll make sure to get it done.

RD
Thanks for the responce and I agree with you the lawyers will get you just because they can. WE will agree to disagree on some of the other parts of your post .

As I have said I enjoy your videos and will continue to enjoy when they are posted
Marc
Old 05-17-2012, 05:51 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

Who won the shoot out???

I like her better without the helmet...

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
Old 05-17-2012, 06:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
Somehow, an organized and controlled speed contest doesn't seem to be a popular, but they did have WIND at the event.
Absolutely not.. As the videos unfold to tell the story of desert storm, the shoot out will be featured as well.. Problem is there are only so many hours in a day to make them ands they are very time consuming.. I have two or three more to release and then I'll be waiting a week again or so for the next batch..

RD
Old 05-17-2012, 06:55 AM
Registered

Cool

Who won the shoot out???
Don Lunden at 157mph.. Summer Lunden (daughter) at 153mph.

RD

Last edited by RiverDave; 05-17-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:55 AM
Registered

Absolutely not.. As the videos unfold to tell the story of desert storm, the shoot out will be featured as well.. Problem is there are only so many hours in a day to make them ands they are very time consuming.. I have two or three more to release and then I'll be waiting a week again or so for the next batch..

RD
Huh? There hundreds in the poker run and <40 in the shoot out?
Old 05-17-2012, 09:14 AM
Registered

Talking

[
Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
Huh? There hundreds in the poker run and <40 in the shoot out?
Well Nort... LOL It would seem a lot of boats Broke trying to be 1st to the card stop..

RD
Old 05-17-2012, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[

It would seem a lot of boats Broke trying to be 1st to the card stop.
Now THAT'S funny!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.