Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Fed up with WI DNR Boat reg >

Fed up with WI DNR Boat reg

Notices

Fed up with WI DNR Boat reg

Old 05-19-2012, 05:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Illinois is just as bad....everyone is trying to get as much revenue from the working class as possible...gotta justify there budgets and existence,plus no one stands up to any of them, most just take it and move on...
Old 05-19-2012, 10:55 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

The Illinois DNR sucks too. Played cat and mouse with them today. Just out to make money.I am totally legal, but don't want to go near them as they will find something to ticket you for. I wish they would cut off there funds as they are worthelss. Only out to write tickers.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:39 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by hpy540
Can a person register a boat in AZ and run it in WI? I have a uncle that lives there.
Yes, and if you buy private party to private party there is no tax. You will need to use uncle's address and probably put it in his name. If AZ knows that it is your boat and you live out of state you can do a non resident AZ registration with your local (out of state address) but the cost is about $250 per year rather than $15 or $20 a year. Sometimes they want to see the boat to verify the numbers. Best to call Phoenix dept of Game and Fish on the phone and tell them what you want to do and they will either send you the paperwork or tell you what is required.
But don't deal with Fish and Game in Kingman AZ, the woman who works there is a B-tch!! and tough to work with.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:45 PM
Platinum Member

So whats up with coast guard Doccumentaion. fees adn rules that apply to that?
I don't think you will be able to document your boat, not big/heavy enough. I currently have a 27' Hallett with twins in it and they wouldn't let me document it. When I had my 35' Fountain it was no problem. There is an on line form and a formula to calculate but I am pretty sure you won't qualify.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:44 AM
Registered

when i did boardings vessel could "visit" another state for upto 30 days, if vessel stayed there over that 30 days it required change in registration. you can't just change state numbers. it becomes tax evasion. documenting a vessel changes status of vessel, requires different insurance and safety equipment along with testing and inspections. if i remember the operator should hold coast guard license. it's been awhile, got away from boating safety before head got too big. if coast guard stops you they must do cg4100 form and provide copy, keep original on boat, presenting copy they should move on unless stop is for violation. in which case they must do cg4100 again. dnr thats different horse, just got back from merc school, guys from ohio told of city, county and state issuing boating safety stickers ontop of registration. the stickers were $35 each. makes me mad, my job was to teach and help not rack up money for congress to blow on the useless.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:21 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 515 Posts

Delaware!

You can open a corporation in Delaware just for your boat. Lots of people use this to avoid sales tax.

Look up Russ (thp500s) here on OSO. There are a couple legit companies out there that can help you set it up. I am sure there are some scammers out there too.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Coast Guard has been good to me here in Michigan. I usually get boarded once a year. I've never been ticketed or harassed. Don't get cocky or belligerent with them because they are Homeland Security and can do anything they want. All of my encounters have resulted in me getting a certificate that says "thank you for promoting safe boating." Even when I asked the lady officer last year to not spill my open beer can that was sitting on the floor. Best to let them see it then to let them see you try to hide it!

Our local water deputies all got laid off so it is a free for all on the inland lakes in Oakland County. They will only respond to accidents and emergencies.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:54 AM
Registered

these MF's here in the center of the state have Napoleon syndrome something horrible! I sat next to 2 of them in a bar one night and all they talked about is ways to doctor charges and charge stack. If I can operate here and have registered some where else, that is what I am going to do. I do not want to give them any more money than i already have.I gave up snowmobiling because of them as well as hunting and fishing.

can I documents and then have the from a neighboring state like MN ? I have heard AZ is the easiest. If I can print out online and have it back on the water by this aft that would be even better. The boat I'd 25,10 LOA. It has couches a bed a grille in the cuddy.

The short dick MF,s don't have the money to go out on the water in their patrol boat these days. So they are hasseling everyone at the landings.

I remember a Timeshop law enforcement es these to protect and serve. Not about "GENERATING REVENUE' the head of DNR went to jail a few yeas back for misappropriation of funds. Sound like his subordinate learned well and is doing the same thing. Just Niger idiot cronies and fill their egos full and turn em loose on the public.
I understand your frustrations, but I'll guess you will be harassed even more and with penalties if you try to beat the system with AZ or ? registration.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:45 AM
Registered

[QUOTE=Downtown42;3691057]A documented vessel in WI still needs the WI DNR state stickers on each side of the name on the transom.

Not sure about this Dave, my friend boats with me all of the time and has his Coast Guard #'s on the stern of his Fountain. No WI DNR stickers. When we pass the DNR or sheriff up here and they see no stickers on the side, they then wait until he passes them and then look at his stern. When they see he has numbers there they go on their way. He has never been stopped.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Double Down
Downtown42]A documented vessel in WI still needs the WI DNR state stickers on each side of the name on the transom.

Not sure about this Dave, my friend boats with me all of the time and has his Coast Guard #'s on the stern of his Fountain. No WI DNR stickers. When we pass the DNR or sheriff up here and they see no stickers on the side, they then wait until he passes them and then look at his stern. When they see he has numbers there they go on their way. He has never been stopped.
That is all good but....

pg 5 or 7 explains the WI legal law as I stated in the DNR Documented boat section

http://dnr.wi.gov/files/PDF/pubs/LE/LE0301.pdf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.