Fed up with WI DNR Boat reg >

Fed up with WI DNR Boat reg

Notices

Fed up with WI DNR Boat reg

Old 05-20-2012, 09:50 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dkahnjob
But don't deal with Fish and Game in Kingman AZ, the woman who works there is a B-tch!! and tough to work with.
lmao!!
Old 05-20-2012, 10:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
Coast Guard has been good to me here in Michigan. I usually get boarded once a year. I've never been ticketed or harassed. Don't get cocky or belligerent with them because they are Homeland Security and can do anything they want. All of my encounters have resulted in me getting a certificate that says "thank you for promoting safe boating." Even when I asked the lady officer last year to not spill my open beer can that was sitting on the floor. Best to let them see it then to let them see you try to hide it!

Our local water deputies all got laid off so it is a free for all on the inland lakes in Oakland County. They will only respond to accidents and emergencies.
I read that Lake Orion and some other Oakland county lakes are paying for their water deputies this year. I cant remember but I think it was paid for by the township taxes. The deputy on Lake Orion never really harasses anyone but the one time that I called them about a fight at the boat launch they never showed up. Things got pretty ugly, I think they were afraid to handle the situation.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:22 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by hadleycat
I read that Lake Orion and some other Oakland county lakes are paying for their water deputies this year. I cant remember but I think it was paid for by the township taxes. The deputy on Lake Orion never really harasses anyone but the one time that I called them about a fight at the boat launch they never showed up. Things got pretty ugly, I think they were afraid to handle the situation.
They had always been really good to me except recently when a new lakefront resident who apparently had some pull started calling them anytime a Donzi was running hard on the lake. I had never gotten a water ticket in about 20 years of boating on Lake Oakland. They would try to radar me but it's hard to do from shore . Then Deputy Dipsh!t got his panties in a bunch and came out in his boat and harassed me while we were anchored and relaxing. They had gotten a noise complaint. He ordered me to pull anchor and plane out. Of course I could have flipped the lanyard switch and told him we were dead in the water and could we please get a tow , but I didn't. Instead I flipped on the Q&Q . My guest is a poor swimmer and I let him use my lifeline so I pulled anchor and we started to vest up. He actually told us not to put on our vests because we weren't going far! I sternly told him that we always wear our life vests when on plane and we donned them. Then I planed out and went to the public dock. They (he & his partner) were too stupid to realize that the exhaust was not coming out the tips. He still said that it was way too loud and that we were lucky he didn't have his decibel meter, lol.
Then he scolded us for having a lifeline jacket. I explained that it was an expensive racing vest. When he wouldn't give it up I informed him that there was no law that we even had to wear vests. Then he pulled his ticket pad out. Then I said "oh, you want to see Coast Guard approved ones" and pulled out the neoprenes. That pissed him off and he wrote me up for illegal numbers on the boat. His partner was just quietly shaking his head is disbelief the whole time! That was my only bad experience ever with water cops and my only water ticket ever. I'm glad they are laid off. Some communities are paying for week-end patrols or creating their own marine divisions but Lake Oakland is still a free for all on the week-ends and I don't have to worry about them hiding in the bushes at the launch site with the radar gun during the week . The big lakes is where the fun is anyway but I live almost on Lake Oakland and we used to have a lot of Donzis. Now there are about 4 full time Donzis on the lake.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:17 AM
Registered

thanks Dave,
I'll pass that on to him!
Old 05-21-2012, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can always fight the state and tax man, but I have always thought keeping my property in my name in the correct state in the long run will be less of a hassle. Specially when you start talking re sale, getting pulled over in etc. I beleive boats are like cars in most states you dont need it to be registered in the state you are using it in. But if you have a valid DL in that state I would assume they might want that boat registered in that state.

Last edited by soldier4402; 05-21-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:13 AM
Registered

What about FL registration. WI DNR are a bunch of Natzi Wannabee's, so damn power hungry and needing to prove themselves. I am thinking my uncle In FL is more open to this idea as he used to work at the Cape and now owns a bar and gets hassled all the time.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:33 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by hpy540
What about FL registration. WI DNR are a bunch of Natzi Wannabee's, so damn power hungry and needing to prove themselves. I am thinking my uncle In FL is more open to this idea as he used to work at the Cape and now owns a bar and gets hassled all the time.
If your boat is insured you will pay more to have it insured for Fla!
Old 05-21-2012, 11:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by articfriends
If your boat is insured you will pay more to have it insured for Fla!
Problem I have is personally I wouldnt want somebody elses property in my name. All that means is im now legally tax liable as well as liable for that happens in that boat or what that boat hits or touches.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:43 AM
Registered

Ran into the same things when registering my boat. Guy had boat title but he didn't register the trailer and didn't have a title. Plus there is no VIN on trailer. No biggie I thought, title it in IL as a homemade trailer, they never checked before.

IL changed thier homemade trailer laws and now it has to be inspected by state police. Knowing it wouldn't pass, decided to do trailer in IN under g/fs name. much easier and then eventually transfer plates to my name in IL.

I was going to still register the boat in my name in IL since it was cheaper. Well the Conservation officer that did trailer inspection asked me about it and basically said I needed to register the boat in IN too since that is where I am going to be using it 95% of the time. Not sure if it was law or not, but figured it would save me the hassle out on the water if I did it that way. Costing me about 200 more over 3 yrs then registering in IL. Eventually I am moving to IN anyways.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mcourson
Ran into the same things when registering my boat. Guy had boat title but he didn't register the trailer and didn't have a title. Plus there is no VIN on trailer. No biggie I thought, title it in IL as a homemade trailer, they never checked before.

IL changed thier homemade trailer laws and now it has to be inspected by state police. Knowing it wouldn't pass, decided to do trailer in IN under g/fs name. much easier and then eventually transfer plates to my name in IL.

I was going to still register the boat in my name in IL since it was cheaper. Well the Conservation officer that did trailer inspection asked me about it and basically said I needed to register the boat in IN too since that is where I am going to be using it 95% of the time. Not sure if it was law or not, but figured it would save me the hassle out on the water if I did it that way. Costing me about 200 more over 3 yrs then registering in IL. Eventually I am moving to IN anyways.
You can register trailers in Maine for cheap and still keep your title, but that means you need the title first or a transferable registration. I live in NY and trailer is titled in NY but registered in Maine, cost 90 bucks for 5 years, no inspection no re-uping. Big thing is just getting something in your name.

It really amazed me how people own property and never put it in there name at least. I would think insurance is if something were to happen might hassle you if its not legally owned on paper by you.

Personal story just bought a 5th wheel, title is clean and all on it ask the guy whos name is this? Old Owner, its an open title, theres no such thing as an open title where you can just pass it along person to person. So I said OK the title was clean and signed he had a release for the trailer on the lien that obviously wasnt on the title because he didnt techincally own it. Go to the bank and I knew they wouldnt take it, and they didnt. Call the guy back two options you title it or the check goes to old owner, needless to say I got confirmation that he titled it that day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.